One of those storys...

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
I run a family restaurant and you always meet all kinds of people through chit chats and what not, but one guy I have been talking to for a couple months now, seems like he knows his Mopar's and has told me about cars he had in the past, and still has a roadrunner and a belvedere, anyways he claims to have bought a 1970 383 Superbee coronet in the fall of 1970 when the 1971 model's where coming out, he said the car had sat in the show room for along time it was Green go with green interior and a Green vinyl top, Bench seats with an auto on the column, that all seems legit where it gets odd is, he says when they pulled it out of the show room they had a hard time keeping it running, but just figured it was from it sitting inside for so long. So he finally drove the car home and opened the hood and realized the 383 had a cross ram with 2 4barrels on it.... did they offer 383 cross rams? Also said it had the hood with the two scoops molded into the hood not the ones bolted on.... Story seemed a bit off.

Bet that green go/sassy grass looked horrible with a f6 green top and int.

You're right. Back during the winter of 2009 it was discussed here. It's in the archives. Search under "Cross Ram Intake Questions" Your answers are there. Dan

I had a never built 69 Coronet R/T with a 440 six pack motor not Just the intake 1300 miles.. I bought it in 71 from the original owner who ordered the car . My son ended up working for the dealer Berk motors. The lot owners son who now has the car lot remembers the car. The dealer installed the motor new.

4 spd. with aA/C cars either had to have the A/C dealer installed. A-bodies A/C could be ordered with a 3 speed floor shift. And a dealer installed 4 speed. It was the buyers choice and a paper would have to be signed for the change at the dealer. So anything is possible. The scoops he mentioned were probably the twin opening bubble hood available on the Super bee or R/T in 1970.

I had a never built 69 Coronet R/T with a 440 six pack motor not Just the intake 1300 miles.. I bought it in 71 from the original owner who ordered the car . My son ended up working for the dealer Berk motors. The lot owners son who now has the car lot remembers the car. The dealer installed the motor new.

4 spd. with aA/C cars either had to have the A/C dealer installed. A-bodies A/C could be ordered with a 3 speed floor shift. And a dealer installed 4 speed. It was the buyers choice and a paper would have to be signed for the change at the dealer. So anything is possible. The scoops he mentioned were probably the twin opening bubble hood available on the Super bee or R/T in 1970.

Yeah, he said he had a 72 GTX package ordered in the fall of 72 as well and wanted the Hemi in it, but the dealer said they were no longer ordered, so he said he was walking away, the dealer ordered the GTX and had a Hemi ordered separate, and wala he had a 72 GTX Hemi

Hood would have looked like this.

Attachments

• Superbee 70 EF8 front 383 001.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 308
  • Superbee 70 EF8 side.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 309
Bought a new car and never open the hood to look at the engine until he got home? That's a red flag right there.Must of been one of those 383 Hemi's.......LOL

I talked to a guy that had a friend who had a Road Runner with a factory roll cage. I just ignored the comment. The things you hear.

Perhaps it was dealer installed? Friend is a Pontiac nut, he as a car that has a factory Ram Air set up on it....he purchased the car from the original owner who told Dave that the Ram Air was not on the option list when he purchased the car, but he was able to order it anyway. When he picked the car up from the dealer all of the necessary pieces were in the trunk. Dave verified this thru some Historical Pontiac organization...

Bought a new car and never open the hood to look at the engine until he got home? That's a red flag right there.Must of been one of those 383 Hemi's.......LOL

Was told it was a 383 looked at the sticker in the window... I don't know of many people that open the hood on a new car they are buying, why would you?

I open the hood of every car I'm even considering buying.
If it's a performance oriented car, I open it several times.
Even if it's a car someone else is buying.
If they take me with them, the hood gets opened.

Yes Yes I open the hoods and do all the checks as well, but we are car guys and we are always aware well sometimes, but I know lots of people who would never open hoods for the simple fact that if they did open the hood, they would have no idea what they were even looking at..

That's true. Most wouldn't know how to open the hood let alone know why they opened it. True story from the Dodge Plymouth Chrysler dealership I worked in during the late 60's. Guy in his 50's brings in the family station wagon with a strange noise that went away by the time he drove over from the other side of town. Brand new wagon and wants it checked. I open the hood and (did I mention it was winter?) I find what's left of his neighbors cat in the fan shroud. Poor thing crawled in to get warm after he parked it for the night. Must have been a deep sleeper not to hear him and once he started the engine that was it. The guy never even opened the hood to check the noise. Dan

Yes Yes I open the hoods and do all the checks as well, but we are car guys and we are always aware well sometimes, but I know lots of people who would never open hoods for the simple fact that if they did open the hood, they would have no idea what they were even looking at..

Good point.As a car guy it's easy to forget not everybody is.

hey pulled it out of the show room they had a hard time keeping it running, but just figured it was from it sitting inside for so long

The dealer didn't lift the hood....

:worthles:

If you're buying a new Super Bee, how are you NOT a "car guy"?

If you're buying a new Super Bee, how are you NOT a "car guy"?

He needed a second car, It was the year end for the 70 coronet, the 71's were being shipped out, they dealer wanted the car gone and he got one hell of a deal on it.

We owned our 2004 RAV4 nearly 5 years before I ever raised its hood.
We've had the 2011 RAV4 well over 2 years now and I have never raised its hood either. No need to

Don't really know about the '70's, but in the '60's you could get just about anything you wanted. If the factory wouldn't build it the dealer would. I bought a 63 Buick Riviera, was sitting on the dealer lot. Biggest V-8 (can't remember the cubes), two 4 bbl carbs, auto,and styled wheels. The 4 sp trans was not available in the Riviera. The dealer had a Wildcat convert. with a 4 speed, that wouldn't sell. He swaped the 4 speed into the Riv, and put the auto into the Wildcat. Also swaped the Wildcat wire wheels with the Riviera styled wheels.

Don't really know about the '70's, but in the '60's you could get just about anything you wanted. If the factory wouldn't build it the dealer would. I bought a 63 Buick Riviera, was sitting on the dealer lot. Biggest V-8 (can't remember the cubes), two 4 bbl carbs, auto,and styled wheels. The 4 sp trans was not available in the Riviera. The dealer had a Wildcat convert. with a 4 speed, that wouldn't sell. He swaped the 4 speed into the Riv, and put the auto into the Wildcat. Also swaped the Wildcat wire wheels with the Riviera styled wheels.

Yep, Was a time when dealerships were only found in major cities.
A buyer would check equipment and option boxes on a mail order form then go to the dealer to take delivery. In some cases they would deliver the car to the buyer.

5 minutes ago I just heard from somebody at work that somebody's uncle had a 1968 bla bla bla with a 440 and a rock crusher and a six pack. I just smiled and nodded.

Was told it was a 383 looked at the sticker in the window... I don't know of many people that open the hood on a new car they are buying, why would you?

I work for Ford, 60 year old grandmothers look under the hood. They don't know what they are looking at but they still look.

Everyone looks.

-
Back