Opinions on shifter please

-

1969GTS

Reaction score
So, as some of you may have read in my other post "some how" my console shifter got broken at the paint shop. I've done some searching for a replacement shifter and am having a hard time paying over $100 for a forty year old shifter. Demon seed put an after market ratchet shifter in his console and it looks sharp. I do want to hit the track a few times a year and doing it with a factory shifter could be catastrophic if I hit neutral at 6500 RPM. I like the idea of a ratchet shifter over a stock shifter but I don't like the idea of cutting the centre bracket off the floor. Its not a hemi cuda but GTS's are getting rare. should I:

A) Ignore my scottish side and pony up for a stock shifter for originality.

or

B) Go for functionality and get a quick silver so I can meet NHRA rules.

Again,

Thanks for the input

OK,

I'm leaning toward the ratchet shifter like Demon seed did and no one is stopping me?

build what you want. if you are doing a one of a kind restoration maby not. but its your car. no reason to not do it lol. i want to get a gts and do a bunch of carbon fiber and chop it all up lol. cut and chop your car all you want:)

Drill the spot welds out on the brackets and put them on a shelf in your garage. If you decide to go back stock, weld them back on.

I have a Hurst auto stick, and really like the positive shifting. Sorry no console.

I've been reading on all the problems with cables melting and am leaning toward the CHEETAH SCS. I hate the look of the B&M street bandit and thats the only rear exit cable operated shifter other than the cheetah. I'm not too concerned about the bracket anymore as it looks like a simple job to remove it and weld it back in if need be. The feed back on the cheetah is good but they are sure spendy. Bottom line is I only want to race a few times a year and they wont let me near the track without a NHRA shifter. I'm just looking for the best deal on a cheetah now. I'm looking for a spare console top top cut and may wind up doing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qQsmLmExT8

I've been reading on all the problems with cables melting and am leaning toward the CHEETAH SCS

i have that shifter and love it. won't use anything else now that i have experienced how nice that shifter is. it is so smooth operating its crazy. easy as hell to install and the cable wraps around the passenger side of the trans and goes around the rear of the trans. that is great because it keeps it away from most of the normal hot spots.

the mopar shifter is NOT a reae exit cable. it exits the front of the shifter and then loops back and around the rear of the trans. some kind of special cable that allows the tighter bends in it. it really is a great shifter.

dartshifter.jpg

dartshifter2.jpg

I've been reading on all the problems with cables melting and am leaning toward the CHEETAH SCS. I hate the look of the B&M street bandit and thats the only rear exit cable operated shifter other than the cheetah. I'm not too concerned about the bracket anymore as it looks like a simple job to remove it and weld it back in if need be. The feed back on the cheetah is good but they are sure spendy. Bottom line is I only want to race a few times a year and they wont let me near the track without a NHRA shifter. I'm just looking for the best deal on a cheetah now. I'm looking for a spare console top top cut and may wind up doing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qQsmLmExT8

So far I really like the Cheetah shifter, I am going hook up the cable this weekend. I will let you know how it goes if you are interested.

DSCF0098-1.jpg

I still have a ton of work to do to the car.

Aftermarket for sure.I have a console that would be a good canidate to cut
on if your looking.I may have the stock shifter too if you want to get one to throw on the shelf if it goes back stock someday.

not the only forward pattern rear exit shirter. I have a sweet one that i dont think is made anymore. Plus I dont think you would have to carve up your console that much. i cant use it because of the my pattern. its new and still in the box.

I only want to race a few times a year and they wont let me near the track without a NHRA shifter.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm planning on putting in the center console with the stock auto shifter in my 67 Barracuda. Mostly street cruiser, but occasional bracket racing (Friday night street legal drags or sportsman). When I finish my project, the car will probably be lucky to get into the 12's, but I haven't built the engine yet, so I don't really know. What is the cutoff for allowing stock shifters?

-
Back