OMG, the secret is out!

-

2shelbys

Reaction score
Chrysler, LLC just announced that they have three electric vehicles hitting the market starting in the 2010 model year, which means 2009. This was a shock to the industry since they really kept a lid on it. The vehicles are the Chrysler Town and Country, the Jeep Wrangler, and a new Dodge sports car that will do 0-60 in "less than 5 seconds". Leave it to Dodge to turn "green" mean.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080923/BUSINESS01/80923029

HEELLL YEAH! This is why I love Chrysler! While GM won't shut up about its "amazing" new electric car that nobody else could possibly have invented, Chrysler goes out and designs 3 electric cars that are way ahead in every aspect without anyone knowing! Up yours, GM! Mopar all the way!!!

That is great news but I believe they are going to be choosing one of the three to debut as a 2010 model, not all three.

Yeah, as I read the article, it said one would be available late 2010. Still, I'm pretty stoked that Mopar trumped GM and hopefully will steal some of their thunder.

I read somewhere that with the current batteries available, the range on GM's Volt is only 40 miles. That wouldn't get me to work and back!!

Chrysler batteries will get 200 miles from an 8 hour charge.
I seen it on tv last night, One is a sports car.

That sounds awesome. I know what my wife will driving to work in the future.
MOPAR!!!!! The PT Crusier she currently drives will become her back up car. Or who knows maybe it will get a Hemi.

I read somewhere that with the current batteries available, the range on GM's Volt is only 40 miles. That wouldn't get me to work and back!!

The theory behind it is , that most folks drive less than 40 miles to work... So they could drive to work maybe have a place to recharge it .... Or if not use the gas engine for the commute home.... At least that's how I understand the thinking behind them.... Anyway glad to see Mopar offering something like this.. They need all the help they can get....:cheers:

I still can't get past the fact that it would be like driving your kid's "Power Wheels" to work, etc. Then what, will they deduct from your salary for the electricity you use to charge your car while at the office? Good that Chrysler is bringing out three instead of hanging all hope on one.

0-60 in under 5 seconds doesn't sound like any kids toy that i'm aware of.

I forsee a bigger problem though, and that's how you would keep an electric car heated without killing the batteries. The instant torque would be hell in the snow too, but I imagine that there would be some sort of electronic traction control availible.

Here's another problem. What happens when everyone plugs these suckers in to recharge them? Rolling blackouts? Solar panels on the garage or house to recharge would work in the Southwest except most people are at work during the daylight hours. How much would it cost to recharge these every night? $50 a month? $100? $200? The power plant has to use more coal to provide the power to charge these things so they're not truly "zero emissions" as the greenies would imply.

I've got a 12 mile round trip to work and back and maybe 15 miles if i run some errands. I presently spend about $100 or so a month in fuel, including weekend errands and cruising around. I want to see some hard numbers regarding electric bill charges before I would consider one. I want to know how much the battery packs cost to replace and what their projected life span is too.

You know that of the 3 vehicles that they list, the one that will likely be released is the Town and Country. The sports car is just meant to get the muscle car crowd all hot and bothered, as is the Jeep for the 4x4 crowd. My money is on the safe/practical/boring choice. Regardless of which one they build, I'm sure it will be out of my price range anyway.

I know someone who bought a Toyota Hybrid Prius. They told her the batteries will last 7 years and cost about $5 grand to replace!

Cheaper and far more efficient solar panels are here. They are made in California and printed out in much the same manner as newspaper. Can be mounted on just about anything. Think I read about it in a Popular Science mag.

The entire first run batch was sold to a country in europe building a solar power plant. The technology is viable,but in high demand due to limited production capacity. We have the ability to produce cheap electricity. Wind power is an option as well.

Thats great that Chrysler is outfoxing everyone!

you said a mouthful Ramcharger! :cheers: The electricity comes from somewhere, usually coal-fired power plants. I've always thought that the electric vehicles would edge out the hydrogen vehicles due to infrastructure cost. Everyone already has electricity at their house. Now if you were to put in a solar panel array on your house to charge your car that would be different.
http://www.oksolar.com/roof/ put these guys on the roof and sell the power back to the power company when not in use. Reduced consumption of electricity from coal means that you not only get power for "free" ( after the system is paid for ) but you put your excess power back onto the grid so the power plant has to produce less power. Now THAT is green thinking...
The solar and battery technology is available already..the key will be making them cost effective..

Now on to the cars. I think the mini-van thing is OK but I use mine for 2000 mile trips a couple of times a year, so maybe I'm not in the market for one of those BUT, my commute of 5 miles one way to work (that takes me 35 minutes some days :( ) would be perfect for an electric jeep. They already have electric power steering pumps, A/C compressors, and an electric heater core to keep the people warm.....I know my ideas aren't perfect, but if I can think up some of this stuff, then the engineers can surely do some amazing things...

Vroom Vroom chrysler! not wooobAHH wooobAHH :lol:

0-60 in under 5 seconds doesn't sound like any kids toy that i'm aware of.

I forsee a bigger problem though, and that's how you would keep an electric car heated without killing the batteries. The instant torque would be hell in the snow too, but I imagine that there would be some sort of electronic traction control availible.

Here's another problem. What happens when everyone plugs these suckers in to recharge them? Rolling blackouts? Solar panels on the garage or house to recharge would work in the Southwest except most people are at work during the daylight hours. How much would it cost to recharge these every night? $50 a month? $100? $200? The power plant has to use more coal to provide the power to charge these things so they're not truly "zero emissions" as the greenies would imply.

I've got a 12 mile round trip to work and back and maybe 15 miles if i run some errands. I presently spend about $100 or so a month in fuel, including weekend errands and cruising around. I want to see some hard numbers regarding electric bill charges before I would consider one. I want to know how much the battery packs cost to replace and what their projected life span is too.

No one wants to see hard #s more than I. If you think $100/month for gas is bad, I am almost doing that per week. Damn Ram! :toothy10:

No one wants to see hard #s more than I. If you think $100/month for gas is bad, I am almost doing that per week. Damn Ram! :toothy10:

LOL! When I moved last month, one of my priorites other than a big fat garage was reducing my commute. Combine that with a leaky old 4 cyl 4Runner and I was able to seriuosly cut some costs. I can get almost 3 weeks out of a 15 gal fill up and prices are in the $3.50 range here.

I did NOT include fuel for the Ramcharger for test & tune, screwing around terrorizing the local SUV drivers on the highway on ramps, furniture shopping and trips to the home improvement store, lol! I could a tack $100 on for that easy. :)

Yeah, I was too with my V10 Ram. Until I washed the accumulated dust off of my '79 Kawasaki 1000. Commute is now more fun :cheers: and I can fill the bike for $13 instead of $80 plus.
I need to see the long-term hard $$$ costs before I'd commit to an electric vehicle.

I just cannot help to wonder as these cars come more and more abundant on the roads, the green weenies will look at our classic cars like satan's spawn themselves thus pressuring the other freaks in washington to demonize and restrict our gas guzzlers eventually to the point of banning them from use.

I'll even go as far to say that I would not be suprized if one of the liberal nut bats would suggest having a car buyback program such as the useless gun byback programs the goofballs have in the urban communities.

I can see it now.

"Turn in your old classic car and receive $150 per car to curb greenhouse gases and to help air quality."

"This program brought to you by the left wing loon batz in congress, paid for unknowingly by Joe and Suzie taxpayer."

-
Back