Oregon DMV and my "crushed" dart

-

Gabriel Larson

Reaction score
Time to talk about everyone's favorite bureaucracy the DMV! So little while ago I picked up my first Mopar a 1970 Dart swinger in Washington with clean title and was even inspected by state police. I went to get a title at the Oregon DMV and they told me that they cannot register my vehicle because it has a crushed notation in the NMVTIS system. They told me it would have to be removed or changed saying it had been sold from the junkyard to get a title. I then called the junkyard number the DMV gave to me and they told me that they had bought the yard awhile back and that the dart was in their system as being sold with a bill of sale in 2011. I was then told that they will have to reach out to the old owners to be able Report it as sold to NMVTIS system. It seems like the original junkyard made a reporting mistake back in 2011 which was never noticed in the state of Washington due to their current title and registration laws and that's coming back to haunt me. Well now That I wait the junkyard to call me back I at least now I have a new found despise for bureaucracy and there dam rules.

Typical gobt. One pair of eyes from the guy getting the coffee for the DMV drones should confirm "it is not crushed." My God people what does it TAKE

That really sucks ! I hate that! I hope you get it straightened out that's a sweet dart! Im a little worried about that too when the time comes to title my challenger, the title i got was a jumped title, the guy I bought it off of bought it in like 2001 and never had it put in his name. I did some research and the previous owner died in 2004 so there is no getting a bill of sale or anything like that from him I just wonder if the dmv will notice that? Do they look at the dates and if the owners still alive ? I guess I could just sign my name and date it for 2001 but I don't like being dishonest. My plan was to just reach out and get a bill of sale from the man who's name is on the title but thats not gonna happen. So I'm not sure how im gonna do it.

I feel your pain, we lived in Oregon (wife from Corvallis) for many years. Finally saw the light and bailed. On plus side even tho you have not lived there in years and turned in your Drivers License they will still send you a ballot and tell you to vote! But no that is not possible, the media told me so.

We're the LeBays prior owners? (Kidding)
Nice ride! Good luck straightening it all out.

Register it in CA, its much easier....Baa haa haa! Seriously, if you register it in another state, new pink and all and then bring it back to OR, would they still say its crushed? Got a garage buddy? Send it to him and don't pay the bill, have him sell it back to you under a mechanics lien. In CA it doesnt even need to get smogged by the seller to change hands, but the buyer in this one case needs to get it smogged. I'm just sayin' maybe there is a work around. You an AAA member? They are super helpful in registering cars as they are not in that "my way or the highway" attitude of the almighty DMV. They bent over backwards when I took possession of my Dads SC400 that was willed to me from Texas. Everything as done at my local AAA branch. No DMV for me on that transaction, thank goodness. Highly recommended for the yearly price for that perc alone

NMVTIS is a real pain in the Ace. It's going to make it impossible to resurrect many old cars. I'll be shocked if you can get the title to yours.

Anyone have a clean frame and title for a '93 D250? Asking for a friend.

Register it in CA, its much easier....Baa haa haa! Seriously, if you register it in another state, new pink and all and then bring it back to OR, would they still say its crushed? Got a garage buddy? Send it to him and don't pay the bill, have him sell it back to you under a mechanics lien. In CA it doesnt even need to get smogged by the seller to change hands, but the buyer in this one case needs to get it smogged. I'm just sayin' maybe there is a work around. You an AAA member? They are super helpful in registering cars as they are not in that "my way of the highway" attitude of the almighty DMV. They bent over backwards when I took possession of my Dads SC400 that was willed to me from Texas. Everything as done at my local AAA branch. No DMV for me on that transaction, thank goodness. Highly recommended for the yearly price for that perc alone

None of those tricks work, thanks to NMVTIS.

Ooh, that system is news to me. Bummer. Ask a highway patrol what the F your supposed to do....NOT driving that car.

