orange or chrome ecu box?

-

shadango

Reaction score
I have a 74 318 in my 72 Barracuda.....need to get the ecu box.....I am not sure how the motor is built.....but I was told it was rebuilt to factory specs 5 years ago.

Should I get the orange or chrome box, as I see the chrome has "a hotter spark".......its only a $20 difference but if it is wasted $$$ why spend it....
Thanks guys.

You will be happier with the orange box. The chrome box is meant for a motor that constantly sees a higher rpm range.

Orange box is meant to be a stock replacement. Chrome box has a hotter spark for street strip engines and the gold box was a race only deal.

I personally would just use a quality aftermarket replacement like wells for a street car.

Orange box is meant to be a stock replacement. Chrome box has a hotter spark for street strip engines and the gold box was a race only deal.

I personally would just use a quality aftermarket replacement like wells for a street car.

So nothing to gain by going with the orange box then?

Gotta look myslef I guess but how much does an aftermarket box run?

There were some problems with the Orange box in the past. I have not read anything in awhile about them.

I use a Chrome box on most all the rides. (What Adam said by the way.)

If I'm not useing the Chrome box, a MSD is used and the OE box is still in place just incase of failure. (I've had bad luck with MSD in the past so I leave the stock box in there for a quick swap back.)

You'll notice the Chrome box advantage over the Orange box when your engine is built up.

So it wont hurt anything or degrade performance on my current 318 then?

Like I said, I dont know much about my engine aside from the that it has double row timing chain in it and a deep sump pan on it.

If you have a stock engine there is no reason to get either. The only thing the Orange or Chrome boxes do is extend the rpm range before the output of the ignition drops off. They will not give you a hotter spark in the normal 1000-5000 rpm driving range.

Just go to the local parts store and buy a stock replacement and save another $20 over the cost of the Orange box.

SOunds good to me...just want to get her running for now.

Of course, if it would have made sense to get the "better" one I would spend the $20....

Hey, thats $20 I can spend on the long lits of other stuff....THANKS!

I DID buy the MSD Blaster 2 coil, figuoring that would be better than the stock.

I've been running the orange box on A and B Body BB's for years with very few problems, actually I've had more problems with ballist resistors than anything else. Yes the Blaster 2 is a good choice also.

Terry

Think I'll go with the stock ecu from napa maybe and then a new ballast resister.....I assume I need a 4 prong? My current one is 2 prong....

I was just going to ask for an ECU and ballast resister for a 74 318.....the napa dudes oughta be able to handle that.....

Yes a good counterman at NAPA will fix you right up, The ballist resistor is a must to have and extra one in the clove box.

aaaaaaaaaaamen memike. 2 of everything. volt.reg., ballast res., ecu. it'll save you. trust in that.

Think I'll go with the stock ecu from napa maybe and then a new ballast resister.....I assume I need a 4 prong? My current one is 2 prong....

I was just going to ask for an ECU and ballast resister for a 74 318.....the napa dudes oughta be able to handle that.....

The two prong is what you will need. 4 prong is an older style.

just dont take it out of town cause when you do it will quit! or maybe thats just my luck! do carry spare ign. parts, i currently have a msd 6a box in mine but i kept everything for the elecronic ign. just in case i fails i can move a couple wires and hook up a plan b!

Well, I stopped at NAPA after work and was surprised to see that they wanted $51 for a stock ecu box! They do carry a cheaper one for $38 I think it was.....

I can get the chrome for $58 and the orange for $38 online!

So not a whole lot of difference.

If having the chrome one with hotter spark isnt a BAD thing then maybe I will just go that route anyways. ?? Plus its chrome and will look pretty...LOL

Is the ballast the same for the orange and chrome? Seems that the mopar parts sites that sell the boxes list a ballast for theorange box and for the mechanical advance , but not for the chrome one specifically....

I did pick up a starter relay and a new voltage regulator (chrome look to it) while I was there....Figured might as well start fresh with the vR, and I had no relay....

It probably cheaper to get a kit from FBO for $139. After adding all those parts up after buying everything you'd probably save a few bucks. I am considering purchasing one since I need everything for my ignition.

I think most of these boxes fail because of bad grounds, wiring, and corroded connections. Some components don't get a full 12v when they should, and as a result of increased resistance, the components get hot and fail. I believe my orange box failed as a result of some wiring problems I repaired after the fact.

I now run FBO. It's been rock solid. But yeah...that little voice still says carry spare parts.

Well, I stopped at NAPA after work and was surprised to see that they wanted $51 for a stock ecu box! They do carry a cheaper one for $38 I think it was.....

I can get the chrome for $58 and the orange for $38 online!

$23 bucks at Advance Auto and $28 at Autozone.

-
Back