one last question about play in the wheel

-

aarong5

Aaron Grimes
Reaction score
I just changed my gearbox because I thought it was bad. after having to ask how to do half the work (thanks guys) the wheel still has just as much play in it, my question is what else could be causing all this play? the column connects to the gearbox tight and I can't see any play there...please help because I have just waisted alot of time changing this dang gearbox for no reason... lol

If you have a wee bit of looseness in each ball joint, tie rod end, steering box, and idler arm it all adds up to a lot of looseness or play that one can feel in the steering wheel. Also I discovered a lot of play being introduced from the steering coupler connecting steering shaft to steering gear’s guts not being assembled correctly; another place to look at.

If one of these Chrysler steering gears has over 70 k miles on it probably needs adjusting, and or rebuilding.

If you have a wee bit of looseness in each ball joint, tie rod end, steering box, and idler arm it all adds up to a lot of looseness or play that one can feel in the steering wheel. Also I discovered a lot of play being introduced from the steering coupler connecting steering shaft to steering gear’s guts not being assembled correctly; another place to look at.

If one of these Chrysler steering gears has over 70 k miles on it probably needs adjusting, and or rebuilding.

X2 I also recently replaced my gearbox & rebuilt the coupler, both of which were trashed. It helped a lot, but the steering's still a bit loose. Just got new tie rods this week that I need to install. The originals were in bad shape. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Pat

so my next project should be the tie rod ends? haha I'm sick of being all over the road when I drive on narrow roads

I thought I saw something on the news about some guy in Kentucky running people off the road.
Is that you?

well to anyone that may wonder, I figured it out.... dumb me forgot to put the lock washer on the third bolt that holds on the gearbox....and it was just a wee bit lose and the whole thing moved when I turned the wheel. I had someone turn the wheel and I was going to look for play anywhere, so I had to take the column out again take that bolt out and put lock washers on it. now it steers way way better, also it was a used gearbox and there is a tiny bit of play but its so so so much better than it was.

-
Back