On Veteran's Day

-

GaryS

Reaction score

It’s Veteran’s Day, and I’m a Veteran…four years active dutyand nineteen years active reserve…but I’m not going to celebrate or display remindersof my service in public. I’m going to grieve. In my heart, I salute all who haveworn the uniforms and flags that represent freedom…the Stars and Stripes, theUnion Jack, the Maple Leaf…and others. Though we all served, and many died, wehave lost the war for liberty. Despite giving years of our lives, parts of ourbodies, and far too often the peace of our souls, we lost. We lost to those whowish to enslave our bodies and our ideas because they are certain that they knowbetter, and sadly, they too often know how to make us believe them. We lost tothose who hope to profit from the control of others. We lost to liars andthieves of all stripes, parties, colors and creeds.

Had I known then…as a seventeen year old enlisting in theAir Force…what I know now, I’d have second thoughts. Five more times I raisedmy hand and committed to serve the Constitution of the United States. I recallthe lump in my throat as, with hand raised, I looked through misty eyes at theflag behind the Vietnam combat nurse in her dress blues, and for the final timeswore to defend what that flag stood for. For decades my flag was proudlyraised on the tall, silver pole in my front yard, but now it lies properlyfolded in a drawer, where it will likely remain for the rest of my life. It’sthere because despite the best efforts of millions of honorable men and women,we lost the war.

I don’t mean to speak for other veterans, only myself. Theyhave their own voice. Liberty means everyone can believe as they wish and are freeto let others know what is in their hearts and on their minds, but I know therewill be readers of these words who will want them removed for not being “appropriate”.And they will likely be successful.

Let’s everyone observe this day in his own way and with hisown thoughts…while we still can.

Gary ... that was the most amazing Veterans' Day post I've ever read. What you said between the lines is just as deeply moving and heartfelt as the words you wrote. Thank you most sincerely for your service and sacrifices, and most especially for sharing your thoughts here. << hug from that redhead in Tennessee >>

I don't like to mourne the life of others. It is sad news yes, but I feel they deserve to be celebrated. They and yourself were brave enough to put your lives on the line so that ours may be improved for however long the improvement lasted and that is what I celebrate. That to me is worth praise. What is sad and true is what is said between the lines.

Beautiful Post surprisingly you are not the only Veteran that feels that way.

Today is Veterans Day!
I Am a Veteran! I am Proud to be a Veteran!
Today I will not grieve, that day is in May, today I am happy!
I may not agree with the direction that I currently find my county heading, but I know that is going that direction on it's own free will.
I know that despite all that is wrong with my country, there are still good people who will fight to keep this country free.
I know that when push comes to shove, Americans will stand together. We seem like we can't get along with ourselves, but we unite like no other country in the world.
To many times we have been pushed, we push back.
In that, I find a great deal of joy. Just knowing that even the thought of people are upset with the way country is headed, just means one thing, they care. Caring leads to change.
No, I will no grieve today, in May I remember friends who have passed on to Fiddlers Green and drink a toast to them, today is my day, I am a veteran
I am the most powerful thing on this planet!
I am a U.S. Solider!

-
Back