opinions welcome on build.

-
I always get a chuckle out of the rod ratio discussion.
A 4” crank with a 6.123” rod is nearly identical to every stock 454bbc ever made(4” with a 6.135” rod”).
One of the most popular rod/crank bbc combos is a 6.385” rod with a 4.25” crank.
1.50rr vs the SB Mopar with a 4” crank at 1.53rr.

I always get a chuckle out of the rod ratio discussion.
A 4” crank with a 6.123” rod is nearly identical to every stock 454bbc ever made(4” with a 6.135” rod”).
One of the most popular rod/crank bbc combos is a 6.385” rod with a 4.25” crank.
1.50rr vs the SB Mopar with a 4” crank at 1.53rr.

If the SBM had the port of a BBC I wouldn't care either. All Chrysler's are horribly induction limited.

BTW, if you read what I said, the OP can use a 6.250 Chevy Rod and an off the shelf piston with a 3.79 crank. The bonus was a bit of Rod ratio back. And a shorter pin height.

I’ll take the cubes.

427” with j heads, dual plane intake, ex manifolds........

Peak Hp varies by 5 numbers from 5600-6300.

Same top end and block at 402”..... peak hp varies by 4 numbers, within the same 5600-6300 range.

32hp more from the bigger motor, no loss of usable rpm....... with heads/intake/ex that are way too small for either combo.

Picked up 34tq too.

Last edited:
I know. It's what I have. I know there not W9's or Victors. Mark.
Honestly you have better heads than most who tell you they arent enough.lol its comical.
I ran j heads 186cc port flowing 280's ...the motor was a bad ***. Destroyed everything on the street. It had no issue pulling into 7k.
I blew the cylinder wall out in my 1978 block however. Building the short block now, same heads and cam...carb had a loose throttle shaft-sucked air and wen lean on no.5 which is the closest cyl to it.

IMO, I think you're putting the cart before the horse.
IMO I think you need to rethink street/strip ....... because a 7000 rpm engine with 3.91s is often a lousy street combo, as shown in post 7. Cuz if you can tame your traction issues, then; 7500 is too high for street in first gear, and 4450 is too low in second. I can almost guarantee you a 5speed hot 318 is gonna embarrass you from zero to sixty mph, cuz your 7000 engine ain't coming up on the cam until near 70 mph, might go thru the power peak at 6700/90, which is probably about right for a stroker in the Eighth. Then on the shift the Rs will fall to 4600 still at 90mph,but it won't hit the power-peak again until about 125/130 mph, which is a really really long pull from 90. And of course, it takes about 480hp to go 125@3200# So
Ok wait I can see how what I wrote might be ambiguous. What I mean is that I'm not interested in drag racing, and I ain't interested in losing my license, so I'm a zero to 60 kindof guy. I mean I'll pay an imprudent fine which doesn't go on my license, but I won't be caught speeding for 85 in a 65; cuz up here the cops kindof frown on that and try to throw everything they can at you, and you end up walking for 5 years.
That means I optimize my gearing for max power at or near 60 mph, in second gear, cuz I know First is gonna be a throw-away gear on account of no traction. And I'm gonna hammer the brakes to not exceed65.
With that in mind, maybe what I wrote makes more sense.
The above is compleat brain dribble.

My Plymouth with it's 600 ++ horsepower, runs tens and gets driven on the street. It's never gotten me pulled over or caused me to louse my license. It's capable of blowing off any street tires I've ever put on it in high gear from a standing start. Does it mean I drive it like a fool on the street, no just the opposite. I don't need to ring it out on a public road because I am well aware of it's capability, there's a time and a place. But I do enjoy taking it for a drive around town, sometimes I wonder why more guys don't take there weekend warriors out for a cruze, it's hard not to notice a car coming through the park with a 1400 rpm idle. :)

