Old girl is getting some work.

-

Charger4404spd

Reaction score
Well you know how things start off simple and quickly escalate? My intentions were just new carpet and seat upholstery, wanted a new dash pad and instrument cluster.

The dash pad had the usual cracks, this one had a large crack in the middle. The options were to give Just Dashes $800 to restore it, buy a new one and then would have to dye it, or just attempt to repair the old one myself. I chose option 3.

I had an idea to use the foam insulation in a can, didnt know how it would work, but for a couple bucks I'd try it. Worked pretty well. Had to fill and sand a couple dozen times.
Next was to find the material to cover it. Contacted a vinyl supplier for some samples. They had one color that matched very well so I ordered 1.5 yards.

Covering went pretty well (used contact adhesive). The compound corners on the ends were a **** :) All in all I am pleased with the results and I saved a lot of money.

Removed the cluster, diassembled, cleaned and repainted gauge pointers. Polished lenses, installed new bulbs and installed a new bezel from Classic Industries. Didnt want to pay so much for this, but I called a couple places getting quotes to rechrome the plastic and the cheapest was close to $300 and I would still have to tape up and spray the black and argent silver.

Painted the dash frame with SEM and the color match was spot on.
Just finished installing underdash a/c from Nostalgic Air. Will get around to charging up this week.

Waiting on new seat upholstery from Classic Industries ( been on back order for 2 months :(
After that Im going to drive it and enjoy her!

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

-
Back