Old car that runs well but with non-registration penalties; what to do?

-

MOPARoldtimer

Banned
Reaction score
I've owned this 1980 Volvo 242 DL since it was new and it runs well, the body is good and it has a nice interior. However, it's only worth about $1,000 tops on the car market.

I gave the car to my youngest son, but he failed to keep it registered. The DMV won't let him do a declaration of non-operation at this point, and they want $250 in registration and penalties.

How can I take back this car from my son while having to pay the minimum in registration and penalties, or am I SOL?

Thanks!

I don't know if this car qualifies, but in some cases, the DMV fees can be waived by a supervisor IF the car is decalred a CLASSIC and the owner intends to restore it.

The greedy SOB's here took away all penalty waivers last year so you pay regardless. That helps get the junkers out of the system is what I was told.

"Very simple,stop covering your sons *** and make him pay the fines to teach him a lesson,mrmopartech"

I'm not covering anything. I gave him the car; I had no real expectation of ever getting it back; and I won't pay the fees.

Can you tag it temporarily in another state, then retag in Cali? If not...looks like its getting scrapped.

I'm not covering anything. I gave him the car; I had no real expectation of ever getting it back; and I won't pay the fees.

Kinda dumb if it's a good runnin car. Just pay it and be done with it.

or list it on craigslist because its a 242 and they actually command decent money. i had my volvo 740 in the 12's with a larger turbo, larger injectors, and standalone fuel injection. Some kid will buy it and do a turbo swap.

-
Back