One of One Rare Car

-
Are you guys talking about adding a Formula S tag at the dealer to make the owner happy. :bball:

Well it says the owner picked it up at the factory. It didn't say if the S emblems were added or not. Its say they were requested at first. Interesting to see if the fenders are original and if they are pre punched for S emblems.

What is the specs on your Valiant??

I have a picture of the fender tag, but can't figure out how to get the image off of the email. He sent it to me via Kodak. If someone can help, PM me your email address.

FABO,
Try this to capture any image any where anytime!
Go to your help button (? buttton on tool bar in upper right of your screen) Hit that
Do a search for "snip it"
then you'll see this; (How I got this snip it) See pic image below...

After you have saved your snip it on your desktop, then, here on FABO just hit the paper clip symbol on your post tool bar, then browse, pic, upload as usual pics.
Good Luck!:thumblef:

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 399
Cool...yes, rare...indeed, Formula "S", NOT!!! This car is not a Formula "S", all of the items included in the package could be ordered seperately. If it were a Formula "S", it would clearly state that on the window sticker, with all of the items included in the Formula "S" package itemized under the designation. And no build sheet??? Lots of "documentation" but no build sheet, huh??? I think it's a clear case of a buyer wanting something that was not available, a savvy salesman who knew how the make the customer happy by building an order to satisfy the customer, possibly with some coaching of management as to how to get it done, and a buyer who accepted the closest thing he could get to what he wanted. I'd like to see a closeup of the rough draft and correspondence to see if the salesman wrote down "Formula "S" and tried to order it that way, and if management actually denied his request for the "package". IMO, definetely not a Formula "S" though!!! Geof

Thanks 64dart170! Here is the fender tag for the Formula 'S' Valiant.

Attachments

• Val Formula S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 372
After reading all the comments, scanning the paperwork, reading the fender tag, and looking at the photos, I can definately say with confidence.....

This is a way cool car :thumblef:

I know Ray personally, didn't know he sold the car, but will ask if anyone wants to know. I am in MU Seattle with Ray and have seen the car. It really is a one of one car.

Ray is a super guy and a true Mopar Maniac. Any thing you need or need answered he probalby knows or has. He has some really cool cars too. Just saw his 62 Valiant wagon last Friday, he has a 4 door 69 Coronet he made a SuperBee clone out of and probably 10 other cars.

I've personally never seen a 4dr Superbee!

Very cool Valiant.
I don't know if its still around, but I used to see a red 65 Valiant Signet convertible at some local shows that had the factory 4 speed and 273 4bbl and the 14" bolt on style wheel covers. I don't know about the optional suspension.
As for Valiants with the Barracuda grille, the Mexican built 65 Valiant Acapulco convertible and 2 door hardtop came from the factory with the 65 Barracuda grille, but were otherwise Signets.
As for the Valiant in question, if it did indeed have the Formula S package, wouldn't that have included blue streak tires rather than the white walls that show up on the window sticker?

I dont believe it, heres why.

As a Boeing employee, I wouldnt buy things from most other Boeing employees. Looking at the "for sale board" at work for 5 seconds will make you laugh. And influencing the DOL into making a personalized plate when they werent available...............more than a lil far fetched.

And lastly, the article says "Mr. Stephens had such clout that Boeing flew he and his wife back to Detroit to drive the car back to Seattle aboard a Boeing 737 test flight !! " ...........................the 737 first flew in 1967.........and dude bought a 1965 Valiant............in what year?

JMO

Bad Shrimp

P.S.
I think "dont church it up son" fits lol

P.P.S.
During "test flights" non essential personel are generally not allowed on board during flight. During "test flights" and "testing phases" of new aircraft they have virtually no interior, and virtually no creature comforts. In addition the aircraft would be labelled as "experimental" untill certified by the FAA. Which would make it even more highly unlikely that non essential personel would be aboard an experimental aircraft on a test flight. The story is completely fake IMO.

I know Ray, and have no doubts about his integrity or the authenticity of the Signet, but I do question the method in which the car is claimed to have been brought to Seattle.

First, the 737...designated aircraft # PA099...didn't fly until mid-1966, so why would he buy a '65 when the '67 models were already being built?

Second, the chance of getting a hop to Detroit aboard a test aircraft would be pretty slim. Things were much looser in that era, but every minute of those test flights are tightly scheduled and you don't just swing by another city to drop off a couple of people bumming a ride.

