OK, good things do come to those who wait(procrastinate)

-

hemichuck

Reaction score
So I get on Craigslist last night looking for a pickup truck and I type in Dodge under the all for sale heading and Im shopping through and I see an ad for a 360/ 4 inch stroke short block. and I notice it got posted 16 hours ago so I mark it and keep shopping. I get up this morning and call the guy who happens to work at a Chrysler dealership building engines and he tells me the guy who owned it had it built by Hughes and he didnt like it so he wanted to replace it with a 360 short block so of course the obvious question was "what didnt he like about it?" so he proceeded to tell me that this guy had it in a truck with a stock torque convertor and he felt that it didnt pull hard enough and it didnt get very good fuel milage and he said that it had a Hughes cam in it and it probably needed a bigger convertor to get it up into the range where it made power. The customer didnt want an aftermarket convertor and had them replace the short block. So he said it was sitting on the core pile and he grabbed it. He took it apart and replaced the rings and bearings and said everything else looked good so he put it back together and had it sit around a couple of months and decided he wasnt going to use it so he stuck it on Craigslist. I went over to check it out and it is a 1997 Magnum 5.9 block, Scat 4 inch crank, Scat rods and Icon Forged pistons with the dish. It has a Hughes cam in it with the lifters(not sure which one) a double roller chain and a tensioner ARP main bolts, and he also gave me a set of ARP head bolts and the truck oil pan with a Mellings High Pressure pump for $1200. Last year I scored a set of Edelbrock magnum heads brand new in the box for $700 and a Performer RPM air gap for $100. I bought a set of nice roller rockers at the Indy show last year for $100 and a Milidon Pro Touring pan at the Indy show this year for $75. So right now I'm at $2175 for a whole new 408. by the time I get a few gaskets and a couple of other things it will be in my car for under $2500.

Patience coupled with a sharp eye (and a bit of luck) can yield some outstanding results, well done sir. I'm a little envious.

Heck yeah, that's an awesome feeling finding something you've wanted for so long and it turns out to be an even cheaper/easier deal than you expected lol. I spent that much building my 360 and it has basically stock bottom end save for KB hyper flat-tops, also no Al. heads or Milodon pan or roller cam, damn you hit the jackpot!

The sad part is I have a block, pistons and eagle rods for a magnum 408 project laying around here and Ive been putting off buying the crank to finish it up. I guess now I can sell some of that stuff. I tried to post some pics but it wont take them off my Iphone for some reason. If I can get them downloaded I will stick them on here.

-
Back