Ok Can't answer this one myself Magnum Intake on an LA head

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
Got a buddy that wants to put an old LA into his 2000 5.9 equipped Durango and he was asking me if there was a way to keep his F/I intake on a 1970 360 LA he has had for a while. I'm not sure if the intake will work unless it's redrilled for the LA head surface.

Anyone done this or know of an intake that he could use his F/I stuff on?

You could have the heads drilled to accept the magnum intake. I'm not sure what you'd do about the motor mounts though. A mag engine has motor mounts that bolt to "pads" which are aft of the ears for an LA block. You can swap a LA for a mag, but not a mag for a LA, not without custom motor mounts and some welding. As mentioned, go get another 5.9 mag, it's a lot easier and more powerful.

Don't know about the motor mounts or how to make that work, but the easiest way to keep the SMPI manifold would be to swap the heads with it. Only way to do it that I know of.

Dion's idea is the best idea. Then you'll need oil through pushrods and AMC lifters, which are mostly what is available through the aftermarket when you order a lifter set for your MoPar.

To be safe, order AMC lifters.

I know my Crosswind intake by Professional Products is drilled for both LA and Magnum heads. Mine is a carbureted manifold but it does have bosses drilled for fuel injectors if im not mistaken or im sure theres an adapter to put a TBI system on it.

I'll bet if you look around PP prolly makes a similar manifold so that the stock fuel system can be used.

you would nee some niffty adaptor plates to mount the engine, maybe the old style ears are in the way too, can't remember.

crank sensor/wheel, redrill heads to accept mag syle if using old heads, if using mag heads...oil through lifters/pushrods.
to name a few

...crank sensor/wheel...

Forgot about that. That would be a deal killer, I think.

I am working on a similar swap and am building a crank pickup using a wheel on the cam, but I am a long way from figure it all out yet.

-
Back