OMG...Lifter tapping??

-

Paladin06

Reaction score
OK, finally got the transmission all squared away yes, the a complete rebuild. Now I hear a tapping in the engine. It's lifters for sure, I think. The previous owner told me the engine was rebuilt at less then 2000 miles when I purchased the car. I have put less then 3000 miles on it in three years.

Your thoughts?

I'd pull the valve cover and see if there is any play in the rocker arm. If there is, it could be a collapsed lifter

Yeah I had a lifter tick.... adjusted it since I run adjustable roller tip rockers.... not to much longer it started to miss. Lobe was gone.

I have a 340 w a hydrolic MP.509 w only 2000 mi. on it and if it sits for a period of time (1 mo. or so) it will tick for a little while until the lifters pump back up. How long did you let your car run? This is pretty common and nothing to worry about if it goes away. The lifters that are left w spring pressure on them while engine is shut off for a period of time will bleed back

Yeah I had a lifter tick.... adjusted it since I run adjustable roller tip rockers.... not to much longer it started to miss. Lobe was gone.
You may have adjusted it while the lifter was collapsed and when it pumped up it wiped the lobe.

Original poster-
Check for a header or other exhaust leak. They sould like lifter noises at times.

George

Check your timing chain for excessive slack.

Remove the Alternator and Fuel pump and check the slack through the fuel pump hole.

I'm wondering if your oil slinger might be on backwards and already overheated your timing chain.....

I made a deal on a car that "only had 5000 miles on a fresh rebuild" that the previous owner assembled that way and the engine developed a light tapping after about 200 miles of my ownership.

005-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

002-6.jpg

I built a 88 roller cam 318 and kept driving it till I got the roller cam 318 done....I did the swap one weekend and tore the "5000 mile" 318 the next week to discover the Oil Slinger was installed backwards and fatigued the timing chain and was slapping pretty good.

Does your engine tap with 20-50w oil?...or just 10-30/10-40?

Good Luck.

I had a lifter tick as well in my 340 with the MP 509 cam and I tore the valve covers off and checked all the pushrods to see how they were and when I came to #6 cylinder I noticed that my push rod had blew thru the rocker arm...I swapped out the RA for a new one and the lifter tick went away...

Didn't make it to the shop on Monday because, I had to go to the emergency room and was admitted for emergency surgery. They had to remove my gall bladder. I had a 20cm gall stone. Hell I think that's bigger then one of my balls. Anyway, got home Tuesday but on the way home had the wife stop for a can of CD2. Always thinkin about my girls. Poured it in and ran the car for 20 minutes, and damn if the noise didn't go away. I've run the car, not driven it 5 times (20 minutes each) since then and it sounds better then it has in a LONG time. I've even rived her up a good bit. I gues the Mopar Gods felt sorry for me. I'll keep my ears and ears open but right now I'm a happy kinda Mopar guy.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thx all.

Greg

Didn't make it to the shop on Monday because, I had to go to the emergency room and was admitted for emergency surgery. They had to remove my gall bladder. I had a 20cm gall stone. Hell I think that's bigger then one of my balls. Anyway, got home Tuesday but on the way home had the wife stop for a can of CD2. Always thinkin about my girls. Poured it in and ran the car for 20 minutes, and damn if the noise didn't go away. I've run the car, not driven it 5 times (20 minutes each) since then and it sounds better then it has in a LONG time. I've even rived her up a good bit. I gues the Mopar Gods felt sorry for me. I'll keep my ears and ears open but right now I'm a happy kinda Mopar guy.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thx all.

Greg

did you buy the CD2 oil detergent or oil treatment?? i hope that you are feeling better !!

Oil treatment. That **** is thick like syrup on a cold winter day. A guy I was in ER with recommended it. He was a Mopar guy as well. Damn car idles better, sounds better, the engine is much more quiet then it was.

did u do the tranny or a shop. If it didn't rattle before the tranny job...they may of "stressed" it on a test ride. If You did it and right after the tranny work it rattles..check Your oil level first. ( I know it sounds simple but somtimes the obvious is behind somthing)

I would suspect an exhaust leak if happening just after the tranny as the exhaust would get moved to change the tranny

I should read all the posts before adding My 2 cents. LOL

Original poster-
Check for a header or other exhaust leak. They sould like lifter noises at times.

George
the other day, I went out for a quick highway drive, and when I pulled in to turn around, I thought a plug wire had come off (sounded like the spark arcing off something under the hood). I checked, and all the wires were on and firing, but it was tapping like crazy. Was going to pull the valve covers off and check everything out, but I decided to check (and re-tighten) the exhaust manifold bolts instead.
No more ticking.

-
Back