orange or chrome ecu box?

-
Hmmmm........$28 is sure attractive when every $ counts.....I could always go this route and to get the car running and then get the chrome one later and save the cheap one as a spare....Have you been running one of these dgc333?

They do say that you get what you pay for.....will I be missing out on any performance with teh cheaper one? Will it hold up??

Maybe I am just a sucker for slick marketing....LOL

I have never had any issues with parts I get from Advance Auto but never purcahsed an ECU. As far as ecu's go I typically collect them at the junk yard when I make a trip, its good pocket fodder. I get them home and if the work they go into the spares pile if the don't circular file.

I`ve read what dgc333 was saying about the MP boxes, that the only difference in the 3 is the rpm that they will cover accurately. I think the orange box was good to 6k, chrome good to 8k, and gold to 12k. I have had trouble with the orange box in the past though and I don`t know if there has been anything done to rectify the problems that MP had with them.

try rockauto.com they seem to beat autozone in most prices.

I have a question, I want to replace my orange box, I think it's going bad when it gets hot. Autozone has one for $35.00 but it has 5 pins, and my orange box has only 4, is this an issue, will it work?

the extra pin is the green/red wire. its not used on the conversion. the 5 pin should be fine for ya..

ecudia.jpg

the extra pin is the green/red wire. its not used on the conversion. the 5 pin should be fine for ya..
Joe, As usualy, you're the man, thanks for the quick reply. Do you think this will solve a stalling condition and hard starting when hot? I figured for $35 bucks its worth a shot?

Unless you have 5-pin wiring and dual ballast resistor you can't use a 5-pin ecu. The 4-pin will swap into a 5-pin application but not the other way around.

Just order an ecu for like an 80 Ramcharger and you will get one with 4-pins. The Autozone number for a 4-pin is CR109 vs CR100 for the 5-pin.

just dont take it out of town cause when you do it will quit! or maybe thats just my luck! do carry spare ign. parts, i currently have a msd 6a box in mine but i kept everything for the elecronic ign. just in case i fails i can move a couple wires and hook up a plan b!

you sure? i could swear that i have used the 5 pin box on conversions.

Do you think this will solve a stalling condition and hard starting when hot? I figured for $35 bucks its worth a shot?

not sure. what exactly is it doing? sure there is no carb. problem?

-
Back