Why in the world would I put a year's wages into a street brawler and then idle it thru a park at 1400. I couldn't gibachit if anybody notices me. In fact I hope they don't.
No I'm driving thechit outta mine as much as I can for as long as I can, to get my money's worth of fun out of it. During the first five years I even drove it non-stop thru every winter, stuffing a 318 into it and testing different transmissions and gear combos. I drive my heap. If/when it breaks, I fix it and drive it harder until something else breaks.
While the 367 was out every winter, I freshened it up, and modified the guts to make it more reliable, so I could drive thechit out of it harder again, next summer. I'm getting my money's worth.
And all the while you were doing what on the street? oh I remember; idling thru the park at 1400. Yeah that's helping OP. Get a merry-go-round

What PRH says
WE did a semi crate engine program with 3.75 crank 6" rods
with a few 4" cranks and 6 " rods 4 " bore for 400 inches
They even ran blown fuel with that combination
and a very few with 4.250 cranks and 6" rods 452 with a 4 1/8 bore
The only ones we kept the revs down were the 452s ( and the heads did that )
But also what YR says about the chevy rod and inexpensive piston makes sense
some combinations just make more sense than others
lots of pistons available for 4" stroke and stock 4 1/8 rod
(but I'd go longer rod if it makes sense)

Just saying there's a hell of a lot more enjoyment then what's in your head.
I put roughly 2k in milage a year on my Plymouth so it wasn't just around the park. In the future it will drive the 60 miles to and from the strip. In the past I drove it to and from work 20 miles a day a week at a time. Nothing but a blast to drive.

Why in the world would I put a year's wages into a street brawler and then idle it thru a park at 1400. I couldn't gibachit if anybody notices me. In fact I hope they don't.
No I'm driving thechit outta mine as much as I can for as long as I can, to get my money's worth of fun out of it. During the first five years I even drove it non-stop thru every winter, stuffing a 318 into it and testing different transmissions and gear combos. I drive my heap. If/when it breaks, I fix it and drive it harder until something else breaks.
While the 367 was out every winter, I freshened it up, and modified the guts to make it more reliable, so I could drive thechit out of it harder again, next summer. I'm getting my money's worth.
And all the while you were doing what on the street? oh I remember; idling thru the park at 1400. Yeah that's helping OP. Get a merry-go-round
And your approach doesn't make much sense to me. You spend all that effort building a nice performance car and never take it to the track. My assumption is that the OP may want some time slips , not just tire spin on the street.

The above is compleat brain dribble.

My Plymouth with it's 600 ++ horsepower, runs tens and gets driven on the street. It's never gotten me pulled over or caused me to louse my license. It's capable of blowing off any street tires I've ever put on it in high gear from a standing start. Does it mean I drive it like a fool on the street, no just the opposite. I don't need to ring it out on a public road because I am well aware of it's capability, there's a time and a place. But I do enjoy taking it for a drive around town, sometimes I wonder why more guys don't take there weekend warriors out for a cruze, it's hard not to notice a car coming through the park with a 1400 rpm idle. :)

Same here I can drive my Dart to the strip and run some 6.50 passes and go for ice crème afterwards.

You'll se a lot of guys with hot rods talk about how fast their cars are but never have them on the strip.

Just saying there's a hell of a lot more enjoyment then what's in your head.
I put roughly 2k in milage a year on my Plymouth so it wasn't just around the park. In the future it will drive the 60 miles to and from the strip. In the past I drove it to and from work 20 miles a day a week at a time. Nothing but a blast to drive.
I drove mine summer and winter 10000-15000 miles a year for many a year. In the first 6 years she had probably over 80,000 miles.By ten years old she had maybe 100,000 miles on her. By 15 years she had been semi-retired for a bit, cuz I moved on. Today she has over 125,000, and the engine is still strong.
My son even got to drive it putting a few miles on it while still living at home, and eventually took it to grad. Neither of us ever crashed it; Right from the beginning I told him; it's just a car. If it breaks we'll fix it. I built her to be beat on, and beat on it we did.
I know you and I are in different worlds; that's just how it goes.