Finally, I knew many of the people involved in the 737 program, and I never heard of any executive named Bill Stephens...but then I don't recall what I had for dinner last night either, so I might be wrong on that point. However, I'm not wrong on the 737 info.

FWIW, I sold Chryslers and Plymouths in 1964, and you could special order equipment that was not a standard option. It was no more difficult than the dealer working with the regional rep for availability, schedule and pricing, and anyone could do it. You didn't have to be a corporate executive to pull strings. You only had to pay extra and usually wait forever. As an example, I ordered a '64 New Yorker with a floor mount 3-speed manual transmission for a wealthy old farmer who didn't trust automatic transmissions. I'm guessing that was probably a one-of-one that would have gotten enthusiasts into an argument.

..ok..what did it sell for ..not new but now ?
That's really the key tho, right? That's the whole purpose of the contrived Boeing executive story, the "Formula S" designation, documentation and whatever other hype is being applied to this car - to pump up the price.

People who do that shyt have no integrity. It has a negative influence on the collector car market and makes it that much harder for less savvy buyers to know what they are buying.

Guys,

Lets not get into name calling. I merely posted this on the board for all to see. Setting aside all the hype on this car you have to admit it's a cool car no matter who owned it. I'll keep my opinon to myself. Without seeing the documemtation first hand I'll keep my opinion to myself. I know several of the Seattle Mopars Unlimited members and they have no reason to lie.

It's real cool, don't think it's a true S though. Has anyone seen the exhaust cut-out in the rear valance? If it's cut for the big single exhaust it may be more S than not. Mopar has done some strange stuff over the years. I have a VIN number for a 67 Barracuda with a G in the engine call out. That's a 383 TWO barrel code. Early VIN Sequence so who knows what they wanted do. It would not be hard to do it on the assembly line.

I cant help myself,,,,,,,,,,Beating a dead horse but WTH right?

http://rbogash.com/737mwh.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737

its April 1967 indeedily dooo neighbor.

Another big fish story .......... Just Sayin'

JMO

Bad Shrimp

SANY0119.jpg

Its just a 4 door Coronet sedan he made into a 4 door Bee

Yes, I'm aware of that.
If I was going to clone a car, I wouldn't use a 4 dr to clone a 2 dr!
But then, my preference has always been 2 drs.
Thats all I own!
CudaMike

Thanks 64dart170! Here is the fender tag for the Formula 'S' Valiant.

The SO number is 503 does this mean May 3 1965 ??
The dealer invoice says May,28 1965 at the bottom

Am I reading this right ?

I would have thought that the invoice would be before the vehicle was built on a special order.

I have no idea whether the Valiant Signet with Formula S package discussed here is authentic, but in 1965 I did order a Valiant Signet convertible with the Formula S package and 4 speed transmission. I ordered it through my father, who at that time worked at a Chrysler Plymouth dealership in Harrisonburg, Va. The car was delivered to that dealership with the Formula S engine, suspension, wheels, tires and badging (as I recall, the round Formula S badges were in the front fenders behind the front wheel wells). It was dark turquoise metallic with a black interior and top. I have photos and movies of the car and will try to find them, along with documentation, so that I can post them on this website.

So, what I have long thought was a one-of-one car, my Formula S Valiant may have been one-of-two. I sold it in 1967 to a gentleman in Arlington, Va. to buy a 67 GTX convertible. I took delivery of that car at the factory in Detroit.

I have owned many Mopars, including two 67 GTX convertibles (one 4 spd, one auto) several Chrysler 300 letter cars (including a white 55 C300, a black 57 300C cpe, a white 60 300F cpe, two 61 G's - one convertible triple black and one red cpe, and a tan 64 300K convert.), a 70 Hemi Cuda (auto) and a 70 Hemi Challenger (4 spd). Unfortunately, I sold all of these years ago except the 300F, which I just sold 2 years ago to a gentleman in Canada.

Didn't mean to get so wordy, but I just came across this post about the Formula S Valiant and wanted to share my story about the Formula S Valiant that I personally ordered.

This is very interesting, but you do realize that your newsletter exposes every recipient on that email list to SPAM?

[ame]http://apicdn.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=508e022f256315a50e8e5af8c001704f&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forabodiesonly.com%2Fmopar%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D143748&out=http%3A%2F%2Fmoparsunlimited.com%2Fnewsletter%2F2010-01%2520January.pdf[/ame]

Attachments

• email.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 157
-
Back