Only starts in neutral

-

Saetun

Sinister Swinger
Reaction score
Well the title says it all, 73 swinger was starting fine in Park but now, turn the key, dash lights work but no start. Actually nothing, no ticking, no cranking, nothing. Shift to Neutral & starts right up. Where do I look for the loose or shorted connection? Can someone please help

Either the detent safety switch, or your linkage is out of adjustment. I bet if you put it in R, hold the key to start, and shift it fast back into park it will crank.

Yeah, which almost HAS to be the case, because if the sender was bad, it would be making you angry in neutral too.

Worked like a charm, now it's starting in Park again. Time to pull out my haynes manual & take a look at the linkage. Thx much

Lube everything, even in the column, if it is working again like normal, after doing that, it probably needs oil!

It's the park safety switch. LOL

I agree with the ideas above regarding the switch, or linkage adjustment.

It's the two wire switch above the bell crank.

Lubing, just have someone shift it and lube every place you see movement.

Your tranny linkage is just a hair out of adjustment.
Get the car up on jack stands and crawl under the driver seat.
Have somebody run the tranny thru the gears and then put it back in park while you watch the linkage move.
The lever and rod attached to the tranny will move to the rear of the car as the tranny goes from drive, thru neutral, reverse and into park.
When it hits park.,loosen the adjuster bolt on the swivel assembly and move it forward (towards the engine) about 1/8th of an inch.
Tighten the bolt and try to start it.

DSCN1105.jpg

Update

Just had my tranny done. Told them of this problem and they told me that there was a nylon bushing that had a ton of play. They said this would cure the problem. I will let you know.

B

Your tranny linkage is just a hair out of adjustment.
Get the car up on jack stands and crawl under the driver seat.
Have somebody run the tranny thru the gears and then put it back in park while you watch the linkage move.
The lever and rod attached to the tranny will move to the rear of the car as the tranny goes from drive, thru neutral, reverse and into park.
When it hits park.,loosen the adjuster bolt on the swivel assembly and move it forward (towards the engine) about 1/8th of an inch.
Tighten the bolt and try to start it.

DSCN1105.jpg

Thx Dave, This worked perfectly!!!

-
Back