OK....another decoding question.......

-

Blue62Val

Reaction score
G'day guys,

I've been looking everywhere to try and decode this tag, and haven't got a reply because I think I posted in the wrong section.

It's off a 1964 Barracuda.

YES.....I have tried finding a decode site or at least something that will help, but I've drawn blank. This tag seems different in it's codes to the general fender tags, so.......

Can anyone here help me out. I'm just curious what this tag means…..why the AB don’t have numbers under them….. why the top line has nothing…..

Also YES.....I've tried the EarlyCuda site.....

Thanks in advance, Peter

barra_tag.jpg

SO 0407 = Scheduled assembly date April 7, 1964.
Number 3378 = order number from zone rep to Chrysler Detroit.
V49 = Valiant line Barracuda.
P5X = Premium interior bucket seats, black interior
Pnt KKB = Paint
K = Body color Turquoise
K = Roof color Turquoise
B = upper door paint black.

#5 under the "A" is Torqueflite transmission.
#1 under the F is Am radio Music MAster Economy
#5 under the H is Front heater with defrost
#3 under the M is Back up lights
#8 under the N Windshield washer, dual jet
#2 under the P Outside left remote mirror
#8 under the T is 48a battery

The numbers on top weren't used in 1964 from what I see

SO 0407 = Scheduled assembly date April 7, 1964.
Number 3378 = order number from zone rep to Chrysler Detroit.
V49 = Valiant line Barracuda.
P5X = Premium interior bucket seats, black interior
Pnt KKB = Paint
K = Body color Turquoise
K = Roof color Turquoise
B = upper door paint black.
K paint is light Turquoise and L is Dark turquoise.....

Maybe it's because you have an early expected build date and it is the first year for a Barracuda. A Valiant tag search decoder might come in handy here. All the later tags I have seen would have numbers under the Capital AB and sometimes the C if you had a performance package car or formula s car. The online tag decoders support what you are saying as typically they would have the engine packages under the AB. The top line having nothing is normal. Luckily you have moderators like Mike with good information you can't get off a typical online search.

Maybe it's because you have an early expected build date and it is the first year for a Barracuda. A Valiant tag search decoder might come in handy here. All the later tags I have seen would have numbers under the Capital AB and sometimes the C if you had a performance package car or formula s car. The online tag decoders support what you are saying as typically they would have the engine packages under the AB. The top line having nothing is normal. Luckily you have moderators like Mike with good information you can't get off a typical online search.
AB was engine in 65. Not in 64. 64 Barracuda's were a mid year release. (Apr 1 1964)

An example of another 1964 body code plate for a Dart GT 273 V8 for comparison. My top line does have an 8 in it and the middle line cannot be decoded with any sense with online decoders. It just doesn't match anything on my car.
But the number 5 under the A matches the authors V8 Barracuda body plate. So there is that.

The bottom line is easy to decode.

Accurate 1964 "early A" decoders may not be available.
It may be my California plant build that makes it more difficult.

Chrysler Historical came back with a "no record found" on my car.

body code plate1.jpg

AB was engine in 65. Not in 64. 64 Barracuda's were a mid year release. (Apr 1 1964)
True that. The online vin decoder the op is using is 62-65 and they don't make that distinction. It's confusing to people without experience in decoding early Barracuda tags as the op expected to see engine numbers under the AB.

An example of another 1964 body code plate for a Dart GT 273 V8 for comparison. My top line does have an 8 in it and the middle line cannot be decoded with any sense with online decoders. It just doesn't match anything on my car.
But the number 5 under the A matches the authors V8 Barracuda body plate. So there is that.

View attachment 1716291556
So your Dart is a L445? on the VIN tag?

My Galen book says L= Dart V8, 4=GT, 4=1964, and 5=LA built. (answering D/Dart man's post)
Page 47 shows '64 body codes (fender tag) for LA. Each plant was different for a 64 A-body. Lynch Road, ST Louis, Hamtrack or LA.

For LA, Galen's book only shows sales codes for A trans, C Engine, H Radio and L heater. Unconfirmed/unknown for the rest.

My Galen book says L= Dart V8, 4=GT, 4=1964, and 5=LA built. (answering D/Dart man's post)
I have only seen L42 for 2 dr hardtop and L45 for convertible and L76 is a station wagon.
L452 in vin# in 1965 indicates L = Dart V8, 4 = Dart GT premium, 5 = 1965 and 2 = assembly plant Dodge Main ( Hamtramck).

G'day guys,

I've been looking everywhere to try and decode this tag, and haven't got a reply because I think I posted in the wrong section.

It's off a 1964 Barracuda.

YES.....I have tried finding a decode site or at least something that will help, but I've drawn blank. This tag seems different in it's codes to the general fender tags, so.......

Can anyone here help me out. I'm just curious what this tag means…..why the AB don’t have numbers under them….. why the top line has nothing…..

Also YES.....I've tried the EarlyCuda site.....

Thanks in advance, Peter

View attachment 1716290862
One of the earlies cars I have see, April 7, would be good to see if the Barracuda emblems on the fenders are the long a and if you have a valiant badge on the upper rear valance

I have only seen L42 for 2 dr hardtop and L45 for convertible and L76 is a station wagon.
L452 in vin# in 1965 indicates L = Dart V8, 4 = Dart GT premium, 5 = 1965 and 2 = assembly plant Dodge Main ( Hamtramck).
Just to clarify, I was talking about 1964 and quoting D/Dart man's fender tag he posted as an example. Sorry for the confusion.

View attachment 1716291556

So your Dart is a L445? on the VIN tag?

To everyone who replied here - thanks very very much.

I have learnt heaps just from your posts, not just the codes but reasons this decode is maybe different to other models.
This is a car I'm considering getting, and just wanted to see what it was meant to have. I've never considered the earlier Barracudas, but I think I like the idea of the smaller V8 and also the size of the A body.
I was thinking of getting a Sport Fury......but the Barracudas have grown on me.

Many thanks again.

Peter

To everyone who replied here - thanks very very much.

I have learnt heaps just from your posts, not just the codes but reasons this decode is maybe different to other models.
This is a car I'm considering getting, and just wanted to see what it was meant to have. I've never considered the earlier Barracudas, but I think I like the idea of the smaller V8 and also the size of the A body.
I was thinking of getting a Sport Fury......but the Barracudas have grown on me.

Many thanks again.

Peter
Peter,
These are great little cars and vastly undervalued which makes them a good choice for a conservative buyer. The knowledge and support you would get from this site alone adds to their value. You also have 2 model years to draw used parts from with the exception of things that are specific to the 64 or 65 model years. When you get an early Barracuda, they won't just grow on you but also around you. We see people all the time that will flag us down or pull over where we are just to share a story about these early cars. We once had an elderly lady pull off the highway with her grandson. She asked to look at the 65 we have and walked around it with her grandson to show him the car. She thanked us and when leaving she said she had fond memories of how the back seat folded down from when she was a teenager. Then she winked at me and went on her way...LOL true story! Best of luck Peter thanks for posting.

-
Back