One of the reasons

-
The sound awesome no matter what cam it's running. They rap when down shifting and the sound as well as the power range is somewhat adjustable. Been there since the 90's. On the freeways, passing other cars scares the **** out of' em..

lol awesome!

I don't see the problem. I say use what you want to use. If you want to go all MoPar, fine. But don't condemn someone else's decision to use non MoPar stuff. I joke around sometimes about it, but the bottom line is it's your car. Fix it like you want it.

Nice, I like the shaker scoop I believe the first I have seen on an A body , and supertrapps I have not seen a set of those in quite a while. I love being different i'm one of 3 mopar guys at our friday night cruise in [normally around 60 cars] and we get razzed quite a bit.

A little history of my Signet - I actually bought it from a little old lady who kept it in her garage during winter months and it was black with a red interior, completely stock with 62,000 miles 273, 904 trans, 7-1/4 rear. Car needed paint as it was fading.

I had it 3 days before I removed the engine, trans, wiring system, front end, gas tank, rear end, windshield and dash as I already had a dash done by a friend also a pinstriper with all of what you see, he built it for my 65 Barracuda.

I already collected most of what I needed for the winter drags in NY..

During the next 2 weeks, my friend Paulie and myself put in a roller cam 318 I had from a 66 Valiant street racer, Frank Lupo of Dynamic transmission built me a 62 BB 727 race trans and a 3000 stall convertor and for that length of time working every day and 1/2 the night installed a 74 Duster disc brake assembly, sway bar running through the K frame, welded in frame connectors, 22 gallon fuel cell, new dash with all that you see, alum. shifter box. An iron worker friend built the transmission mounts to my cardboard specs. It took us maybe two weeks before it hit the street.

Some years later I installed a roller cam 340 out to 355 and dynoed at 479hp which was sweet but short lived, power range was heavy duty and I couldn't keep my foot out of it.

Now it's got a fairly stock 91 Hyd. roller cam 360, still with all my race stuff and is somewhat fast but not anywhere near to where my reality lies and this is where my problem begins and where your problems with me stems from...

I will do whatever I need to in order to have a good running fast and great gas mileage vehicle which is equal to my full size 90 Chevy p/u with its balanced 96 Corvette LT1 and T56 six speed which is faster than my 2500 pound Signet and gets 25 plus mpg. Mopar engines just won't do that and the new hemi is bigger than the LS1 and the LS1 is as small as the 360 yet lighter than the 340. And as we all know a lighter front end on this particular vehicle is best to have for cornering and control.

Now you have a reason to dislike me, but remember this, unless Fiat / Chrysler comes out with a comparison to the GM technology and thoughtfulness, all good things remain on the table...

Dude I like your car alot!

Can you deal with a little constructive criticism from me though?

Dude I like your car alot!

Can you deal with a little constructive criticism from me though?

I feel I am old enough for constructive criticism, yet I have been around the block more than once so to speak as well as in the desert awaiting parts during a breakdown in one of my vehicles and as they said, if it was anything other than a Chrysler part, we would have carried it.

Go ahead my friend...

I feel I am old enough for constructive criticism, yet I have been around the block more than once so to speak as well as in the desert awaiting parts during a breakdown in one of my vehicles and as they said, if it was anything other than a Chrysler part, we would have carried it.

Go ahead my friend...
I don't care about the Chevy thing, roll your own path dude.

Keep in mind all but one a part of my critcism is opinions. To each there own.

1st: I love the shaker hood scoop. But it seems like there is a large gap between it an the hood almost as though the sides don't sit quite flush to it. Yet I love the scoop. I also feel as though the square lines of the hood scoop clash with the round ones of the Valiant. But it also seems refreshing. But my eyes say I love the scoop. The small size of it though makes me think of a Rustang. But I'm in love with the scoop. In the end, definitely not a love it or hate it piece as I am totally riding the fence on it. Kudos for having the balls to do it. And I think, pull it off too.... maybe....

2nd: If you typically keep the tank full, ditch the 22 gallon cell for a 15. You will have to stop more freuently for gas but your fuel economy will rise. You will go faster too.

3rd: I can't decide whether or not the super traps are working for you. But I personally feel like they are too close together.

4th: Add some blue to the car somewhere, even a pinstripe. Or ditch the blue lense parking lights. They look out of place.

BTW: If it seemed totally stupid that I told you I loved your car then proceeded to tear it to shreads nitpicking. I should tell you that the last five years, me and my best friend have judged the annual car show held by our high school band boosters and we shall again next year too. I tend to do that to all cars.

Ok so I just noticed the shaker scoop has curves as well as straight lines. I'm warming up to it or at least understanding better why I like it so much as I now realize the straight lines mimic/blend/fit-in-with the straight lines on the windsheild while the curves blend with the rest of the car. It still looks like it sets too low in the hole through the hood.

Is your car minitubbed like i think it appeara to be? If so has the springs been relocated? If so then I can get over the super traps exiting so close to each other.

One last thing, I take back what I said on the parking lights. I just noticed the red interior. Ditch the blue lights and use red. Maybe even add a red pinstripe somewhere cause red on black is badassery in a can.

