Old style Sure Grip (1964)

-

67DART340

Reaction score
I have an 8 3/4 rear in my 67 Dart. The rear is an older pumpkin type 1820657, open rear. If I put the old style Sure Grip, the Dana Power-Lok (# 2881487) from 1964 a clutch type in that pumpkin, is that going to fit? OR will there be issues with axle lengths and or thrust block widths? I'm not sure what year the pumpkin is, if someone can tell me where to find it. Thanks. Chaz.

I have an 8 3/4 rear in my 67 Dart. The rear is an older pumpkin type 1820657, open rear. If I put the old style Sure Grip, the Dana Power-Lok (# 2881487) from 1964 a clutch type in that pumpkin, is that going to fit? OR will there be issues with axle lengths and or thrust block widths? I'm not sure what year the pumpkin is, if someone can tell me where to find it. Thanks. Chaz.

Think of the 657 as a 741, same bearings, gears and carrier. Now the axles could be a different story so you'll just have to measure and check. As far as the thrust block is concerned, go with green bearings and throw the thrust block in the spare parts bin. At least that is what I'd do.

Terry

IIRC, the thrust block differences are only relevant for open diffs made before 1965.

I would NOT use green bearings if you don't have to, and if you do, use the Moser Green bearings with the snap ring. They just plain don't hold up as well. Setting endplay is easy if you have a dial indicator with a magnetic base.

I found it
http://www.autohobbydigest.com/8_75.html
"
interchange Notes:

Any 8-3/4" center section may be interchanged for another as an entire assembly except for a thrust block difference of non-Suregrip units built before 1964 (See Part II, Section 1).

All 8-3/4" axle shafts, 65-74, are retained by a bolt-on flange. Axles can be interchanged within housings of the same width. The passenger side axle has a threaded adjuster to set axle shaft end play.

Note: there was a slight dimensional change in axle shaft length when the Sure Grip design changed. If interchanging axles with the slight difference, the threaded end play adjustment can be used to accomodate it.

Note: the 57-64 8-3/4 axle driveshafts were tapered and used a keyway and locknut to retain the brake assemblies and end play was set with shims. The 65 and later units use flanged axle shafts and a threaded adjuster to set axle end play.

-
Back