opinion on cuda fender "gills" on 69

-

69cudafla

Reaction score
anybody seen or heard about e-body fender "gills" on a 68 or 69 if ya have pics please post i wanna see before i drop the $$$ for e body vents and cut up my good fenders...also anybody used any fiberglass repro besides a hood like bumpers or anythin?

Don't do it.

But I think a Shaker hood looks pretty cool. There were pics here of a pink 69 with a shaker that looked really neat.

I think 69 is the best year to put a shaker on. as for the gills I don't think I would spent that kind of money on them

already got the shaker hood in motion right now it's a fake shaker one of thise stick ons from lund. since the military don't pay me the big bucks to afford a real one right now i have to save up but it'll happen for real eventually.

Well, we've seen Billboards show up on the 67-9 Cuda's, and when they're done correctly, they're sharp..............

I'd kinda like to see the gills myself..........I'll have to do a mock-up somehow........anybody know how to photoshop that kinda stuff ??????

Intriguing idea.......................:sign7::glasses7::sign7:

I have looked into doing the gills, not gonna since I think they look to big on Abodies.

Shaker hood however rocks!

One of the graphics companies was selling printed stick louvers.

What about color printing some from a very good picture of some. Then cut them out, double stick tape them up to your car to see how they would look. Take some test pictures too.

That would give you a real 3D idea of how they would look.

One of the graphics companies was selling printed stick louvers.

What about color printing some from a very good picture of some. Then cut them out, double stick tape them up to your car to see how they would look. Take some test pictures too.

That would give you a real 3D idea of how they would look.

that is a good idea

I would have to see it. Not sure how it would work. There was a place making them as decals. Saw them at the bats years ago . Damn if they didn't look real walking by

I'd photoshop it first. Those damn second generation fenders are worth a fortune... I'd be reluctant to cut into one and step back and think "What have I done!"

Shaker maybe.... 8)

Not intending to sound harsh here, but IMHO it rarely looks good or convincing to graft iconic parts from a totally different car (ie. 71 cuda gills) onto a car that was never designed with that in mind.

If you want to have "gills" why not try using those small "gill-like" faux fender and hood vent stick ons that they make for late model chargers and 300Cs? At least that way its cheap, easily applied (and removed), and probably more in scale (no pun intended - fish/scale ... haha) with 69 cuda fenders anyway.

I agree, photoshop it first. The panel is available as a patch.

I rarely like mods like this myself but its not my car so....

'Cuda gills on a Dart has that 'ricey' smell to it. Remember when most civic, integra, prelude, celica, etc owners put BMW Z3 imitation gills on their rides a few years ago? It looked horrible and screamed rice!

i haven't heard of the cinyle decal gills but i have seen the small chrome ones thats sell for 6 bucks a pair i might get a few and stick them on jus to see but yes the photoshop idea is a great one. also anybody seen this mock AAR stripe before i kinda like it in black on a lime green notchback ...opinions?

70_Mid_Strobes.jpg

also anybody seen this mock AAR stripe before i kinda like it in black on a lime green notchback ...opinions?

I'd like it better if it was higher up on the fender, just down from the peak.

yeah i agree it's too low when i install them on the cuda it'll be higher up i don't like low graphics. i''ve though about havin my name painted above the doors like a race car but it's gonna be a daily driver so i'm kinda if'y about it

i haven't heard of the cinyle decal gills but i have seen the small chrome ones thats sell for 6 bucks a pair i might get a few and stick them on jus to see but yes the photoshop idea is a great one. also anybody seen this mock AAR stripe before i kinda like it in black on a lime green notchback ...opinions?

That's factory stripe. It's a strobe stripe availible for all 70 Barracudas and 'Cuda except AAR's of course.

You're NEVER gonna get a cheap Chinese "stick-on" to look ANYTHING like a correct Cuda gill.

For a correct installation, but removable, a fabrication would have to be done by eliminating the back "interior" of the gill (the recess), and replacing it with a flat panel.........then the gills could be attached with 3M tape or adhesive.

Before I'd even think about it, I'd want to see a photoshop mock-up AT LEAST.

AAR stripes and Billboards done correctly both look good on the 2nd generations in my opinion. I can't discount the gills unless I see something.

We have some great artists here..........HOW 'BOUT A DRAWING ??????

I had gills and a shaker in mind originally for my notchback but I decided that was cool in concept but way too much work so I just went for the aar strobes.

i'll look into the fabrication of the gills and try to work up a drawin as well but as far a s areal shaker yes it's very expensive even for a used on thats why i opted for the 3m adhesive one as a temp so make sure i liked it such as this one

553f_1.jpg

i rather like the gills somethin you don't see alot of i know the purists will argue but i think i'll go for it thanks moparclown!!

That's a great job Clown, but I'd like to see the whole car in perspective before I'd make a decision...........

A pic of a Notchback in a high impact color, next to a 71 in the same color would be a great comparison.....solid color like the 71's......The Cuda's didn't have a swept fastback like the 2nd generations did.......me thinks the Notch might give a better overall look..............

Just a couple cents to throw into the pot............

-
Back