once again, need help identifying heads

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
dont know what happened, my computer shows question , but at bottom of big blank page.. anyway, 72 340 r block, one head has 915 under intake runner, other head has a big 360 under valve cover area. harmonic balancer has 3 holes drilled on it, forged or cast crank? oh ya, thanks for the humor!

the cylinder heads will have both numbers usually, both should have 915 casting in top.
the 72 should be internal balanced, external will have a horse shoe on balancer on front, easy to see. you have a forged crank. holes in balancer are from balance job by factory.
few mine have same holes. the 915 head was first 360 casting, in 1971, small int valve on 360, big valve on 340, in 72 340 and 360 had same small int valves. they do flow very well,
the port velocity is good in small valve head.

Most 340 and 360 heads will have "360 AAWJ" inscribed on them under the valve cover area, it is not the casting number or any part of it. '71 and '72 340s should have heads with part numbers that end in 915- as said they were on '71 360s and '72 340s with large intake valves on '71 340s.

'72 is likely a cast crank motor- my '71 build date '72 motor is anyway. (late Summer/early Fall- I forget) Not only is the balancer abnormally shaped they also have clearly cast on them "For Cast Crank Use Only" or "For External Balance Use Only" if factory.

one head has aawj with a way bigger 360 marking beside it, other head has 915 9n underside of intake runner

one head has aawj with a way bigger 360 marking beside it, other head has 915 9n underside of intake runner
Look for the full PNs. They should both have 3418915 as their full cast number. AAWJ 360 is on basically all 340/360 heads- which spans several casting numbers. The full cast number's the important part to hang up on and even then I'm not 100% there's an easy way to tell apart a large valve head besides checking the valve.

i can see 891 but the rest are missing
In the future- there should be at least 2 of the full length, small character casting numbers on the runners and then it's also on the bottom of the heads. Sounds like they're both just some variety of 915- 915's are odd in having so many varieties in markings and in final casting.

thanks infecteddog, both my 302 and 308 castings are all there casting wise, im sure this thing will need a rebuild one of these days as it has sat since 92, supposedly reringed in 85, it had red valve springs, any idea what company made those or maybe they painted them themselves/ its funny finding things people did to cars back then!

72's can also be external balance and cast crank. Mine was.
Yep- first thing I wanted to add as soon as I posted in the thread. My '71 build '72 is cast crank external balance and seems to be a great example of an original motor- came out of a Duster or Demon and was cooked in a Swinger in '82 or so.

thanks infecteddog, both my 302 and 308 castings are all there casting wise, im sure this thing will need a rebuild one of these days as it has sat since 92, supposedly reringed in 85, it had red valve springs, any idea what company made those or maybe they painted them themselves/ its funny finding things people did to cars back then!
Actually- I could guess. My Mopar Performance .500 springs were red with darker red/black stripes on them.

-
Back