While I do understand what your saying to an extent,I see no reason why you should beef on a purist,and vice versa.

I have 2 Darts. One is a purist,340 replica,and one is my style.

Have a picture of how you want to build a car,and build it.

There you go,Bobs your Uncle.

Enjoy !

Matt, to me, the shaker actually sits too high and actually sits higher when running a Holly carburetor compared to the Eddy that's now on it. I first had a Holly Pro 4 injection which it was to run which would have brought it to the correct level ( I still have the new unit in it's box ) I like a smooth look which it will have when the bottom of the two intake holes are even with the top of the hood itself.......... No the car is not mini tubbed and the springs are where they have always been, when I first started to build this, I knew exactly the look and drive I wanted yet it wasn't the in thing as of that day although I had all of which was needed in part from Alston to do the pro street thing. I wanted that car to handle and not be a straight line anything. The springs were matched for handling and control as well as sway bars and other stuff according to the Mopar book on autocross and suspensions for A-bogies which is a very hard to come by book. I actually had the front sway bar cut a certain way to be shorter and run through the K frame so it's not real visible but works exceptional............ The parking lights are actually driving lights and will turn from blue to clear white and both the parking lights which are also the directionals are located within the headlights, so in the early evening the headlights itself turn an Amber color and when the directional is used the headlight appears to blink but not the headlight itself which stays sharp, only the directionals. The Signet has a complete Ron Francis wiring system which has been there since the third week I owned it.
I love the body style and the way I made it look, very sinister. There will never be any stripe on my Signet unless I flame it in which case I myself designed the way I would do it some years back. The only change to the outside of the car will be wheels once I find out which will fit. Believe it or not I had a complete set of Halibrants with knock offs ( no lug nuts would have been used ) for the Signet years ago but I was offered more money than I paid for the Signet itself when I bought it, so they are now gone. Car needs wheels as the 14" police car wheels which is on it to me are outdated and tires are getting hard to find.

In my last post, sitting somewhere in FABO waiting for an answer is a question on what size wheels and tires will fit on my Signet..

Hope I answered your questions, take care................ Joey Madden

Johnny Dart, Beefing as you put it on purists is something two fold. I am a bonified designer and hotrodder and I have had and still have many modified vehicles, I am by no means a purist or someone who dedicates their life to keep something original. On the other hand there are those who are purists, some of which are hypocritical in terms where they believe everything should remain their way or at least the way which it was intended to.......... Yet down the road, they will use other manufacturers engine parts, transmissions and rear ends to accomplish what?

That is not my problem, it's their problem and reminds me of the " do what I say but not what I do " type which lives to suppress others from evolving..

Matt. Another thing.... the reason the pipes are so close together is because they go straight back from the headers to the rear bumper without much of a curve, straight back and under the rear housing to the SuperTrapps and in all the years they've been on there, never a problem. BTW, the fuel cell in enclosed in an aluminum compartment which is bolted to the trunk floor and the fuel lines are braided 1/2 " lines from the cell to the electric fuel pump than there are two aluminum fuel lines forward to take your pick from depending on what the engine needs, either 3/8" or 1/2" fuel line.

And I never finished the Shaker hood cutout because I never actually finished the car.

BTW, I am 70 years old and can take whatever is thrown at me and give you a perfect answer as well...

Joey, I think your car is very nice. Like you I am a hotrodder and that is the direction I'm going with my 64 Dart.Was it hard to make everything work correctly when you moved the push button to the trans tunnel ? I like that look and may borrow your idea if you don't mind.I'm an old guy too and have always liked to march to the beat of a different drummer.

I feel if you are building a car you will drive, build it so you can drive it reliably. If that means updating to newer, and obviously better, technology so be it.
If you are building a show car, then build it how you want, whether it be 100% original or custom.
Your car looks cool Hotlines. It is clear that you like to, and do, drive it.

HotLines, I think your Signet looks great. Love the shaker hood mod 8-)

Also, your thoughts on upgrading the wheels & tires is a good one IMO. 17's or 18's in flashy chrome spoke will totally change the look. Sorry, but I'm no help on which wheel/tire combo will fit your car though.......

Joey, I think your car is very nice. Like you I am a hotrodder and that is the direction I'm going with my 64 Dart.Was it hard to make everything work correctly when you moved the push button to the trans tunnel ? I like that look and may borrow your idea if you don't mind.I'm an old guy too and have always liked to march to the beat of a different drummer.

It was simply building a box starting with the face, removing the push button system from its stock location along with the plastic surround where the buttons come through and making the new face to match the button assembly, once that is done, assemble the box by welding and than install the push buttons. You may need to relocate the cables to whatever hole in the firewall so the cable doesn't crimp. It's just a simple setup making it easier to push the buttons on my transmission because it's a manual valve body..

Hope this helps

HotLines, I think your Signet looks great. Love the shaker hood mod 8-)

Also, your thoughts on upgrading the wheels & tires is a good one IMO. 17's or 18's in flashy chrome spoke will totally change the look. Sorry, but I'm no help on which wheel/tire combo will fit your car though.......

Hollywood Hig helped me yet I keep losing his wheel and tire dimensions..

-
Back