Open car trailer vs enclosed

Flat bed vs enclosed hauler

• Total voters
-
Hey Dox, you are in Missouri! Get an open trailer or people will call you Dr. Fancy Nancy! \\ Put the kids in the cars and tell them to hold everything down.

Hey Dox, you are in Missouri! Get an open trailer or people will call you Dr. Fancy Nancy! \\ Put the kids in the cars and tell them to hold everything down.

This is a fantastic idea, I mean what could go wrong. Just a little road rash, it’ll wash off :rofl:

I use an open trailer when I'm hauling my project stuff, to places to be worked on. Once a car is painted, always enclosed. I've seen people do some seriously stupid stuff with open trailers.

Little late to the party, but we everyone else said, the open trailer will work just fine. In fact, I hauled a Duster, in almost the exact condition as your Dart, from Houston, Tx to Kentucky on an open trailer.

As for mowers, check out Country Clippers. You can get them with single joystick control and they’re AWESOME! We bought the Boulevard model 2 years ago and the only regret I ever had was not being able to convince my wife that we need the Challenger, Charger or Boss XL model.
:lol:

If you buy and open trailer you will only need one trailer. The open trailer can haul things that an enclosed can’t like piles of dirt, gravel, swing sets, tractors, implements for tractors etc..
Ive hade my open trailer for 35 years and I have used it for just about everything besides hauling a car.
one thing, put a winch on it you will hardly ever use it, but it will be the best money you ever spent when you need it…
True that. A open trailer is very versatile. An enclosed trailer can be used for weather tight/secure storage that can come in handy for many of us. Something else to think about.

i would use a open trailer if that’s all i had . tie down car as best you can , the secure the rest . take a slow ride home !

I have both an enclosed and open trailer.
The open trailer gets the crap used out of it, the enclosed one has become just a storage building.

Thanks! No worries with damaging the doors holding them shut with ratchet straps?
If it were me I'd put a blanket on the roof and run the ratchet strap through the window opening, and over the roof

Hook the hooks to themselves inside the car

This is a fantastic idea, I mean what could go wrong. Just a little road rash, it’ll wash off :rofl:
KIds that age bounce when they hot the ground. As a kid (and older) I never broke when falling off a running horse at 35 mph but I never fell off a car trailer doing 70 either!!!!

Actually Doc, the guys that said use straps and moving blackets are right. Over the decades I have hauled everything from slants to hemis and all in between from perfect nut/bolt restored to parts cars and all in between, and never in 75 years owned an enclosd trailer. But then again, I admit I am not fancy. :poke: :BangHead: :thumbsup: :confederateflag: :confederateflag: :confederateflag: :confederateflag:

Yes. Open trailer. I use the hell out of my open trailer. Enclosed are a pain in the ***. I don’t like em.

My open trailer, my 3rd or fourth after how many decades? the frame braces are so old and thin they won't hold the floor screws any longer. I guess I needs a tread plare floor!!! and a guy offered me $1500 for it other day! I bet a new one is $3000!

Go down to MSC or Fed Ex or some place that wraps pallets locally for shipping and grab a roll of plastic shrink wrap. Wrap the whole car. Cheap, easy, and very secure. Then just tie the car down to the trailer like normal.

Little late to the party, but we everyone else said, the open trailer will work just fine. In fact, I hauled a Duster, in almost the exact condition as your Dart, from Houston, Tx to Kentucky on an open trailer.

As for mowers, check out Country Clippers. You can get them with single joystick control and they’re AWESOME! We bought the Boulevard model 2 years ago and the only regret I ever had was not being able to convince my wife that we need the Challenger, Charger or Boss XL model.
:lol:

I’m looking at zero turn mowers now! Either that or a small tractor with a belly or pull behind mower. Then a couple of cows and write all that **** off on my taxes lol.

Ok I’ll do the open trailer. Only other good thing about a closed trailer is I could move my cars and pack up some of my **** in the garage/spare room to move to the new house.

the alternator in my purple car died this morning going to get donuts so I’m gonna have to find a new alternator for it.

Enclosed with living quarters in the front section.

