Old Cars Never Cease To Amaze Me...

-

RollercamDART

Reaction score
So I have been having a hell of a time trying to tune a nasty flat spot out of my 74' with a /6. It would run fine down the road, accelerate great when already moving, basically everything you would want it to do, unless you were leaving from a stop. Leaving from a stop the car would fall flat on its face, nearly die unless you feather the throttle etc etc..

So I dug around the trunk of the car and found the box this Holley 1945 came in, and it was a reman out of a company in Canada and was ordered around 3 years ago. Also in this box was a Holley 1920 which also had a reman sticker on it, but was obviously an older job. I cracked open the float on the 1920 and it looked brand new, so at least the previous owner drained it well before tossing it in the box.

After a couple of hours of jacking around with the 1945, a vacuum gauge, a tach, and all the other fun stuff, I had had it. I pulled the 1945 and decided to give the ol' 1920 a go. I put it on with 1 bolt (the other bolt was too long) and no gasket (my local shops don't carry the older gaskets...) and after a few seconds of cranking to fill the bowl, it fired up and idled smoother and runs better than it has ever since I have owned the car. I ran to the store and grabbed a shorter bolt, hooked up everything, and took her for a spin. Plenty of power, great throttle response, and at stop lights I have to turn the radio off to hear if its still running!

Absolutely amazed that this little carb has sat in a box, in the trunk of a dormant Dart, in the good ol' Washington rain, for 3+ years and doing nothing but slapping it on the intake in frustration has made my car 100% more enjoyable to drive. Only adjustment that it needed was to idle it down a little and the kick-down linkage..

I am curious if any of you guys have any stories like my own, I love to hear them :)

Dad pulled the OE dist on the 67 dart 30 years ago and put it in the box the reman came in and on a shelf. last year the reman dist failed, too much end play. I pulled the OE out of the box, put it in, old points and all, ran like a champ.

The canadian company i will guess at is Autoline. Based out of winnipeg.
I had a similar experience with a 2bbl for my power wagon/318.
I was fortunate enough to be able to return it.
I then spent many hours rebuilding mine, scrounging the plastic part that burned when the carb caught fire. Also dialing in the power valve and getting choke to work flawlessly. I needed it to work perfect as i was installing a command start and it had to be spot on.
Was maybe 16/17 years ago and suprisingly it still works.

Dad pulled the OE dist on the 67 dart 30 years ago and put it in the box the reman came in and on a shelf. last year the reman dist failed, too much end play. I pulled the OE out of the box, put it in, old points and all, ran like a champ.
Ahhh, the infamous healing shelf. Everybody needs one.

Bought a '72 project car with original 318 that had a plaque welded to the block from a machine shop documenting that it was rebuilt in '79 (still standard pistons). The 318 was not installed when I brought the car home. A friend pressure-washed it for me and it sat for a few months.

Went to install the 318, and it was frozen (thanks to the pressure wash). Various attempts with squirting oil, ATF (etc) finally got it free. I changed all the gaskets (heads, intake, oil pan) and it fired right up. Idles very smoothly and I have put 8,000 miles on the ol' engine so far. Just a little puff of smoke when it fires over after sitting for awhile.

Last edited:
So I have been having a hell of a time trying to tune a nasty flat spot out of my 74' with a /6. It would run fine down the road, accelerate great when already moving, basically everything you would want it to do, unless you were leaving from a stop. Leaving from a stop the car would fall flat on its face, nearly die unless you feather the throttle etc etc..

So I dug around the trunk of the car and found the box this Holley 1945 came in, and it was a reman out of a company in Canada and was ordered around 3 years ago. Also in this box was a Holley 1920 which also had a reman sticker on it, but was obviously an older job. I cracked open the float on the 1920 and it looked brand new, so at least the previous owner drained it well before tossing it in the box.

After a couple of hours of jacking around with the 1945, a vacuum gauge, a tach, and all the other fun stuff, I had had it. I pulled the 1945 and decided to give the ol' 1920 a go. I put it on with 1 bolt (the other bolt was too long) and no gasket (my local shops don't carry the older gaskets...) and after a few seconds of cranking to fill the bowl, it fired up and idled smoother and runs better than it has ever since I have owned the car. I ran to the store and grabbed a shorter bolt, hooked up everything, and took her for a spin. Plenty of power, great throttle response, and at stop lights I have to turn the radio off to hear if its still running!

Absolutely amazed that this little carb has sat in a box, in the trunk of a dormant Dart, in the good ol' Washington rain, for 3+ years and doing nothing but slapping it on the intake in frustration has made my car 100% more enjoyable to drive. Only adjustment that it needed was to idle it down a little and the kick-down linkage..

I am curious if any of you guys have any stories like my own, I love to hear them :)
Yep the ol holley model 1920 i have rebuilt a couple. Good carb. Very simple. Easy one to teach a newbie how carbs work. I had no doubts it would work.

Put another accelerator pump in the other carburetor and it will be fixed.

I started my unknown condition 68 slant with an unknown condition 1920, a little gas down the hatch, set the choke and it kicked over in under half a revolution without any pedal. Smooth.....watch out for the pooched accelerator pump weep hole that sends a stream of fuel right onto the exhaust manifold.

-
Back