Opinions needed on Mopar Slant Six Purple Shaft Cam...

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about cams so I would like some help. I have been thinking about doing up the slant in my Aspen to put in my Valiant. Shave the head maybe, possibly bigger valves, port/polish, header. To run this cam, what would my slant have to have done to it? The car is 100% street (racetrack 3 hours from me.)I drive it everyday in the summer. How much would you pay for it? And if someone here looks and buys it? Oh well, atleast a FABO member got it. :)
It's on ebay here...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=330166563048&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014.

Well,I can tell you that that's the cam I put in my '69 Dart,and I loved it !!!I too shaved the head .090,.170/.144 Valves,9:00/1 Cast pistons,Offy 4bl intake,Hooker headers,manual shift valve body and 3:91 gears !!! Could Cruise the highway @ 70mph no prob,get 15 mpg and take it to the track and run a best of 9.81 / 1/8mi !!!! I originally put MP's 528/278 Cam in,but for some reason the drive gear teeth broke !!! MY OPINION,GO FOR IT !!!:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

If you decide not to get that cam, look up slantsix.org, there is a erson cam group buy. Its not really a group buy, call up erson, tell them you heard about them from slantsix.org and you can get a great price on cam and lifters. Your choice of cam.

also you need to consider what year your car is cuz in 1980 they switched from a solid cam to a hydrollic cam and they are not interchangable and it does not look like the tell you in the ebay listing whitch one they are selling but they are correct in stating the mopar purple cams shaft for the slant 6 is discontiued in my opinion I would go with the erson cam they will cut you what you want (not the old method of wow I found this let me build my engine to what I happen to come across) that is just my 2 cents

So what is the best way to buy a cam? I dont know what I am even doing to the motor yet. I "hope" for, shaved head, port and polish, "maybe" bigger valves, headers, probably a 2 bbl. Do I build the motor first and then pick a cam or build a motor around the cam?

I see you joined over at .org. That was a good 1st step. Ask your questions 1 at a time. Let people know HONESTLY how much you are going to spend,What you want out of the car, How long you expect it to take, And what your skill level is.
Most of the people will give you the best advise they know how. And help you every step of the way.
Frank

your best bet is to know what you want your engine to do (within reason) then you plan the engine around the original idea. First find a machinist (one you can trust that will do the job right and in a timely fashion within your budget) Then go to slantsix.org and talk to Doug Dutra, if you can tell him what you want and he will tell you what cam you should go with BELIVE ME HE KNOWS THE SLANT SIX better then anyone iv ever seen he can also give you tips for the little horsepower gains to get like oil stand off tubes and grooving the lifter bores all that little good stuff. And if he is to bussy to help then (he is a verry bussy person) I would contact Racer Brown they are really good with any mopar engine (they custom grind cams) Also if possable find a machinine shop that will contact the cam grinder to give them the specs for the engine this can really help the cam grinder get a good idea of what you need. Another good scorce is this artical.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/sa-franks-book/sadesign-frank-sl6chapter.htm

this will help you tremendously read it, re-read it, then read it once more

Thanks for the info guys. I havent even got the engine out of my Aspen yet so thats step 1. But the deal on Erson cams on slantsix.org has me wanting to build the motor around the cam, I don't want to miss this deal! :) What do you guys think of buying the cam first? I am happy with my stock slant so if a "new" one has more horse I'll be happy. I was looking at the "270" cam. What kind of mods would work with it? thanks again.

Make a plan and stick to it.
Purchase nothing until you speak with a few of these fellas on whats what and how well it works.
Ask to see there combos and how they perform. Purchaseing a cam now could only mean throwing money out the window. And if thats the case, my window is open 24-7 ;)

What happens if I stick with my automatic? Maybe I should choose a different cam. I don't really want to cut up my car, so putting in a 4 speed, although i would like it, is out of the question. Thanks for the input.

The 270 cam is about the most you will want on a street machine. I looked at your question on .org. I think you will be best served by a super six setup and a 264 range cam...It will still get good mileage and is fine behind your auto tranny. Just a piece of info a lot of racers use auto trannys so dont let that worry you. A 904 will handle more power than your slant will put out.
Frank
PS the Erson Cam buy is ongoing so no hurry.

Freak77 let me know how yours goes. I am working on a 67 gt auto but have decided to go from the head down. I was bidding on the cam but didnt get back in time to beat the high bidder. I have a dual 1 bbl intake,mopar 6-1 headers,shaved the head .050,bigger valves and did some mild porting just to play. This car is going to my son for his 1st ride if he wants it so I dont want to much go just better than stock and intresting looking under the hood. Good luck. I would post pics but am chalenged in that dept. Any help would be beyond appreciated. Thanks all & have fun. Dean:thumbup:

Camshaft should be one of the last things you buy. As has been said before, make a plan, and stick with it.

I would spend the money to have a good head done first. The head is the real key to power on a Slant 6.

Converter, car weight, and rear end gears are an important part of camshaft selection too. Too much cam or not enough gear will really kill a Slant car's performance.

-
Back