Opinions on a Roadrunner...

-
Volare... woah-oh... Id take any 71-74 RR not the Volare one so much but yea, I call the 73-74 the Daisy Duke Road Runner :thumbsup:

Last edited:
5k is way too high for a 74. Road runner is not even a model in 74 but a trim package added to a satellite. Many had 318s

I just sold a 69 Road runner for 8 grand. Numbers matching air grabber car. Granted it was a project car that needed a lot of work but that was the real deal muscle car. Most people are going to see that 74 going down the road and not even know what it is. They will probably think it's an old granada or a montego.

001-e1398865505432 (1).jpg

182608_Front_3-4_Web.jpeg

5k is way too high for a 74. Road runner is not even a model in 74 but a trim package added to a satellite. Many had 318s

I just sold a 69 Road runner for 8 grand. Numbers matching air grabber car. Granted it was a project car that needed a lot of work but that was the real deal muscle car. Most people are going to see that 74 going down the road and not even know what it is. They will probably think it's an old granada or a montego.

I saw a Granada at the drag strip last weekend...it was a blast from the past a friend had one back in High school..I worked on it a few times, it was my introduction to wrenching on Fords :)..I dunno, it's different everywhere and its a regional thing but, in my area its difficult to find a complete car for 5 K its usually someone's started project, and it needs floors,trunk,etc sheet metal work and most everything from the drivetrain to interior is missing. if you can start out with a car that's all there that's a plus, and at 5 grand even more so IMO. Case in point there is a 65 barracuda rolling shell, with a 340 , and a large bolt rear and small bolt disks etc,for $6500. i wouldnt touch that as most of the rest of it is missing,the only thing that may be good is the 340 and even then....

We have not heard back from the OP.
I know a lot of people hate FB mainly because of their politics. Or lack of! But it has many good car people and specific group for certain models. If a person wants to know what the died in the wool enthusiasts for say, 68-70 B bodies, there is an active group there that cusses and discusses it all continually. Some reading will tell you want 68 RR are going for in what conditions. Same for71-? B bodies, A bodies , you name it.
But I have always argued the definition of a muscle car was thought up by some advertising dude (dud) at Pontiac, pushing the GTO (Goat).
Give a 62 Max wedge or even my old 73 Base Charger, (not a Rally) 400 4 speed car , one of 75 built! No one called either a "muscle car"! ha
No on wants to "overpay" for anything but if the buyer is satisfied with his buy, that is what really matters.

74 RR's were not bad but not the best.
I mean they didn't look as good as the 72 and below years. But if there is one in good enough condition, is solid with very little work needed, $5K is not too bad.
I mean I've seen a few like this... Again not bad IMO
74 Road runner.jpg

Now in 1975 is whole different story, not my taste. Yes there is a small following for 75+ Road runners. To each their own.
Sadly the Chargers in 1975 received the same treatment.
This here reminds me more of the Granada or the Grand Prix:
1975 Road runner.jpg

Sorry, princess but Road Runner's were still a separate car line for 73 and 74 with VIN starting with "RM".

The GTX was no longer it's own "RS" VIN car line but a Road Runner optioned with a 440 became a GTX package. That actually started in '72.

5K was a deal IMO. The '73-'74s were/are decent lookers.
Lol, I had a white with black interior '68 in HS and I learned everything not to do with an automatic trans. Traded it for black with white interior '72 way back out of HS. Had a chance on a '70 but I didn't care at all for the way those grilles looked.

The GTX was no longer it's own "RS" VIN car line but a Road Runner optioned with a 440 became a GTX package. That actually started in '72.
FWIW, My '72 factory 440 RR, bought in '76, never sported a GTX badge.
I wasn't into cameras back then, but I do have a couple pictures of when I loaded my '70 six pack (which I still have) on it in my outdoor garage back in November '78.
upload_2021-6-12_7-42-37.png

Other than the grille RR badge and stickers, these were the only others on the car..........
upload_2021-6-12_8-3-16.png

upload_2021-6-12_8-4-8.png

1972 GTX package got stickers IIRC.

73/74 got emblems.

It did not have GTX emblems (pictures) or "GTX" stickers. The Stickers I referred to above were the birds.

upload_2021-6-12_10-23-51.png

I would call that a decent buy for 5K.

View attachment 1715729475

View attachment 1715729476
I do like that Montego, always did, same with Torinos, had several of them. If anyone thinks some Mopars are hard to find parts for, those are nearly impossible, at least around here.

So, small update.

We were able to contact the second owner who was able to confirm some speculations we had. The car WAS ordered as an intentional sleeper. The original owner chose the E58 360 over the 400 as it was lighter and faster, and the stripe delete and tan color was intended to "blend in". The car is very well optioned with AC, PS, PB, 9.25" rear with 3.23s and a SureGrip, tilt wheel, slapstick, buckets/console, Rallye dash, deluxe interior trim, rear defrost and more.

My brother is currently going through the braking system and fuel system, getting it back roadworthy.

Once he gets it back on the road, I'll update.

My cousin has a 73 RR 340 4-speed car, its a pretty nice car, he lucked into it, a guy he worked with did not know what he had, and traded even for my cousins iroc Camaro.
The Camaro in my opinion was worth maybe 3K. This was about 5 years ago, but my cousin still has the RR.

-
Back