Instead of a zero turn mower consider a front mount like the old Yazoo or the Ferris. If you have to mow up under bushes and trees and shrubs you do not want to be on a zero turn because it's pulling your body into the brush or the tree. On a front mount the deck will go in 4 or 5 ft before your body starts to come in contact with the Bush or tree.
It looks like you have about a 7 ft bush hog in that Barn. Buy an old farm tractor for it. That'll save you hours of mowing time.
By the way congratulations on the purchase of the home and the buildings. Now you need to fill that Barn up with Mopars.

Instead of a zero turn mower consider a front mount like the old Yazoo or the Ferris. If you have to mow up under bushes and trees and shrubs you do not want to be on a zero turn because it's pulling your body into the brush or the tree. On a front mount the deck will go in 4 or 5 ft before your body starts to come in contact with the Bush or tree.
It looks like you have about a 7 ft bush hog in that Barn. Buy an old farm tractor for it. That'll save you hours of mowing time.
By the way congratulations on the purchase of the home and the buildings. Now you need to fill that Barn up with Mopars.

Thanks!

That brush hog is the old owners, it’s not there anymore. I’d love one of those but don’t know if I really need one…

You could get a POD (or buy a cargo container) and have them set it on your flat bed trailer to haul the misc house stuff.

My 2nd to last move I moved everything in the back of a full sized pickup. (Bed nets are your friend)

Then for the large stuff I used a u haul truck.

My one way was 17 miles but with traffic it was 45 minutes.

Everyday after work I would take a load over.

Also if you picked up a few pallets you can enclose the front 3/4 of an open trailer

I’m looking at zero turn mowers now! Either that or a small tractor with a belly or pull behind mower. Then a couple of cows and write all that **** off on my taxes lol.
Depends on how much to mow and what. If you got enough ground, get both. Tracktor with bush hog and GOOD Z turn.

Ok I’ll do the open trailer. Only other good thing about a closed trailer is I could move my cars and pack up some of my **** in the garage/spare room to move to the new house.

the alternator in my purple car died this morning going to get donuts so I’m gonna have to find a new alternator for it.
I was shopping for an enclosed trailer for my racecar, and also to move three households of stuff for my family, from california to Arizona. Very disappointed by the premium placed on West coast trailers, compared to back east. Roughly 75-100% more.
My friend found a box truck with a rebuilt diesel with a lift gate, that was being sold cheap (less than half what a 24 ft trailer was getting)
California has literally outlawed older diesel work trucks, every two years, two more years of trucks become un-licensable. Since we could title it in Arizona we bought it, it has easily paid for itself already. It did need tires (I'm told, I wasn't there) that cost about a third of what we paid for the truck.
(Oh, and it's perfectly capable of towing my racecar, or any other car I own, on my open trailer.)
Every couple years there is a glut of perfectly usable california diesel worktrucks available.....if you can title them somewhere else.
Edit: I could probably carry my Opel in the box..... if I could find suitable ramps, long enough and stout enough....

Last edited:
^^^ I can see where some serious money could be made buying Ca. trucks and bringing them to Tx.for resale!!!!!!!
That is already being done. Mine was a $12 grand truck, we got for $6k, about what the lift gate was worth. Slightly less than the overhaul bill was for the engine.
This year, your work truck has to be a 2010 or newer. Next year it will have to be a 2012 or newer.
California has banned older trucks at the ports no matter where registered, and banned sale of NEW diesels, period, in 2036.

Last edited:
You could get a POD (or buy a cargo container) and have them set it on your flat bed trailer to haul the misc house stuff.

My 2nd to last move I moved everything in the back of a full sized pickup. (Bed nets are your friend)

Then for the large stuff I used a u haul truck.

My one way was 17 miles but with traffic it was 45 minutes.

Everyday after work I would take a load over.

Also if you picked up a few pallets you can enclose the front 3/4 of an open trailer
Don't ever use pallets for anything.
They get recycled over and over, one month they maybe stacked with boxes, the next month loaded down with 55 gal chemical drums, the next time sitting at a fertilizer plant.
They are covered with chemicals, I will not even touch them, unless I have gloves on my hands.

-
Back