? on new alternator

-

0lddart

Reaction score
ok i have a 1964 dart gt original everything i am modifing it and the stock output alternator isn't going to cut it i am currently looking at a powermaster 75amp has anyone used these before and what other than the alternator am i going to need to change???

thank you guys in advance
travis

If 60 amps is enough for you, try an alternator out of a 1990 (can go up and down a model years to get one, plus I believe the pickup uses the same alt). Mine fit in with modifying the original brackets but I ended up going with brackets from Magnum HP for a cleaner look. It has an internal regulator and you have to bypass the original. Magnum HP has the wiring directions on the site. Idling with headlights, flashers, wipers and heater on, it sticks at 14 volts and no dimming of the headlights.

All in all, an economical upgrade and a real reliable alternator.

If you decide to use a 60 amp alternator, Rock Auto lists one as a replacement. They also list a 55 amp. Only visible difference is the 60 amp has a double pulley & the 55 amp has a single pulley.

thanks guys prolly going to the junk yard this weekend to grab one
in case any one was curious i am installing HIDs and when i hooked them up i killed my amp meter and the stock alternator got REAL hot so 60 amps should be good right??

-
Back