Ok need help from all u motor heads and juice junkies

-

1972Dart

Reaction score
Let me start out with the respect factor for ya. I've noticed alot of you have tons of motor experience and know the costs vs. the ins and outs of all that can go into building motors and all the options. Well that's what I don't have. So here's the cars background and current set up. I bought a 72 dart swinger that the previous owner raced at a 1/8 mile track with a 360 in it and 5.13 gears. My plan is to yes, be a somewhat trailer queen to some shows, take out on the weekend, but mainly to get into some bracket racing. I mini-tubbed it, cut down the rear and changed the gears to 4.10 for 1/4 mile and some street. I have super stock springs in now (may go coil over in a few years). I have an 8pt cage in already, and am putting the subframe connectors in next week. Dilemma is.... I have a 440 block that I need to have a magna flux done on to see if it's ok, and if it is don't know how much I'm realistically looking at to buildup a 496. I already tossed the old iron heads (anchors) so I would need everything not just the short block work. ORRRRR my 360 that is currently in the car, I don't know much about. Has a 284/484 purple shaft cam, but not sure what pistons. Has Iron heads so I imagine it's stock. Someone I know offered me the Nitrous Big Shot plate system adjustable to 300hp now set up for 225. It was only used 2 times on the street. It's the bottle heater, msd spank retard box, stainless lines, bottle, and gauge for $500. Can/should I install this NOS kit on my current set up and just add an electric fuel pump etc. figuring total $1000 till its all said and done with the added fuel pump cost, filters etc. Or should I scrap that plan and just put the $1000 away and keep saving for the 496 deal? Should I start juicin for the extra hp or just keep waitin and dreamin? ThanX in advance for any help....

IMO, I would just set it up for driving around with what it has and start in what it is you reallllly want.
That 500 cube engine would do well with a set of Indy heads and tti's. Let'er rip.

I'm just wondering how the spray would work out. Rumble you ever use nos and if so what are your thoughts on engine life?

I'm just wondering how the spray would work out. Rumble you ever use nos and if so what are your thoughts on engine life?

I just have to add this. About 20+ years ago I knew a guy with a Maverick with a 302, pretty much a stock engine as I recall, maybe a four barrel & headers. He put a nitrous kit on it, I don't know what size, but knowing him he probably had it set for 150 HP (or more!) the first time he used it. I can still picture his face when he told me what happened. He had a wild eyed grin as he said "I broke a piston ring, but it was worth it!"

:burnout:

1972Dart; Sorry, never used the stuff. However, todays systems are much better than they were in the late 70's. The engine will last alot longer. Keep it to a min. level. Your pistons are cast and should really see more than a 100 shot for constant use.
You could plug it over and over with more used each time to see when it goes, but don't until you have a replacement engine. :thumblef:

And when you do exploded it, remember, I'm over here looking like this at ya... :salut:

I agree- the kits are alot better now days then the "old" days- alot more reliable, precise, and tunable. Nitrous will work in moderation- to use alot of NOS the engine really should be set up for it (opened ring gaps, larger piston clearance, ect...) but it can be put on a "normal" engine if you take your time and make all the proper adjustments. Thats a good deal on the setup but I'd keep it around 100 shot- maybe 150 if you really want to get crazy!! just my $0.02 :thumblef:

-
Back