Old School vs Magnum on 86 Dodge W100

-
OK, that was the setup I was thinking of... could not connect you to it! The big point to the OP is the LA318 heads on the Magnum block need an oiling path added. Since this is a standard truck use, and a stock cam, the ports ought be adequate. But the open chambers are not going to be as good for compression... a step backwards unless you mill them down some IMHO.

I did change my username in the past year or 2 lol it used to be "MOPEkidD-3"

Please define "cam is bad".

No offense to the op, but I see a lot of generalizing in your posts, and lots of conclusion jumping. I see that you're here to learn, so please slow down a bit.

On the cracked heads, buy engine quest heads and be done with it. I would recommend this even if yours weren't cracked yet. If you can't afford them, this is the wrong sport for the team you're betting on.

Whatever you do, if you aren't running the factory efi computer or some other rev limiter, you need to upgrade your valve springs. Magnums have a VERY low rpm limit and will float valves. This results in bent valves if lead footing is involved.... ask me how I know!

That Magnum motor is, imo, better than the 318 in every way. Don't forget an electric fuel pump if it wasn't mentioned elsewhere
jos51700, thanks for weighing in. The Cam has 3 or 4 lobes that are heavily pitted. I'm no Cam expert but when I look at it, it doesn't seem usable - at least for very long. I suspect it would destroy the lifters after some time. However, I'm willing to receive push-back on that opinion as we have no desire to buy a new one because we're not trying to build a performance engine.

I'll look into the Engine Quest heads. I have no experience in buying new heads so all information is helpful.(edit - looks like they are $1,500 for a set. I see some folks selling on ebay for $350 each)

Regarding the EFI computer, we pulled the one that was in the donor truck so it's the factory computer. We also pulled the entire fuel tank with pump to go with the engine.

Last edited:
Your pricing for EQ's is right. Same with the MA-X heads. They are bigger-flowing, more performance oriented head, so beyond what you need for just a basic rebuild head.

The issue with rebuilt heads is the quality. You ought to take time to do a long search here on 'rebuilt heads' or such similar topics and see if you can identify a reliable rebuilder; I think that was what wyrmrider was referring to earlier. What has you local shop advised?

BTW, I've seen a few cams with 'pits' in the lobe surfaces that were just casting voids and they were fine in operation. But it's hard to judge what you have without pix.

Your pricing for EQ's is right. Same with the MA-X heads. They are bigger-flowing, more performance oriented head, so beyond what you need for just a basic rebuild head.

The issue with rebuilt heads is the quality. You ought to take time to do a long search here on 'rebuilt heads' or such similar topics and see if you can identify a reliable rebuilder; I think that was what wyrmrider was referring to earlier. What has you local shop advised?

BTW, I've seen a few cams with 'pits' in the lobe surfaces that were just casting voids and they were fine in operation. But it's hard to judge what you have without pix.
Thanks nm9stheham, I'm going to upload some pics of the Cam later today.

Others here have more first-hand experience, but I've never heard a complaint on the EQ heads.

If you're ok with a stock cam, there's many to pick from! They got any pick n' pull type places near you? Roller cams are nice....

I may have posted before but if you are getting a pick a part cam get a 92-93 5.2 for a magnum
It's also the best (really the only) core for a regrind bit much to work with on the later or 5.8 cams

the later cams have less lift so there is less lobe to work with with a regrind
he gardness is bot that thick and if you go through the cam will not last
the lca differences also limit how much you can change

-
Back