Open Full Deck Trailer Length

Open Full Deck Trailer Length

• Total voters
-

72DMag

Reaction score
Local open car hauler manufacturer is having a sale on their trailers for 2 weeks only. I've been eyeing up a 18' full deck steel trailer with 5000lb axles.

The dealer told me for $400 more I could get a custom built 20'. And for $800 more (compared to the 18') I could get a 22' deck trailer. So it got me thinking what to buy.... Which length will retain its value and be most popular choice as a full deck open hauler? Feel free leave a comment as to why and what you would choose. Thanks!!

I guess it all depends on what you want to haul. Mine is 16 I think and it BARELY hauled the V10 big cab/ 8' bed donor truck home, AKA the rear tires were barely on the deck. BUT THAT is OK!!! I don't envision ever needing anything larger.

If you have land and might need to haul a tractor/ dozer, etc, you might keep in mind weight ratings much more than deck length

When it comes to trailers, I prefer the shortest possible that gets the job done. I think an 18' trailer would haul anything I ever thought about putting on one.

I have been a muscle car transporter for 15 years now full time, and towed for 35 years. I have had every kind of trailer known to man, last year I got a new 24' v-nose enclosed (my 10th) and another new 20' steel deck open trailer with a 9500 lb winch. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a full width 22' open with drive over fenders, I have needed it lately. I picked up a 2001 Mexican Ramcharger with a Cummins 6-speed and the wheelbase width was too much for the 20' trailer and I ended up ruining the fenders as the owner tried to drive it on. After we backed it off and beat the fenders back out we put spares on the front so it would fit, you live and you learn...

2001 Mexican Ramcharger.jpg

I have been a muscle car transporter for 15 years now full time, and towed for 35 years. I have had every kind of trailer known to man, last year I got a new 24' v-nose enclosed (my 10th) and another new 20' steel deck open trailer with a 9500 lb winch. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a full width 22' open with drive over fenders, I have needed it lately. I picked up a 2001 Mexican Ramcharger with a Cummins 6-speed and the wheelbase width was too much for the 20' trailer and I ended up ruining the fenders as the owner tried to drive it on. After we backed it off and beat the fenders back out we put spares on the front so it would fit, you live and you learn...

View attachment 1716148277
I admit fender were an issue when I hauled the donor truck home. I took a couple of skinny mounted tires, and put blocks down inside of one fender to drive up over, and rubbed the other side against the inboard of the fenders, so we skated through. Of course you could always build/ reinforce fender so you can just drive over 'em LOL

Kinda depends on where you are gonna keep it, and how much room you have.
My open has a 14 ft bed, and I have never had anything that I wanted to tow that was too long for the trailer.
Where I keep mine most of the time, an 18 footer would be a pain in the ***, and a 22 footer simply will not fit.
Towed a standard cab dually, 6000 lbs, from CA to AZ on my 14 footer.

For low slung cars removable trailer fenders are nice. For these cars also consider beaver tail and longer ramps.

Mine is an 18' steel diamond plate deck, with the back 4' dovetailed. I hauled an 88 long bed D100 on it just fine. If you have room to easily park and turn a 20' trailer, that might be a nice option. I have to back mine into my driveway, and then around behind the house. It's tighter than a mouses ear, so 18' was my biggest option.

Local open car hauler manufacturer is having a sale on their trailers for 2 weeks only. I've been eyeing up a 18' full deck steel trailer with 5000lb axles.

The dealer told me for $400 more I could get a custom built 20'. And for $800 more (compared to the 18') I could get a 22' deck trailer. So it got me thinking what to buy.... Which length will retain its value and be most popular choice as a full deck open hauler? Feel free leave a comment as to why and what you would choose. Thanks!!
I don't recall how long the deck is on my old, heavy, -channel open trailer at the moment because it's stored elsewhere. But I did haul a Challenger and Dart Sport on it for many years. I believe the rear bumpers overhung the back by a foot or two and there was exposed deck up front to walk around with the car on it. However, I have a few suggestions/ideas you might want to consider.

* The 5000lb axles with a good idea. My trailer has 5,000lb axles with 235-15 radials but I considered them just "adequate" after the fact. I traveled A LOT and thought 15" tire life could have been better. Consider 16" wheels to fit your bolt pattern if you don't go to the 6,000 axle combo. Axle bearings lasted longer once I switched to Amsoil's best synthetic grease. I prefer things to be bigger/better/higher rated than the max they will be used for. I was a little short on the tire/axle combo. But my trailer was a lot heavier than most.

* Extra weight was added to the trailer with a 6'x2'x2' construction site tool box with a little, full width storage bin inside. It helped to organize a lot of the usual plus extra stuff I wanted to carry while reducing clutter in the truck. They usually have extra secure padlock recesses and the top serves as a convenient table when working on the engine. (Just gotta check for wasp nests in the padlock recesses periodically.) Tool box also acts a barrier to some bugs & road debris. I protected the tool box corners with thin diamond plate. I also closed up the trailer tongue "V" with an aluminum 3/16" floor to walk on or carry some smaller stuff on.

* Because I didn't have a garage, I had the trailer built higher up with a partially open middle so I could get underneath and do some regular servicing. i even changed transmissions and center sections on the trailer using boards on the axles for the floor jack and to slide the trans down to the ground under the trailer. (Not easy!) You can incorporate a dovetail to drive on while keeping the middle section flat to just forward of the rear end to allow a place to drop the center section and floor jack to jack the car the car up. Measure trailer floor widths carefully to allow convenient placement of floor jacks. (I forgot to get measurements to accommodate jacking up the front end on my trailer conveniently. But I got by.) The down -side of the trailer deck being higher is possibly needing ramp extensions for lower cars or deeper oil pans. The up-side is a higher deck provides more door clearance with the car on the trailer which may eliminate the need for removable fenders.

Consider 2 spare tires. But I traveled far and am over-cautious.)

I probably added a 3000+ dollars of customizing to a trailer cost but I'm just throwing out some ideas that might be worth considering and prioritizing accordingly. I guess the sale applies to existing trailers?

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have a 18' and it will haul a 8' bed truck with no issues.
I guess it is down to what you are hauling.
I would add a good electric winch to what ever you buy, it makes loading dead cars alot easier.

For low slung cars removable trailer fenders are nice. For these cars also consider beaver tail and longer ramps.
My present trailer, I bought used at a good price. Then cut the tongue out of it and used an HF engine hoist jack to turn it into a tilt. One of my brighter moments,although the tongue setup now needs a bit of reinforcement where it "Y's"

It now has the big toolbox re-installed up front

_mg_7235cs-jpg.jpg

Hauling the V10 donor truck home in order to convert the then 2WD tow truck (Cummins) to 4WD. I did not tilt it for this. I have two stub "hitch receivers" welded on the rear corners to stick tongue jacks in, to support the rear. Works pretty well

img_1697cs-jpg.jpg

I have a 20' steel deck trailer, 16' flat deck with 4' dove tail. I put an aluminum tool box across the front with my winch in it and plenty of storage space. It also has 4' ramps with 2 3500 pound axles with brakes on the front axle. Pulling the trailer with my 2500 pound Demon on it is a breeze, you barely know the trailer and car are there.

-
Back