Ok im back/Mopar story

-

73DartSport340

Reaction score
Last year I sold My 1969 RoadRunner and bought a 73 Dart Sport. I got a lot of flack about that at the time. Guys were saying how I wa taking a step back and how could I trade a B Body for a A body. And about how a RoadRunner IS a real muscle car and A bodies are not etc......

I never really liked that RoadRunner got it as a spur of the moment thing ....wife said she wanted kids I said no kids before I get my car :) if we do kids first I will NEVER see a car becuase she would say we dont have the $$$$......she agreed to let me get the car first......in a hurry to get a car before she changed her mind :) I basicaly picked up the first Mopar I came across that looked like a good deal. I got the RoadRunner....but never really fell in love with it and just never really liked that body style(not B bodies but just the RoadRunner I love the 71 RoadRunner and 68-70 Chargers etc).

So when I found out my wife was getting laid off from work it came to me pretty easy to sell the RoadRunner to pay off some bills so we could make it on just my check alone. Well after getting the RR mostly restored I actually made enough off its sale to have a little $$$ left over. So that sat in the bank till she got lucky and immediately(she just had the weekend off) found a new job. After that She told me not to worry about the extra $$ and go get something.

Well it was definately NOT enough for a finished B Body but......My wifes dad had just got a SMOKING deal on a 1970 Coronet R/T 440 completely done needing nothing Burnt orange on Burnt orange white R/T stripe White top capable of 12.9-13.2 on BFG radials(from the time slips in the glove box) Govier documented(papers also in the glove box) every nut and bolt was accounted for in the paperwork 3 years ago at Carlisle he paid $11,500 cash for it :) all he has added since is a set of Torque Thrust D's(im place of the magnum 500's) and new BFG tires......

Well he just happened to have a 73 Dart Sport that he said he could not drive 2 cars at once....so a Deal was done for the Dart Sport. Its a Much better driving car than the RoadRunner was, its just as fast. Ive always liked the Demon/Dart/Duster style and the 340 that is in the car runs sweet too. From what I saw at Carlisle this year and what they wanted for junk 1/2 as nice as the Dart Sport is I got a deal at $4500 for the car(after seeing the prices at Carlisle in certain the Dart Sport would bring 2X its purchase price). Nice thing is all ive had to do to it in 2 years now is general upkeep/maintainance and thats it. So do I look back and miss the RoadRunner some ask.....? Not on your life! I've got a car now I like even better!

Sharp ride.

Hurst Gold Duster1.jpg

Thanks. I had been thinking of picking up a hood with the dual snorkles like yours. I can get one in VERY good shape(just needs painted) for $200. Just debating now though. I like both styles.

I bought mine from a car that was on a trailer and rolled. The only part on the car that was in OK shape was the hood and scoop. All the rest was totaled.

My first Mopar was also a 69 RR. (actually a satalite cloned in to a RR) I like my A body better too. I picked mine up for $3500 in 97. Body was in better and interior were in better shape then. These cars are going up in value fast.

Man thats a lot of work. That was one thing I liked about the Dart Sport I bought it as it looks in the pictures....well I added the stripes and the wing but thats it.

I got a 69 runner and its in for paint had it over 15 years but as you can see in my signature my stable is A-Bodys!!!

Had an offer on my Mr.Norm's car and it was a good offer but told the guy nope its not for sale.

he kept calling and i told him the runner will go first before any more of my a-bodys do!

i already sold a bb 69 gts 4 speed #'s car and seen it at carlisle this year and wished i never sold it but its to late now.

and same goes for my 69 formual s car should never sold it.

heck i sold my 72 cuda so i could buy another a-body. :thumblef:

I think thats one nice thing with me. After I sold the RR I luckily am not kicking myself......now if it had been a Charger, 67 Coronet R/T,...that may be a different story :). My car basicaly(if you were at Carlisle this year) looked like the B3 Blue 4 speed one the guy was selling at his spot(actually thought it was my car till I saw the 4 speed) or the convertable RR on the show field.

I have a 73 sport myself. Paid $500 for it 9 years ago. Rust free oklahoma car. Buckets and a console so i was pretty much happy with it other than the fact of 14 yrs of sitting with a busted timing chain. After a front end kit, rear end and a motor i drove it until i graduated high school. needs paint really bad but i still drove it. Had only 71,000 miles on it. Since then i joined the military(USAF) and have been stationed in FL the whole time. Im very apprehensive about bringing my car out here, moisture + salt = bad mopar. so anyhow i been in the service 6 yrs and drive it twice a year if im lucky. my father starts it and drives it every once in a while. Looks like November ill finally have the $$ to put some paint down and really get into the jambs and all. Id really like to see the front of your dart with the blackout hood and black around the quarter windows. Always been a fan of that paint scheme. I know its a long story to get to my point but we're all mopar lovers and we all have stories. Also looking for suggestions on my tranny---I have a 400 thats 75% finished and i am debating on Auto v.s Manual. Keep in mind i want to drive my car very often. I have both setups but id like some input from everyone. Like i said beautiful car man. :headbang: Oh yeah, ignore some of the primer...it will only hurt your eyes

Dartsky.jpg

Lol the guy that did the inspection was asking about the car. It has 86,000 original miles.....he also thought it was funny that I only drove it 120 miles since last year :).

-
Back