Old days racing question

-

FISHBREATH

Reaction score
Do you guys remember when Top Fuel and Funny Car went "all Hemi, all the time?" I seem to remember some Chebby and Furd big blocks still running in the very early 1970s.

Hemi Hunter AA/FD, BBC.

The%20Hemi%20Hunter%20lays%20down%20a%20fogbank.%20Photo%20thanks%20to%20The%20Hemi%20Hunter.gif

Cammer power

Cammer1.jpg

Fishbreath, there were actually a lot of big block chevys and Ford cammers.

There were guys running Cammers well into the '70s, I have a pic of Larry Gould with a cammer in '76-'77

Now that I am thinking about it, wasnt there some guy back east running a nitro FC with a cammer in the early '90s, built with the Dove Eng. parts??

Here's a 6 part story of the most famous front engine dragster of them all. Even though it was not Hemi powered, it kicked some butt. FISHBREATH: Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but my guess is sometime in the early 80's. Hopefully someone here will know for sure.

http://www.hemihunterracing.com/part1.shtml

Boy, that's much longer than I thought. For the life of me, I just did not remember any non-Hemis going into the 70s. I remember Keith Black was casting aluminum Hemis in the early '70s. Maybe Ed Pink, too. I guess the old iron blocks were untenable by the end of the 70s.

Maybe you need to re-phrase the question to something like "winning national events with non-hemis". Then the answer would be mid-seventies, Jim Bucher (BBChevy) being the last.

-
Back