opinions... project:not so smart

-

scampy72

Reaction score
so heres the idea guys, this is just an idea for now btw, wanted to see what you guys think. as a pure exhibition drag car, i want to put a 440 power plant into....a smart car. full cage widened and stretched body, pretty much would have to be like a funny car i guess, just the body, motor and one seat. i figure the engine and tranny would take up the entire car, so yup there it is. tell me what you think, there will be no hurt feelings i promise.

Anything that so viciously mocks the concept of the "smart" car gets my enthusiastic approval. :thumbrig:

I think it'd be one of the most badass projects I have seen in a while. I say go for it.

A smart car isn't cool no matter what engine you put in it.

Also, pissing in hippy's corn flakes has been stale for quite a while.

Buy a V6 Challenger and put the 440 in there.

I say go for it....But also, a 440 in a v6 challenger sounds like a viable option!!!!!

so heres the idea guys, this is just an idea for now btw, wanted to see what you guys think. as a pure exhibition drag car, i want to put a 440 power plant into....a smart car. full cage widened and stretched body, pretty much would have to be like a funny car i guess, just the body, motor and one seat. i figure the engine and tranny would take up the entire car, so yup there it is. tell me what you think, there will be no hurt feelings i promise.

Scampy

I don't want to rain on your parade but if you intend to run that Smart Car at a sanctioned track it has to be certified as an Exibition Car and that requires up front approval from the sanctioning bodies. That means you have to submit a full set of detailed plans to both IHRA and NHRA prior to the build process. It may take a while to get all the paperwork signed so be patient.

I do hope you go through with it and Good Luck with the project.

sscuda

=P~

Scampy

I don't want to rain on your parade but if you intend to run that Smart Car at a sanctioned track it has to be certified as an Exibition Car and that requires up front approval from the sanctioning bodies. That means you have to submit a full set of detailed plans to both IHRA and NHRA prior to the build process. It may take a while to get all the paperwork signed so be patient.

I do hope you go through with it and Good Luck with the project.

sscuda

=P~

thanks for thwe info, ill have to look it up.

as for the tranny, like i said ill need to lengthen the entire thing.

as for the challenger.... been done too many times, and im also gonna have a 440 in my scamp so yea

There is a little Firefly around here that sports a bb and it's nuts. Definitely got a lot of watthehelisthat? when I saw it a few years back.

Grant

If you do manage to stuff a 440 in there you won't have any room for the driver, LOL! Smarts are crazy even with little Hayabusa 4-bangers in them, I can't imagine what kind of lethal weapon one would be with a Mopar big-block. DO IT!!!

kay update: took some measurements of a smart car and looked up some of the measurements for the 440, i hope theryre right. anyway looks like if i get a custom driveshaft made that will only bee a couple of feet long at most, ill still have to lengthen the car about 2 1/2 feet maybe 3 to be safe. still sketching.

kay update: took some measurements of a smart car and looked up some of the measurements for the 440, i hope theryre right. anyway looks like if i get a custom driveshaft made that will only bee a couple of feet long at most, ill still have to lengthen the car about 2 1/2 feet maybe 3 to be safe. still sketching.

I like the way you think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!8)

Might be easier, but have the same effect, to do it to a Honda Insight (the first generation, not the new ones they came out with). It's as light or lighter than a Smart car, and a little longer, so you might need to lengthen it as much, if at all. Also, they have a fairly large rear hatchback area that you might even be able to make it a rear-engine car, but then you would have to stretch it for sure.

I saw a video of a couple Smart cars with Hyabusa engines, and they were screamers.

Why not put a 572 crate hemi in it?
Then you can call it a "Maxwell Smart" car.
Paint "Go big or go home" on the side of it.
I like it!
Do it!

-
Back