That really sucks ! I hate that! I hope you get it straightened out that's a sweet dart! Im a little worried about that too when the time comes to title my challenger, the title i got was a jumped title, the guy I bought it off of bought it in like 2001 and never had it put in his name. I did some research and the previous owner died in 2004 so there is no getting a bill of sale or anything like that from him I just wonder if the dmv will notice that? Do they look at the dates and if the owners still alive ? I guess I could just sign my name and date it for 2001 but I don't like being dishonest. My plan was to just reach out and get a bill of sale from the man who's name is on the title but thats not gonna happen. So I'm not sure how im gonna do it.
Why didn’t you title it when you first bought it. That’s the first thing that I do when I buy a car. I’m sure that there are stories out there where people have spent thousands of dollars on restoring cars only to find out that they don’t own them.

Why didn’t you title it when you first bought it. That’s the first thing that I do when I buy a car. I’m sure that there are stories out there where people have spent thousands of dollars on restoring cars only to find out that they don’t own them.
I did just buy it. The title was jumped before me. I just bought it this summer

Seems to me the way this mess is set up and the typical U.S. fiddle-de-dee, if a car was involved with someone who later died or an estate sale, or one of these "backyard"/ backwoods small junkyards---that routinely go out of business---this whole deal with "making corrections" on stuff like this is going to be a mess

Seems to me the way this mess is set up and the typical U.S. fiddle-de-dee, if a car was involved with someone who later died or an estate sale, or one of these "backyard"/ backwoods small junkyards---that routinely go out of business---this whole deal with "making corrections" on stuff like this is going to be a mess
the most annoying part is that the Oregon DMV agrees that I own the car the junkyard even sent a letter to give them but because it doesn't say sold on the NMVTIS they think It could be a "Cloned" car so no title for me.

And yet a fella builds some hot rod from the ground up. Not a factory number on it anywhere. Get's it inspected by the powers that be. "Show us the money. Here's your title and registration." :BangHead:

the most annoying part is that the Oregon DMV agrees that I own the car the junkyard even sent a letter to give them but because it doesn't say sold on the NMVTIS they think It could be a "Cloned" car so no title for me.
That should be easy to prove if the car has body numbers have you looked for those?

Essentially, the VIN on the dash is removable, because the dash frame unbolts. But what is a LOT MORE difficult to "clone" or fake, especially on a car that is not valuable, is the partial VIN body numbers. One is on the rad support, one is on the trunk seal lip on likely the driver side quarter. And if it happens to have the original trans/ engine, both those should have partial VIN

If this is not a 340 car, point out a few hard facts to the DMV:
1....Until say, 20 years ago, none of these cars were worth all that much, unless some rare pristine unmolested/ garage kept / low miles survivor
2....Point out that most of these girls the cost of restoration is MORE than the damn things are worth on the used market!!! Then ask them "where's the money in that?"

Last edited:
Just tell em it's a nova SS, they'll title it no problem

My '65 was off the road so long it dropped out of "the system" so in 1995 so they titled it a "1995 Plymouth Barracuda" (!) , and I was expected to get a smog cert for it. Yeah right...I took it back to the DMV and had the CHP look at it and he had the DMV correct the title as a '65 and NO SMOG REQUIRED. Dumb ****'s pack that place, and they are all fat, WTH?

I went to go title my car just a few weeks ago and boy was there many-a-thing to go wrong.
First, the car was from Oregon, owned by a family of four, (found toys, paystubs, coloring books, original star wars movie theater cards, etc.). From what I could piece together, the family went on vacation to vegas and they got pulled over by a cop who must of decided it was not road worthy. (all the brakes but one were screwed and must of been screeching like a banshee) so it got impounded in vegas where it sat in the yard for 41 years before the owner of the yard died and his family was liquidating the cars.
The kicker is, the car had not been registered for 41 years and it too was "off the system". the only thing that tied the car to me was a bill of sale. To get everything sorted, it took 4 months chasing paperwork and forms around the house, AAA, the DMV website, all to compile the required 15 DIFFERENT FORMS ALL WITH DIFFERENT FEES. After I showed them the money, ($218.68), I was out of there in an hour.
what a pain.

Get a trusted friend to sign it so the signatures dont look similar, then head on down the road.

-
Back