Orange box or....?

-

frederick_76

Reaction score
So im getting together some ignition parts for an upgrade. Car is a 67 Barracuda, wanting to go Mopar style electronic ignition. I have the magnetic pickup distributor ( New stock looking from Summit). im reading some not so good things about the new Orange box, what is the better way to go? Whats the more reliable box? The motor is a 408/4 speed. Thanks.

Last edited:
The Jegs kit comes with a FireCore distributor and Rev 7500 ECU. The FireCore you can adjust your total timing without welding and filing like the stock distributor. They sell the kit with spacer and springs too to change the advance. Vacuum advance is adjustable too. Summit sell the same distributor under there name too.

My opinion, if you still have your point dizzy.

Dial it in for your needs and get with a pertronix III and follow “all” the rules for it to the letter!!! Coil and plug wires! Bypass your ballast from behind and smile! JMO!

Certainly I am not the only old school Gold box guy using this setup and smiling for a good street performance car these days!

Last edited:
Otherwise if he’ll bent on adding uneeded harness and such I would try an FBO.

Last edited:
Or just stick with my Good old trusty gold box!

Course I just sold it so? Read the lines. Some racing venues require old school stuff and all good. There are better alternatives today.

Last edited:
So im getting together some ignition parts for an upgrade. Car is a 67 Barracuda, wanting to go Mopar style electronic ignition. I have the magnetic pickup distributor ( New stock looking from Summit). im reading some not so good things about the new Orange box, what is the better way to go? Whats the more reliable box? The motor is a 408/4 speed. Thanks.

In regards to a reliable box or ecu ?
The early orange boxes were good compared to Mopars latest versions. Try finding (early)used or NOS orange or chrome boxes on eBay, online websites, swap meets. Harder than it sounds, as they are drying up.

Standard Blue Streek still makes a Mopar ecu (LX101). Thats worth a shot.

Also found this ecu, harness, ballast kit at Jegs. Looks like it has pretty good reviews.

And of course, Mopar harness is still available.

smp-lx101_w_ml.jpg

555-40805k.jpg

dcc-3690152.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you look at the two box pictures right off the bat you see no markings on the tall transistor, so they just have a small board inside them. Just FYI. I have tested a bunch of the hi rev and they seem better than most out there. As for a vacuum advance adjustability it is just the rate of advance not the amount so you still need one with the proper amount of advance. FBO plates are great for limiting mechanical advance but will not add any, but you need to figure out what curve you need and change the springs as needed for when it goes in also. Hope it helps. The firecore does use the same Mallory style advance system like some MP's did and the total can be adjusted.

The issue for me is.......

There has not been true high quality OEM Mopar components made for a long time. NOS is old, and things can deteriorate in the boxes, the potting material and caps

For me, "redneck low budget" is a reworked Mopar or MP breakerless driving a 4 pin HEI module. Someone recently claimed the Holden modules are better, I don't know.

I'm for the FBO module, plus you get a rev limiter. Get the ballast resister by pas pkg too.

-
Back