Old school "Rootes Superchargers...

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I know there are better, ..more efficient ways, to boost an engine... But a "Rootes-71 " blower, makes life, so good... Share your thought-provoking comments, ideas, and ...just, all around...Have a happy, Sunday....

always loved them, but i never owned one
i remember when i was a kid, if there was one included in the model kit is was building, it was going on

i seem to remember one member on here having on, making the statement that "ricers wont make eye contact"
i always thought that was funny

Ive had the itch for many,many years, so 15 years ago I purchase a brand new BDS 8-71 for a 440. Its still on my work bench in leu of finishing my vert, but one day my pro street 69 Dart will again roll on the streets this time with a wyyyynnn.....

They are fun, now the downfall, the hole in the hood, motor gets soaked with every rainstorm, car wash etc.
I had one for years, may have another one day. Just sold my supercharged car this spring.
The are dead reliable, set them up once and be done with it. Keep the timing down and resit the temptation to keep adding more timing to the motor, on a small block to keep it safe, I have had good luck with them surviving with only 28 degrees total timing.

Instant power, perma-grin makers. And yes, the ricers won't make eye contact. They just rev and make fart sounds.

I've been playing with the idea...

AUT22654-678x381.jpg

Nothing implies power more than a roots style blower. Especially when you could flip it on a stock compression engine.... for a while
anyhow....LOL

I saw my first one when I was about 15 years old... and wanted one since! The ultimate bad azz look and sound!!!

Built a few over the years. IMO, there's nothing comparable. The look, the sound and the power. I'll leave the teflon strips alone if I ever do another.

Been thinkin about maybe ending up with one on the rat truck Hemi.

Plan on a good quality vacuum pump - save yourself a lot of grief............you need to upgrade, the cooling system (a lot), fuel delivery, suspension, transmission, drive line, exhaust, differential, possibly brakes. etc. Carbs are expensive.Might want to install a methanol injection system. It's a lot of work and as always, pre-planning saves money.
I have an 8-71 on a 540 blower prepped block. It was waaaaaay more that I thought it was going to be, both in time and money.

QEL3VKoZSJmHfvZtQ3POd38rI90sR8GdGv6fKidVaCIy1887bUGdNuCA5YnzvEQmhkOQrdXKAYxYmRw&owa=outlook.live.jpg

-
Back