Ok fixing this 15 year issue and a 727 question

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
So , my wiring harness is all redone ( after 15 years ) by a very good mopar guy around here ( Montreal ) its a 76 so he had to redo a complete 75 318 harness that i had in spare , it was something because 75-76 dusters harnesses doesnt exist in repros, Now the next step , my 727 doesnt shift good and makes a metallic noise while shifting in 2nd and my trans guy is pretty sure its the bands , i bought 2x 727s one that is rebuilt and the other one for parts , i went crazy and bought an dual plane intake ( running a single plane /hi rise ) , 2x sets of oem kickdown rods and even a lokar cable : i want to fix this for once and for all , 7th trans rebuilt in 15 years...yes 7th one , 6 of them was garanteed and rebuilt by the same tranny shop 12 years ago , **** my big question is , if i put a bone stock 727 with a stock stall and shorter height intake and a chrysler 3 pieces kickdown will i be okay with my 380hp mopar crate ? Do i really need all these aftermarket nic nacs , its a street car with a strong engine and 3.91 suregrip gears , but my trans was always a huge problem but was fixed when i sold it 6 years ago...but last owner didnt take care of the car and some twit played with the throttle cable and kickdown , so im at square onw now , thx guys PS: i dont want to go reverse valve body

If you are destroying that many transmissions, "something is wrong." Either the rebuilder is an idiot, or your kickdown is killing them, or "something."

The whole deal with kickdown is that there are many OEM pieces, just like drive pulleys, and "they are a zoo." If you don't have a known good compatible setup, I would just go with a cable of some kind

I don't really know much about the driveability of 380hp crates, but not really sure you'd be happy with a "bone stock" stall converter.

^^^ agree, something is killing the transmissions. You need to find a complete setup from a 4 barrel car, all of the arms and the levers from the transmission(they are different lengths). Or get a Lokar set and adjust it to your car.

Yeah when I was in High School in 78-79 I had a 2 hr auto class and we needed a project car. I bought a 71 demon with a slipping 727. Week 2 my instructor helped me rebuild it. I ended up rebuilding 11 more that year for others and EVERY single one had a bad seal on the 1st/reverse clutch. I think after all the years and engine swaps, those linkages for the throttle pressure/kick down got tossed and I swear that is the issue with most of these now, mine included. The Lokar cable is just not the same in my opinion and I'm still fighting mine on my car to get it right.

-
Back