Opinions on used Ford Escape

-

1973dust

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Daughter's friend has offered her a 2016 4wd Escape with 117000 on the clock. She did say that the RDU growls when the vehicle has been driven for a while. The car looks clean otherwise, has good rubber, and the girl's dad is a mechanic. Her and our daughter are good friends so we feel confident that they aren't trying to pass off a lemon. I'd appreciate any thoughts, good or bad, or anyone's experience with Escape's. I've read some not so good things about trans and EPS problems. Thanks.

Sounds like your spidey senses are already tingling that it might not be a wise addition to your fleet…….

Sounds like your spidey senses are already tingling that it might not be a wise addition to your fleet…….
Exactly, I don't want to pass on a good deal but not convinced that it is one.

We have been using my MIL's 2015 Escape Titanium for the last couple of weeks and it seems to be a fine little SUV. We had it serviced and inspected and they didn't find anything wrong. All recalls are up to date. We are thinking of buying it from her because she is elderly and doesn't drive it much as in only has 58k miles. I guess I'm going to have to look up problems associated with the RDU? I don't even know what that is.

Rear differential unit which apparently splits torque between front and rear if all wheel drive. The internet gives the impression that they aren't particularly reliable and are used in all AWD Fords.

We got given an Escape, my granddaughter has had to drive it for a year, no accidents, which she has just completed, and my grandson just got his learners.
Had to fab up a right rear upper shock mount cuz of rust .
Airbags and ABS .
No Drama .

We have a 2004 Escape XLS 4x4 we bought new. Best car we have ever owned hands DOWN. Had to have the transmission rebuilt at about 160K. Did all the upgrades to it. Now it has a tic under 200K. There's a BIG difference between the 4x4 and the AWD. I don't recommend the AWD. It has the dreaded fluid viscous coupling. Those are the vehicles that must have sequential serial number tires so they are all the exact same height, or bad things can happen to the viscous coupling. Ours has a REAL transfer case with a switch on the dash that engages it. There is no viscous coupling on the 4x4, unless they've changed them from the design of our car. Ours has been a dang goodun.

In my opinion, I wouldn’t buy a used car from a friend.

IMG_0952.gif

My mom's Escape rotted out. Apparently they are "known" for this? That being said Moms not the best on maintaining vehicles lol.

Thats smack dab in the middle of the defective cylinder block design that causes head gasket failure and requires a newer style short block to repair ,research before you buy.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think we're passing on this one. We weren't really looking anyway.

We have a 2004 Escape XLS 4x4 we bought new. Best car we have ever owned hands DOWN. Had to have the transmission rebuilt at about 160K. Did all the upgrades to it. Now it has a tic under 200K. There's a BIG difference between the 4x4 and the AWD. I don't recommend the AWD. It has the dreaded fluid viscous coupling. Those are the vehicles that must have sequential serial number tires so they are all the exact same height, or bad things can happen to the viscous coupling. Ours has a REAL transfer case with a switch on the dash that engages it. There is no viscous coupling on the 4x4, unless they've changed them from the design of our car. Ours has been a dang goodun

Where does it state sequential serial numbers must be used for all four tires????

I think you meant to say all four tires must be the same size????

Daughter's friend has offered her a 2016 4wd Escape with 117000 on the clock. She did say that the RDU growls when the vehicle has been driven for a while. The car looks clean otherwise, has good rubber, and the girl's dad is a mechanic. Her and our daughter are good friends so we feel confident that they aren't trying to pass off a lemon. I'd appreciate any thoughts, good or bad, or anyone's experience with Escape's. I've read some not so good things about trans and EPS problems. Thanks.
Caveat Emptor, let the buyer beware

we have a 2011 Escape...issues are rust yes rear quarters , TPMS the light that comes on saying "low tire pressure" because it is AWD it is good to know if the tires are going flat however the light can be disabled with a 25 dollar scan tool type thing and then you'd have to check the tires monthly like the good old days...AC R 134 a leaked out over a month or so after recharge. I am going to recharge with dye next time, I suspect a condensor behind the grill as Ive seen some oil on the one lower corner of it.... The trans needs constant drain and fill because there is a non serviceble internal filter so yes you can do it at home but its a flush type operation requires multiple quarts of a synthetic fluid= expensive. Oil leak- I see some oil in the valley under the intake, apparently there is a PCV/ breather under the intake made of plastic that deteriorates and leaks...there may be more of a leak but I want to start at the top. Apparently if te housing is bad you cant get it out of that valley without removing the head...typical stupid Ford nonsense putting plastic where it shouldn't be and then making it unserviceable. It has the ignition cylinder wear issue if you turn the key sometimes, nothing but if you "push in and turn" it cranks over... Our escape is 180K plus miles though Id like to add. It was an as is 4000 used 4x4 that's how I see it for the wife in the winter...other than what is mentioned it seems like it starts and runs and can drive it anywhere etc. I feel bad for people wanting a cheap used car any more cheap is 5 grand and the car is a POS :)

-
Back