I drove mine summer and winter 10000-15000 miles a year for many a year. In the first 6 years she had probably over 80,000 miles.By ten years old she had maybe 100,000 miles on her. By 15 years she had been semi-retired for a bit, cuz I moved on. Today she has over 125,000, and the engine is still strong.
My son even got to drive it putting a few miles on it while still living at home, and eventually took it to grad. Neither of us ever crashed it; Right from the beginning I told him; it's just a car. If it breaks we'll fix it. I built her to be beat on, and beat on it we did.
I know you and I are in different worlds; that's just how it goes.

Very few cars here are driven like that I'd bet. The day of year round hotrod is gone, we all have are project cars that aren't even close to practical to drive as a year round daily driver. I think your projecting something that is irrelevant at this point, a hotrod is a hotrod and the degree of drivability is irrelevant. There build for fun and not to yours or any body else's standard. Sometimes I get the feeling that you haven't built any thing but what you have and that's simply all you know, and that's to bad. There's a so much more to the hobby than whats in your window.
Build a modern 408 with compression and aluminum heads or high compression and e-85 and forget the antique small block you have. Bringing your experience up to date because your thirty years behind the time's.

Well you hit it on the head.
I'm a semi-retired,sexually frustrated and becoming overweight because of it, 66 year old, living the teenager's dream, but now with a car not on E70-14 Polyglass tires. That 1970 Swinger340 is the car I learned to drive in; I think there would not be many 16 year olds today who could survive more than a few hours in one of those before wrecking it. The way I remember it, 49 years ago, it was like driving on ball-bearings.

Something you can get a 2.19 or 2.25 intake valve in would be a good build. 450 or so cubic inches with a 400 block .

If u got a 68 barracuda , and no one notices it , something is wrong to start with . You must live in a tree huggers village ! = hate .

I`d have to see that to believe it ! Polyglass ? No way .
In fact it's true. Look up FAST cars... Factory Appearing Stock Tire. There is Dave Dudek in a black 69 Hemi Roadrunner that has
gone 10.14 @138 to my knowledge, and Lane Carey in a 71 Mustang Cobra that has gone 9.84 @139 (I looked this one up).
They are running heavily modified engines putting 800+HP on Polyglass tires!

In fact it's true. Look up FAST cars... Factory Appearing Stock Tire. There is Dave Dudek in a black 69 Hemi Roadrunner that has
gone 10.14 @138 to my knowledge, and Lane Carey in a 71 Mustang Cobra that has gone 9.84 @139 (I looked this one up).
They are running heavily modified engines putting 800+HP on Polyglass tires!

AH SO , "factory appearing" , not stock old style polyglass !=== Hell , those old tires were dangerous even back then w/ h.p.

yes, i think Daves RR has hit 9's now on F70 15 belted Red Lines. He's a touch over 700 hp.
Street cars are very different than quarter milers.
I'm with AJ and Ramm.Big cube and big torque are best suited to heavy cars or trucks.

AH SO , "factory appearing" , not stock old style polyglass !=== Hell , those old tires were dangerous even back then w/ h.p.

The polyglass tires are made like the old ones and have to be a size that was available on the car when new. That's what is most impressive is that these cars are working with such a small tire

The polyglass tires are made like the old ones and have to be a size that was available on the car when new. That's what is most impressive is that these cars are working with such a small tire
the originals didn't bite worth a crap , gotta be a diff in them now .
I`d bet a dollar to a donut the rubber aint the same !

No...they have to be factory appearance and use StockTires. These are very trick built cars...seems to me ignition advance is held back until above 50 mph in these engines among other things.

Last edited:
I remember how happy I was when the radials came out and the Swinger finally got some manners.
When 75 rolled around,I sold that tired old girl .She was on the second engine, second rear end, second driveshaft, third clutch at least; and I had reconditioned the A833 at least twice.
And from the time I got it in the Fall of 70,to fall of 75, she had gone thru 7 pairs of rear tires. Yes I was, working in a tireshop; part-time of course, on account of I was still in grade 10, and Momma said she wasn't gonna raise no hi-school drop-out.
My nick-name in hi-school was ditcher, cuz the Swinger was down and up the other side more times than I can remember, on those sick tires.
But the 8-track was still pounding out CCR, BlackSabbath,Deep Purple, and all those great old tunes; when I said good-bye.

Last edited:
-
Back