oiling plumbing/teflon tape useage?

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
I am going to add an oiling gallery bypass copper tube (1/4 NPT/3/8 tubing). the guy made no mention of useing this tape but another vid swears by it for no leaks (tho it was a water pipe plumbing app). I'm a little skeptical of it as I dont want to contaminate my oil but I thought I'd ask, use it generously on the ferrule like they did in the plumbing vid) and or some on the NPT threads. what do you guys think? thank you for your time. RR

One or two threads back from the start, and if you are worried about any excess when it's tight, tear it off. Use it sparingly, it's hardly gonna leak anyway

OK, the tape is tall so I might need to cut it lengthwise to shorten the height & use it one or two threads back from the start. OK to use some on the ferrule?

I use tape because that's what I've got. I've never put any on a ferrule before. Like the above......1 or 2 threads back so it won't end up in the oil gallery. Make sure you wind it in the right direction.

Permatex PST592 liquid teflon. Do it once... do it right !
Does this allow for some repositioning? I was thinking about using it for the coolant passage bolts that you have to slightly loosen whenever you adjust the alt or PS belts.

Does this allow for some repositioning? I was thinking about using it for the coolant passage bolts that you have to slightly loosen whenever you adjust the alt or PS belts.
Ya, it's pretty free flowing. Get it where you need it and let it sit. I haven't had a single fitting leak on anything in over 30 years.

Ya, it's pretty free flowing. Get it where you need it and let it sit. I haven't had a single fitting leak on anything in over 30 years.
I was hoping to reposition after time behind the wheel, as the belts stretch.

The ferrule stays dry. I use Teflon tape a few threads in like mentioned.

I don't like using Teflon tape on automotive applications. It seems like for any kind of pressure application it doesn't work very well. Although I did wrap the differential drain plug on Gladys with it recently, for me, its use is very limited on vehicles. I've had great success with RTV and Permatex #2. I remember when I worked at the local Chevy dealer in Macon back in the 80s, there was a TSB on the liquid Teflon saying not to use it, that it dried out and leaked. We all already were figuring that out and using RTV. Back then, you had to specify "sensor safe" RTV, because not all of it was compatible with computer sensors and would trip a check engine light. I would try the stuff @dadsbee said though, because I'm sure it's been reformulated and works well, although I still use the RTV or #2. If @dadsbee uses it, you better believe it works with the level of restoration work that he does.

Thanks Rob. I've been using PST592 on Aviation fittings for over 30 years, that and every other "plumbing" NPT fitting in the yard. NEVER a leak....

Thanks Rob. I've been using PST592 on Aviation fittings for over 30 years, that and every other "plumbing" NPT fitting in the yard. NEVER a leak....
Yeah, if you use it on something that FLIES, it probably works pretty good. lol

-
Back