Opinion on one time backfire?

-

ToastToAlmost

Reaction score
I have a "smogbog", low compression 440 out of a motorhome that I'm currently running in my fish with a fairly new Edelbrock carb 750cfm with vacuum secondaries.

Today I was swapping out my Ballast resistor with a new one as well getting rid of the old original black box ecu that looked like it shouldnt even be working in favor of a new chrome box ecu.

I decided to take it for a test drive around the block. Car starts right up, but as I accelerate down the road it backfires. I figured that's what I get for not letting it warm up before taking off, but just wanted a second opinion.

Once it was warmed up 5 minutes later it ran like a top, and, if anything, was burning rubber better than it ever did with the old, worn out ecu

Usually, if I try to take off too fast before it gets up to temp youll feel it bog momentarily and then catch up with itself, but once it warms up its fine. This is the only time it's ever actually coughed though.

Does this have anything to do with the new ecu, or was it just a fluke of me not letting it warm up? The only other thing I could think of is maybe the new ecu has a stronger spark compared to the old, making the carb's current jetting a little too lean in comparison? Forgive my noobness.

It's also worth noting that I don't run a choke at all, as I'm in florida where its always warm, and also because I know next to nothing about carbs :newb: I don't mind going easy on the car for the first couple blocks until it warms up. I just want to make sure this has nothing to do with the new ecu.

yeah the box is hotter.is the ballest resister the correct one?if so drive it and check the plugs and make ure they look good......

timing ... back it off 2 degrees and check it tomorrow. Edelbrocks dont mind backfires like holleys do.

-
Back