OPINIONS...........CHROME OR PAINTED RALLY MIRRORS?

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Here is a photo of a Light Gunmetal 1971 Demon that my friend built (RIP Randy). If you are from the west coast of Canada you probably recognize the car.

I am painting my 1971 Demon the same Light Gunmetal and will have the same hood treatment with the exception of my scoops being satin black. I am pondering painted vs chrome rally mirrors as well as black or chrome scoop bezels, with or without 340 call outs. Any opinions out there regarding possible combos? Thanks FABO

Opinions please

1971 demon6 (2).jpg

The mirrors I like both ways. I prefer the chrome hood scoop bezels, the black bezels just don't look finished to me.

Ask me about PSC Liver Disease

Definitely chrome scoop bezels with callouts.
For the mirrors, it kind of depends if by "painted" you mean body color or flat/satin black... definitely not black, but I'd be okay with either gunmetal or chrome.

Painted mirrors, Chrome scoop bezels, 340 emblems on black scoops...

And that is a good looking Demon.....

One of my favorite colors Troy. That car is beautiful, Randy had great taste.
My 67 Coronet was Gunmetal grey.
In my opinion paint the mirrors body color, scoops body color.
Show Randy's car to your painter, see what he thinks? Be tempting to have him do a tasteful one off of some sort.
340 badges and chrome edge could be added if you change your mind?

Hi Folks

Here is a photo of a Light Gunmetal 1971 Demon that my friend built (RIP Randy). If you are from the west coast of Canada you probably recognize the car.

I am painting my 1971 Demon the same Light Gunmetal and will have the same hood treatment with the exception of my scoops being satin black. I am pondering painted vs chrome rally mirrors as well as black or chrome scoop bezels, with or without 340 call outs. Any opinions out there regarding possible combos? Thanks FABO

Opinions please

View attachment 1716208438
I think your friend's car looks perfect and that's how I'd do it.

Chrome if you have chrome elsewhere like trim pieces and such. Painted if you don’t like fiberglass bumpers, blacked out trim, etc..

The chrome bumpers and window trim set the colors off perfect imo. Chrome mirrors in my opinon would be too much chrome.

That car is perfect in my opinion. I dislike chrome ralley mirrors because it reminds me of JC Whitney.

Painted mirrors, Chrome scoop bezels, 340 emblems on black scoops...

And that is a good looking Demon.....

This.

I like chrome mirrors on cars painted dark colors, but I think with that silver they look better body color. Not enough contrast for the chrome.

This.

I like chrome mirrors on cars painted dark colors, but I think with that silver they look better body color. Not enough contrast for the chrome.
Exactly ! Especially on a Winchester car . Chrome is too close of color yet not quite matching .

Beautiful Demon. I vote no chrome on the mirrors.

I have chrome mirrors and HAD a chrome gas cap. It was just too much. I painted the gas cap black and the mirrors will be done factory color some time down the line.

St.Michaels2023.jpg

Just don’t paint the mirrors black. That would stand out like a sore thumb.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prep chrome to paint it? I have a pretty good set of chrome ones but I am not averse to painting them if I can't find a nice set of painted ones. I assume that they are made of the same material......Just a different finish?

How To Paint Over Chrome​

Written by The Garage on February 9, 2024
There’s nothing quite like the brilliant gleam of polished chrome trim. Unless, of course, you prefer a different look. While the glint of chrome plated bumpers and trim has long been a hallmark of American classics, painted accents serve as a powerful counterpoint to this aesthetic. Body-colored bumpers, for example, can lend a modern, integrated appearance to an older vehicle. Blacked-out window trim often yields a more performance-oriented look, with the very real benefit of eliminating unwanted glare and reflections.
The very quality that makes chrome so desirable – a nearly impervious, glass-smooth finish – makes it nearly impossible to paint properly. For paint to adhere to any surface requires a degree of “toothiness” for the paint material to lock onto when it cures. Before a piece of metal trim is chrome plated, it is usually finely polished first. This alone reduces the metal’s tooth. But the chrome surface, once plated, is also exceptionally hard, making it difficult to add tooth back with abrasives.
That said, it is possible to paint over existing chrome. However, it requires patience and more than just a casual hit of spray paint if you want it to last. To demonstrate the process, we grabbed a chrome-plated valve cover we had laying around and went to work. Importantly, the chrome itself was in great shape with no pits or peeling. We masked each step as we went along to show the progression.

