One of One Rare Car

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here's a car I found for sale on the Seattle Mopars Unlimited web site

1965 Plymouth Valiant Signet FACTORY Formula S - 4 speed. I, Ray Guardiano, have to be crazy to admit to owning this particular car 3 DIFFERENT TIMES in the past 20 years ! I have documentation to back up it's authenticity of this wild Valiant having left the factory as a never offered ( except just this one time ) Formula S Valiant. It was specifically built for a high ranking Boeing exec (who had something to do with the Boeing 737 program...though I do not know what. ) who was knowledgable of the performance and handling of the 1965 Barracuda Formula S cars.......however he did not care for large rear windows on the Barracuda's. Apparently he was good friends with the President of the Chrysler/Plymouth dealership, S.L. Savidge in Seattle - Mr.Sam Savidge, and sought him out to order this car. Mr. Bill Stephens wanted the following: 1965 Valiant Signet, white exterior, red bucket seat interior, power steering, AM radio, power drum brakes, black vinyl roof, Formula S package to include: HiPo 273 4-barrel (with engine dress up), 4-speed, in dash tachometer, HD suspension, 7-1/4" SureGrip, wider 14x5-1/2" steel wheels, special 14" wheelcovers, special large diameter single exhaust with chrome square tipped resonator AND Formula S badging on the sides of both front fenders. Mr Savidge himself wrote up the order and placed it with the factory. The factory advised Mr. Savidge that they COULD NOT build a Valiant with the Formula S package as they requested, "....it is NOT offered...if your customer wants the Formula S package, he will have to order a Barracuda ! ". Well, Mr Savidge then sent his request to the head of Dealer-Customer Relations at Chrysler at the time and let them know that Mr. Stephens was a high ranking individual at Boeing and that Chrysler needs to build this Valiant as per his request....VERY SOON !! Through the chain of command at Chrysler, heads rolled and this 1 of 1, Formula S Valiant was born. Mr. Stephens had such clout that Boeing flew he and his wife back to Detroit to drive the car back to Seattle aboard a Boeing 737 test flight !! On the back of the owners manual, Mr. Stephens wrote down all the flaws & problems he experienced with the car on the trip back to Seattle. The car has had 9 owners the past 45 years....with me owning 3 times !! Bruce Herbig and I first saw this car over 30 years ago at a Walter P. Chrysler club meeting....little did I know I'd be a caretaker of it 3 times !! One last thing, personalized license plates were not offered in Washington State until 1974 or 1975, but Mr. Stephens
again had such clout that the Department of Licensing issued him the 1965 Washington plate it STILL wears: " AOK 737 " .....how about that for clout !!! Yes, the car is for sale...best offer, swap or trade.

Here the link to the ad as well as pictures of the car.

http://moparsunlimited.com/newsletter/2010-01 January.pdf

I would have to see the build sheet and fender tag. Cool car if it's real.

Here's the info he had with the car at the Seattle show last year,

CopyofSeattle10059.jpg

i saw the car at the monroe WA swap meet and talked to the guy...he was tryin to get me to buy it and i would have had i been able to pay for it

I have a picture of the fender tag, but can't figure out how to get the image off of the email. He sent it to me via Kodak. If someone can help, PM me your email address.

Here's the info he had with the car at the Seattle show last year,

Do you have a close up of just the window sticker that we can read? It's too small in that combined picture.

Does anyone know who in the Tri Cities bought the car?

I'm thinking it's a fake. If this Boeing customer was so high up in the company and had all this clout why was he in the market for a Plymouth?

Does anyone know who in the Tri Cities bought the car?
I know Ray personally, didn't know he sold the car, but will ask if anyone wants to know. I am in MU Seattle with Ray and have seen the car. It really is a one of one car.

Ray is a super guy and a true Mopar Maniac. Any thing you need or need answered he probalby knows or has. He has some really cool cars too. Just saw his 62 Valiant wagon last Friday, he has a 4 door 69 Coronet he made a SuperBee clone out of and probably 10 other cars.

I know Ray personally, didn't know he sold the car, but will ask if anyone wants to know. I am in MU Seattle with Ray and have seen the car. It really is a one of one car.

Ray is a super guy and a true Mopar Maniac. Any thing you need or need answered he probalby knows or has. He has some really cool cars too. Just saw his 62 Valiant wagon last Friday, he has a 4 door 69 Coronet he made a SuperBee clone out of and probably 10 other cars.

Wasn't Ray one of the founding members of your chapter?

Best I can do. Had to crop it out of the other picture, don't have any others of the board.

untitled.jpg

I don't see Formula S package on that window sticker. Just all the individual parts that could be ordered seperate that came included in the Formula S. Only thing that has me scratching my head is the Tachometer. Could you get an optional Tach in the 1965 Valiants line?

With clever choices on the order sheet you could built non "performance package cars" like Challenger R/T's and Road Runner in certain years with the same machanicals without the apperance and emblems of the "performance package cars"

Some people did that for insurance reasons, while others didn't like the flashy-ness of the stripes and emblems.

Best I can do. Had to crop it out of the other picture, don't have any others of the board.

untitled.jpg

The original owner had contacted me personally to buy this car and I just could not afford it. It seems like it really is a one-of-one. A member of my club bought it and is in the process of restoring it. I understand it has some severe rust issues.

The car is currently in kennewick, washington

I don't see Formula S package on that window sticker.
That's the big thing that IMO, makes it a fake. The guy is billing it as a super rare Formula S, when it is really just a highly optioned Signet. Sticking badges on it and selling it that way makes it a fake.

That's the big thing that IMO, makes it a fake. The guy is billing it as a super rare Formula S, when it is really just a highly optioned Signet. Sticking badges on it and selling it that way makes it a fake.

I can't read the other papers. So I'm not throwing the "fake" term out yet.

BUT...

The tach in a 65 Valiant isn't listed in the 65 Dealer Brochure here: http://www.earlycuda.org/photos/65Vbr/01.htm

But it IS listed in the 1965 Plymouth Valiant Order Code List (dated 10-64)here:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...ershipsPlymouthOrderingInfo.shtml?load_img=33

The tach also listed in the Confidential Price Bulletin (rev date April 21, 1965) here: http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...ershipsPlymouthOrderingInfo.shtml?load_img=37
. And the Valiant in question has the 630 HD suspension on the window sticker. BUT the 634 Firm Ride shock absorbers were NOT ordered on this Valiant. Those are INCLUDED in the 65 Formula S package listed here: http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...1965/1965 barracuda order code list page2.jpg.

IMHO, that hurts the argument that this is a factory Formula S Valiant. They may be more info than on that board (probably). But that window sticker isn't showing Formula S Valiant or helping the case of it being a Formula S Valiant.

Doesn't mean the original owners lied about thinking they bought a Formula S Valiant. Or that the salespeople did not tell them it was a Formula S Valiant. They are salepeople, right.

1965%20av-dd%20page3.jpg

So.... It appears everything on that window sticker was available from the factory. And ordered by a very carefully by the original buyer :thumblef:

My parents ordered a 2003 Mustang and it was "delayed in Manufacturing". I don't see anything fake about the document provided. I just don't think it is that of an unique situation as being presented.

But those Formula S emblems I have to question. And does it have a Barracuda grille with the running lights. Would like to see dated pictures showing that.

-
Back