One for the 318 lovers

-

Mean416

Reaction score
Some things are timeless, including the path to good power production. Here's a build from 1988 that is still absolutely relevant now. Probably not many people would bother with iron heads these days given the availability of economic aluminum heads, but most of the parts an pieces here would still make for a decent street car today.

Also funny they were talking about 340 and 360 cores getting scarce even then.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/318-street-recipes-new-mopar-power-april-1988-982-1378-99-1/amp/

Wait what.....They made more power with the shitty smaller port 302 heads than the 360 heads.....

Go build it with 11 to 1 comp and a decent cam and see what it then makes.

Wait what.....They made more power with the shitty smaller port 302 heads than the 360 heads.....

Go build it with 11 to 1 comp and a decent cam and see what it then makes.
same heads as the junk yard jewl that quickly became water sprinklers....but oh man da sum bad *** heads mannn,..gotta set ill sale ya, cheap!

same heads as the junk yard jewl that quickly became water sprinklers....but oh man da sum bad *** heads mannn,..gotta set ill sale ya, cheap!
Have you seen what @GTX JOHN has been able to accomplish with them on his 318? Truly remarkable!

Have you seen what @GTX JOHN has been able to accomplish with them on his 318? Truly remarkable!
ive seen what gtxjohn can do with his total combination,...you can blow that "302" horn all ya want man ant nuttun special bout them, thay got there place! lets not turn this into same BS every 318 head thread on this forum has, its xmas for christ sake....DWB

"Apparently, the heads are optimized for a 318-size engine"

Imagine that......

i mentioned this on another thread, but i've built this motor-- twice, in fact.

it's fun, but all the power is between 4~6K so you're really gonna want a 4spd (or 5) behind it and some gear.

it makes the number though!
its gonna be auto, but with a good stall! i got a 8.8 with limited slip and 4:10 gears!

its gonna be auto, but with a good stall! i got a 8.8 with limited slip and 4:10 gears!
that should be enough to get your attention.

on one i wound up switching out the single plane for a dual plane and smaller carb, much better manners on the street that way. it was still super fun and caught a lot of people by surprise-- especially with the aluminum flywheel it would wind up quick.

that should be enough to get your attention.

on one i wound up switching out the single plane for a dual plane and smaller carb, much better manners on the street that way. it was still super fun and caught a lot of people by surprise-- especially with the aluminum flywheel it would wind up quick.
already got both holley's intakes, street dominator and the strip dominator, looking a china made air gap to 149 bucks on amazon!! gotta few holley double pumpers in good shape and a few thermoquads and will be swaping up stuff see what works best gonna send racer brown a couple hyd roller cores to fix up too... might end up with enuff to build another sbm for my other 200 dollar duster, if i dont set the 440 outta g'pa's old new yorker in that one!

-
Back