The Process

Preparation

Start by washing, drying, and degreasing the part. We recommend a prep solvent like Eastwood Pre Painting Prep to ensure all oily residues are removed. Avoid using parts with pitted or peeling chrome plating if possible. These flaws may not allow the paint to adhere properly and will likely show through the paint anyway.
Scuffing chrome trim
We used 220-grit sandpaper in a crosshatch pattern to prepare the part for primer

Scuffing

Using a coarse grade of sandpaper (between 120- and 220-grit), sand all surfaces where paint will be applied. If you have larger, flatter surfaces, you can use a DA sander. For smaller trim or more intricate surfaces, hand-sand in a crosshatch pattern. Sand the chrome until the surface is evenly and thoroughly scuffed, paying close attention to corners and recessed areas. Wipe the entire part with prep solvent to remove any sanding residue.
Priming scuffed chrome part
After scuffing we applied two coats of 2K epoxy primer and lit cure for 24 hours

Priming

A self-etching primmer will ensure the best adhesion between the scuffed chrome and the paint. We recommend a catalyzed two-component (Refers to a two-component paint system, which consists of two separate components that need to be mixed before application. The first component is the paint itself, which contains the pigments and other color elements. The second component is the activator or hardener. This activator is a chemical compound that, when mixed with the paint, initiates a chemical reaction. This reaction causes the paint to cure and harden.
" href="2K - The Garage™" data-mobile-support="0" data-gt-translate-attributes="[{"attribute":"data-cmtooltip", "format":"html"}]" tabindex="0" role="link" style="box-sizing: inherit; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(14, 45, 112); transition: all 0.1s ease 0s; text-decoration: none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(0, 0, 0); font-weight: 600;">2K) A highly durable paint type known for its strong adhesion and resistance." href="Epoxy - The Garage™" data-mobile-support="0" data-gt-translate-attributes="[{"attribute":"data-cmtooltip", "format":"html"}]" tabindex="0" role="link" style="box-sizing: inherit; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(14, 45, 112); transition: all 0.1s ease 0s; text-decoration: none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(0, 0, 0); font-weight: 600;">epoxy primer for best results. Apply at least two coats of primer to ensure full coverage and allow to cure for 24 hours before continuing. If you see sanding marks through the primer, apply another coat or two and allow to cure again for 24 hours. It’s critical that the primer fully cure before paint is applied.

Painting over chrome trim
A day after priming, we came back and applied two generous coats of Underwood Black trim paint

Painting

Once the primer has cured, painting the part is essentially the same as painting any other part. Scuff lightly if the primer has cured for more than 48 hours. Spray your paint in multiple light coats, building up as many layers as possible without losing details. Allow each coat to dry completely before proceeding to the next. Depending on the desired finish, clearcoat can be applied on top of the base color, but we recommend a minimum of two color coats.

Paining over chrome valve cover
Here you can see the original chrome finish (left) followed by the scuffed chrome, primer, and the final paint

Finishing

For many applications (black-out trim especially) no further work will be required after the paint cures. However, if you’re color-matching or have clearcoat, you may wish to cut, polish, and buff like you would a body panel. Use extreme caution not to overwork anything painted over chrome, hand polishing wherever possible.

How To Paint Over Chrome​

Written by The Garage on February 9, 2024
There’s nothing quite like the brilliant gleam of polished chrome trim. Unless, of course, you prefer a different look. While the glint of chrome plated bumpers and trim has long been a hallmark of American classics, painted accents serve as a powerful counterpoint to this aesthetic. Body-colored bumpers, for example, can lend a modern, integrated appearance to an older vehicle. Blacked-out window trim often yields a more performance-oriented look, with the very real benefit of eliminating unwanted glare and reflections.
The very quality that makes chrome so desirable – a nearly impervious, glass-smooth finish – makes it nearly impossible to paint properly. For paint to adhere to any surface requires a degree of “toothiness” for the paint material to lock onto when it cures. Before a piece of metal trim is chrome plated, it is usually finely polished first. This alone reduces the metal’s tooth. But the chrome surface, once plated, is also exceptionally hard, making it difficult to add tooth back with abrasives.
That said, it is possible to paint over existing chrome. However, it requires patience and more than just a casual hit of spray paint if you want it to last. To demonstrate the process, we grabbed a chrome-plated valve cover we had laying around and went to work. Importantly, the chrome itself was in great shape with no pits or peeling. We masked each step as we went along to show the progression.

