Ordered My Driveshaft - '74 B.B. A body - Dimensions

-

wjaholic

My car stole my wallet!
Reaction score
Wahoo! I called up Dynotech Engineering (http://www.dynotechengineering.com/ )this morning and ordered my driveshaft. I have read about a few other people with big block Darts, Dusters, and a Demon or two who had ordered a driveshaft. I scribbled down there dimensions for a reference with mine. I had seen one on e-bay that some one had listed as a big block A-body driveshaft with 7260 u-joints. I am using a 7290 so I could'nt get it. But I did write down the dimensions they used to order it. They had the center to center distance listed as 48 -1/4. I crawled under my car with the order sheet from Dynotech Engineering. From the end of the tail shaft hosing to the center of the u-joint on the rear end is almost exactly 48-1/4. I was surprised, I was thinking they were going to be totally different.

DSCF0087.jpg

The next dimension he asked for was the amount the output shaft sticks out of the tailshaft housing. I told him and 1-1/4"

DSCF0088.jpg

That is the dimension that I hope I didn't screw up and need to take from the edge of the boot or something other than what I have pictured above. From there diagram on there order sheet, I did the best I could.

I have called and spoke to several shops (about 7 different shops). The price varied from just over $300 to well over $400 for a 3-1/2" DOM (.083 wall). I ended up ordering it with a 1350 slip yoke. I really really didn't want to have mis-matched u-joints (front and rear) but... it seems that no one wants to deal with 7290 u-joints.

I wanted to post this as a reference for anyone else with a '74ish A-body with a big block and 727. I am using an 8-3/4 (742 casting). When I get the driveshaft I will post some pictures of it.

Good choice on the 1350 slip yoke. Beeefy! If you can you should change out the pinion yoke to a 1350 also. Good luck. Give us some pics when you get it installed.

-
Back