Opinions from those who have Mopars but no garage

-

zebra3

Reaction score
Hi All,

It seems like, from searching historical threads, that a handful of you on here don't have a garage. I'm wondering what you guys without garages on your house (or condo/apartment) are doing as far as parking for your car(s). Driveway? Plastic/metal carport? Rented storage (seasonally or year round), etc? Did you feel any hesitation about buying your car without owning a garage first?

Thanks.

Carport is a good start.

00A0A_d4n7KtDowo_0dm09T_1200x900.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

When I went thru a divorce and lost the shop in the settlement I went to a storage place and rented 2 @ 10’x20’ storage units and parked them year round.
Eventually a friend allowed me to park one at their house. Cutting the bill in half. Now I have a few places to park I own but back then, I did not have a pot to pee in but I refused to give up on my cars. Glad too because the prices have gone thru the roof. Good luck on your quest for protection. A car cover is minimum and storage garage is best. Sorry I hope this helped.

I have one outside, been through about 4 expensive car covers. Probably could of bought the above with what I spent in covers:(
Did you find that they scratched the paint or trapped in moisture (during non-winter months)? I've read a lot of negative reviews, but if it works for you, that's something to consider.
When I went thru a divorce and lost the shop in the settlement I went to a storage place and rented 2 @ 10’x20’ storage units and parked them year round.
Eventually a friend allowed me to park one at their house. Cutting the bill in half. Now I have a few places to park I own but back then, I did not have a pot to pee in but I refused to give up on my cars. Glad too because the prices have gone thru the roof. Good luck on your quest for protection. A car cover is minimum and storage garage is best. Sorry I hope this helped.
Hey, nice to see someone else from CT! Obviously around here storage is needed in the salty months, but I'm thinking that from May-October one could do without and save a couple thousand dollars. The places nearest me want $200/month for the size you described.

Did you find that they scratched the paint or trapped in moisture
The expensive ones claim breathable and water proof. No noticeable scratching. Some breath better than others. They`ll last as long as the warranty, 5-6 years. I get the full 4 seasons here.
I always get the coated cable that goes under so the wind storms don`t blow them off.

Mine lives on the street. Birds **** all over it. Tweakers mess with it. It is what it is.

Just dont bother with nice paint.

I have a couple of car buddies that bought houses with NO garage, I suspect it was because they knew I was a Carpenter that would be asked to rescue them. I can't help but find it pathetic to see a car guy intentionally buy a place without having adequate working space, even a single car garage. If you're dead broke, sure....you do what you can. These two guys had jobs and wives, they just took advantage of their friends.

I had to rent an apt when I moved from Arizona so the car was kept in a storage facility for 3 years.
1705150729770.png

Don't go too small.....hell I can't even store half of em..smh....lean 2's and extending back wall....then pouring slab...need 60' long....I cross my fingers every wind storm we get......trees trees trees

20230823_094432.jpg

20240102_120958.jpg

20240110_155005.jpg

2 of mine sit in a attached car port on the side of the house.
Not the best but better than nothing. Rental costs around here are about $250 a month to squeeze a A body into.
Those costs add up fast.

Did you find that they scratched the paint or trapped in moisture (during non-winter months)? I've read a lot of negative reviews, but if it works for you, that's something to consider.

Hey, nice to see someone else from CT! Obviously around here storage is needed in the salty months, but I'm thinking that from May-October one could do without and save a couple thousand dollars. The places nearest me want $200/month for the size you described.
I keep my Subaru outside under a car cover. Beside the neighbors calling the police to complain about the car cover “ruining the neighborhood” or “there’s a dead body inside” it has protected the car. Mine have lasted about 2 years before I have to get a new one in Southern CA.

If you know any older, retiree type people....get them to ask around amongst their peers to see if someone may have space in a garage you can rent. I did that for a few years with a little old lady that lives down the road. She had a detached garage and rented me one side of it for $50 a month. I paid her the lump sum in advance and helped her out moving and lifting stuff she needed help with. Win-win for both of us.

Car covers can definitely bruise and scratch the paint if left on outside when it's windy. I've got a couple spots on my duster where the cover has worn through the paint.

Car covers can definitely bruise and scratch the paint if left on outside when it's windy. I've got a couple spots on my duster where the cover has worn through the paint.
X2 I had a custom fit cover on my wife's CJ-5 one winter is all it took to completely trash the paint, never again will I use a car cover outside.

I have a 30x40x10. I have cars at my mom's house in her 24x45 garage. I have cars at my dad's in his 40x60 shed and I have cars up the side of my shop and behind the shop in a flat lot I made... Soon I'll be cutting woods down and tucking cars back there. It's a real addiction. I have the nicest ones inside the sheds and all the derby cars stay outside and parts cars. And I have a bay open for one derby car at a time and one parts car at a time. I need a 200x200 warehouse then if still over flow that with parts and cars....

Snapchat-1525435934.jpg

20220806_133231.jpg

LOL, yea but every state has it's pluses and minuses. We have the best pizza bar none!
It's been less great since Sinapis closed. But very true, we have what most other states don't, pizza, bread, bagels, any dough product is better here.
Hey! The communist state of Connecticut!
Yeah that's a fact, and I'm on the opposite side from where you are. In the past two years I have seen exactly one a-body Barracuda at a show in western CT - a 1968. That's it. Seen a bunch of Darts though. The show they do at the Danbury War Memorial is probably the biggest until you get further north. I followed one of the Mopar groups of CT on facebook but they mostly just post about eastern CT.
If you know any older, retiree type people....get them to ask around amongst their peers to see if someone may have space in a garage you can rent. I did that for a few years with a little old lady that lives down the road. She had a detached garage and rented me one side of it for $50 a month. I paid her the lump sum in advance and helped her out moving and lifting stuff she needed help with. Win-win for both of us.
That's a great suggestion, I'll remember it.

-
Back