ok electrical gurus.....

-

redfastback

Don't ask me... my garage is empty
Reaction score
i did some work to my electrical system and want to see if my "theory" is correct. if some of you have read my resto thread, you'll know that i modified some engine bay wiring.
well, here is the theory. i opened the harness, took out ballast resistor, voltage regulator, alternator field wiring and made an 8ga wire with a 12ga fusible link go from the 1 wire alternator(70 amp) to the starter relay stud for power. the inside wires going to the ammeter(originally red and black) i put 2 16 ga fusible links in the bulkhead where the black and red would normally come out. they come together and have a red wire that goes to the starter relay stud for power. now, i left the ammeter hooked up, and it reads nothing. just stays in the center, and the wires don't get hot. before being on the charging system, the ammeter would show just above center.
is the ammeter only reading the circuit inside, or is it able to read the whole system? i guess what i am getting at is why disconnect the ammeter if it does not have any large amps going thru it? the headlights are on relays so there is no more large amounts of juice going inside.

i am curious to hear if you think my theory is right or wrong. i have discussed this with alot of people and they think my theory sounds logical but i just don't have an actual amp gauge to see how many amps are running inside.

your ammeter is reading absolutely nothing at this point, when you tied the two "fusible links" together, the difference between the two,{amperage between them}, was bypassed.

The ammeter used to be between the alt and battery. Now it's doing nothing as it has been bypassed (which is a good thing).

Run a voltmeter and be done with it.

The ammeter used to be between the alt and battery. Now it's doing nothing as it has been bypassed (which is a good thing).

Run a voltmeter and be done with it.

have had a voltmeter for years.:-D just wondered about the amp flow thru THAT circuit.:-k

your ammeter is reading absolutely nothing at this point, when you tied the two "fusible links" together, the difference between the two,{amperage between them}, was bypassed.

that was what i was thinking. since it used to be the "bridge" between the alt and battery, it now isn't asked to do that job anymore.

-
Back