The Process

Preparation

Start by washing, drying, and degreasing the part. We recommend a prep solvent like Eastwood Pre Painting Prep to ensure all oily residues are removed. Avoid using parts with pitted or peeling chrome plating if possible. These flaws may not allow the paint to adhere properly and will likely show through the paint anyway.
View attachment 1716208869We used 220-grit sandpaper in a crosshatch pattern to prepare the part for primer

Scuffing

Using a coarse grade of sandpaper (between 120- and 220-grit), sand all surfaces where paint will be applied. If you have larger, flatter surfaces, you can use a DA sander. For smaller trim or more intricate surfaces, hand-sand in a crosshatch pattern. Sand the chrome until the surface is evenly and thoroughly scuffed, paying close attention to corners and recessed areas. Wipe the entire part with prep solvent to remove any sanding residue.
View attachment 1716208870After scuffing we applied two coats of 2K epoxy primer and lit cure for 24 hours

Priming

A self-etching primmer will ensure the best adhesion between the scuffed chrome and the paint. We recommend a catalyzed two-component (Refers to a two-component paint system, which consists of two separate components that need to be mixed before application. The first component is the paint itself, which contains the pigments and other color elements. The second component is the activator or hardener. This activator is a chemical compound that, when mixed with the paint, initiates a chemical reaction. This reaction causes the paint to cure and harden.
" href="2K - The Garage™" data-mobile-support="0" data-gt-translate-attributes="[{"attribute":"data-cmtooltip", "format":"html"}]" tabindex="0" role="link" style="box-sizing: inherit; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(14, 45, 112); transition: all 0.1s ease 0s; text-decoration: none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(0, 0, 0); font-weight: 600;">2K) A highly durable paint type known for its strong adhesion and resistance." href="Epoxy - The Garage™" data-mobile-support="0" data-gt-translate-attributes="[{"attribute":"data-cmtooltip", "format":"html"}]" tabindex="0" role="link" style="box-sizing: inherit; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(14, 45, 112); transition: all 0.1s ease 0s; text-decoration: none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(0, 0, 0); font-weight: 600;">epoxy primer for best results. Apply at least two coats of primer to ensure full coverage and allow to cure for 24 hours before continuing. If you see sanding marks through the primer, apply another coat or two and allow to cure again for 24 hours. It’s critical that the primer fully cure before paint is applied.

View attachment 1716208871A day after priming, we came back and applied two generous coats of Underwood Black trim paint

Painting

Once the primer has cured, painting the part is essentially the same as painting any other part. Scuff lightly if the primer has cured for more than 48 hours. Spray your paint in multiple light coats, building up as many layers as possible without losing details. Allow each coat to dry completely before proceeding to the next. Depending on the desired finish, clearcoat can be applied on top of the base color, but we recommend a minimum of two color coats.

View attachment 1716208872Here you can see the original chrome finish (left) followed by the scuffed chrome, primer, and the final paint

Finishing

For many applications (black-out trim especially) no further work will be required after the paint cures. However, if you’re color-matching or have clearcoat, you may wish to cut, polish, and buff like you would a body panel. Use extreme caution not to overwork anything painted over chrome, hand polishing wherever possible.
Thanks for this......Something tells me that my patience level won't be able to handle it.......A man needs to know his limitations .:)

How much other chrome trim does your car have?

Drip rail
Belt
Wheel arch
Side molding

IMO if it has belt molding or side molding, chrome looks good.
If it does not, then painted body color.

How much other chrome trim does your car have?

Drip rail
Belt
Wheel arch
Side molding

IMO if it has belt molding or side molding, chrome looks good.
If it does not, then painted body color.
The car has chrome drip rails and chrome accents on the leading edge of the hood, and fender extensions. The car also has factory tinted windows......Black stripes on the sides and rear.

-
Back