On The Road!

-

1969GTS

Reaction score
The GTS has finally hit the road after almost two decades of sitting. So far I've looked like the Cheshire Cat all day out cruising. It seems to run a little hot as it hangs around 200 degree's. I have a small oil leak at the rear passenger side valve cover that randomly drips on my headers. I'll be changing out those crap cork gaskets that I used to get through the safety inspection. Other that those issues it goes like a raped ape! It was worth all the problems over the last year and for the most part was fun to build. I must have put 200 miles on it today ......... what a blast!

Thanks to all those who helped and a big thanks to RedFish for all the wiring insight. Burn out video coming soon.

IMG_2139.jpg

:DHad to be a great day for you 1969GTS Be careful and enjoy that nice ride

Congrats,you must be beside yourself with all you,ve accomplished over the past year!OOOH what a feeling cruising in the car YOU built!!:wink:

That's a great feeling!

You should be able to get a few more miles burning around in the valley tomorrow (Saturday) until the rain omes tomorrow night.

My Grandpa had one and on Sunday we would go the long way to get milk and the paper before breakfast!

Its a great feeling! I forgot how fast these old mopars were. I've been building 4X4's for the last decade, most of them 1960's Land Rovers that are about 70 Hp. This car pulls so hard I get washer fluid coming out the jets and the console ash tray slams open under full acceleration. I'm going to richen the carb and fine tune it today and see if I can get the temp down under 200. It makes me wonder how I didn't kill myself when I was 17 driving my six pac super bee, 340 duster and then my 340 swinger which was my last muscle car. You sure feel 17 again when your behind the wheel and you never get any where without someone chatting you up about your car.

Way to go,I am happy for ya,hopfully I will be in the same boat in 6 weeks.

Snake, Your dart looks like my old swinger I sold in the early 90's to go to college. Man I miss that car! It was the same as yours with that awesome B5 blue and white stripe. Your car looks great!

Its a great feeling! I forgot how fast these old mopars were. I've been building 4X4's for the last decade, most of them 1960's Land Rovers that are about 70 Hp. This car pulls so hard I get washer fluid coming out the jets and the console ash tray slams open under full acceleration. I'm going to richen the carb and fine tune it today and see if I can get the temp down under 200. It makes me wonder how I didn't kill myself when I was 17 driving my six pac super bee, 340 duster and then my 340 swinger which was my last muscle car. You sure feel 17 again when your behind the wheel and you never get any where without someone chatting you up about your car.
Something I do for the summer months is use "Water Wetter." I run about 1 1/4 gallons of anti freeze and the rest distilled water. Plus, I add 1 bottle of "Water Wetter." My engine would run at about 200 degrees before and after runs right around 180 degrees. Just make sure you go back to anti freeze in the fall. Good luck. Your car looks great.

I'm wondering how accurate my speedo is as I'm hitting second gear at 6000 RPM at 65 MPH. Its a 727 with 3500 stall and 391:1 gears. Seems to me that even with 28" tall tires I should be redline at about 30 MPH. I may have to have it calibrated.

Yup, that first drive is a sweeeet one! Your car looks fantastic, but you know you promised a video. These 's guys will ride you like a pony until you deliver. Ask me how I know....

Nice job. Enjoy!!!

Its coming. I'm just looking for the right road to do it safely.

I'm wondering how accurate my speedo is as I'm hitting second gear at 6000 RPM at 65 MPH. Its a 727 with 3500 stall and 391:1 gears. Seems to me that even with 28" tall tires I should be redline at about 30 MPH. I may have to have it calibrated.

Before paying for the recalibration go buy yourself a cheap GPS that has the MPH feature and lay it on the dash. At least then you'll know how much its out by. I'm running the same tranny, gears and stall as you and with a 27" tire I'm doing 60 MPH at 3200 in third. Have fun.

Terry

Before paying for the recalibration go buy yourself a cheap GPS that has the MPH feature and lay it on the dash. At least then you'll know how much its out by. I'm running the same tranny, gears and stall as you and with a 27" tire I'm doing 60 MPH at 3200 in third. Have fun.

Terry

Just took it out on the highway and I'm at 3500 RPM @ 70 Mph so my speedo must not be that far out.

Thanks

-
Back