OLd Grant steering wheel

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hers a pic of an old Grant wood steering wheel I am refinishing the wood on. I have it smoothed down, and I put 2 coats of Feibings medium brown leather stain on. I'll 0000 steel wool it one more time, and then put a couple coats of gun stock sealer on it, more 0000 steel wool rubbing, then 3-4 coats of clear Gunstock finish. It should turn out like my gun stocks, wheather proof.
I paid $20.00 at a swap meet for it. Its a Grant #966 C, classic nostalgia 15in wheel. I got an instalation kit, and plymouth horn button from Summit. So I'll have $45.00 in it, when done. It'll replace the wheel on my 66 B-Cuda, thats all messed up.
barracudadave67

20170818_160636.jpg

Nice score. I bought a new Grant from Summit. When it came in, I was sad, it looked no way as nice as the old school Grant wheel like you got, the new one looked cheesy and cheap. I returned it. Your wheel is way better, nice job!

That's pimp! I want some wood grain :( All I got is a cracked and warped wheel with a leather wrap on it. Hahaha. I keep saying I'm going to buy one one day

I picked it up at a generic swap meet that never has much in the way of Mopar stuff. Hit the odd-ball swaps.
barracudadave67

Update
Heres my finnished $45.00 Grant steering wheel. 4 coats of sealer, and 4 coats of spray on Helmsman Valspar clear hi-gloss finnish. I think it turned out pretty nice. Now when I get my dash finnished, I'll put it on, and get some more picsI'm just waiting for the weather to co-operate, so I can spray the dash. I don't want to mask off things, and have to leave the tape on too long.
barracudadave67

20170908_192541.jpg

-
Back