Oreileys for the win

-
These days if I'm not in a hurry for something I go to Rock Auto, their selection of parts for my old and newer vehicles is usually good, though the older stuff is getting less and less, but if I need it NOW, I go to the Auto Value about 5 minutes from my house. The staff is good, most are pretty knowledgeable, and I know that the assistant manager is a Mopar guy, so if someone else has trouble finding something, I go to him, if he can't find it, they don't have it.
I used to deal with a NAPA in Winnipeg, their staff was exceptional, there was one female counter person who really knew her stuff, plus they had ALL the old school parts books, they could find anything, and they gave me a really decent discount on everything. There are a few other auto parts stores here, including NAPA, but either they don't know diddly squat, or their prices are ridiculous.

I've had pretty good luck with O'Really's, but my go to is the local NAPA. They sell me stuff through the account of where I just retired from, which is a huge discount. I walked in, as always, the other day to buy a Dodge truck motor mount with the interlock plates on it, to use on the drivers side of my 65 Barracuda. They had to get it from another store across town, but it would be there in a few hours. Paid for that ($6) and asked if he could get any parts for really old cars. He asked me what I needed and I told him a transmission mount for a 65 Barracuda. He pecked on the computer, reached over and took a bite of his breakfast sammich and started to walk off! I asked him if he thought he could get one, and he says "Yeah, I think so." and kept walking. I was like WTH? He comes back out front with a box, opens it and asks if that's it? :eek: Had one in the back......another $6! I was stunned!

I order a lot of parts on Amazon. They are usually quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else. I just ordered the exact same part oreilly had for half price with two day delivery. And you can return stuff free most of the time. I got burned by Rock auto on returns. If it isn’t thier fault it costs a lot to return anything.

Oreilly is my local go to place. Buy thier stock. It has been rocketing up for years.

^^^I don't know BUT maybe the O Reilly family has more money than those other two billionaires (gates and what is the other big $$asshole?) combined :BangHead: ?????:thumbsup:

I see all of the bad posted about Rock Auto, but honestly the only issue that I have ever had (and I have ordered hundreds of parts over the years) with them is one order that could have been packed better. Even if an order does end up coming from different warehouses, it is still cheaper than getting at any of my local places (if you can even get it).

I see all of the bad posted about Rock Auto, but honestly the only issue that I have ever had (and I have ordered hundreds of parts over the years) with them is one order that could have been packed better. Even if an order does end up coming from different warehouses, it is still cheaper than getting at any of my local places (if you can even get it).
Only issue that I have had was being shorted one spark plug. Called them and it was in my mailbox in 2 days. Been buying from them for 20 years now.

The best local chain up my way is NAPA. They have a steady crew that's been there a while and know their stuff. Auto Zone is fine for easy stuff or consumables, but not so much if you get too far off the beaten path. AZ also has a good rewards program if you work it right.

The worst by far is O'Reilly's. Their entire staff is so dumb they need instructions on how to breathe. And their customer service doesn't just stink (which it does), it's like they take great pride in winning the horrible customer service contest, held daily at their parts counter.

Thank God I have a local, independent, great parts store run by real car guys - Tony's in Vancouver. They are stellar and I go there as my first choice, even through they are further away.

All the big chains have been aggressively trying to be like Walmart. All you have to do is look up stuff on the computer to work there. It is very hit or miss on the quality of help at any of them around here. Napa and Oreilly seem to have the best help, but it varies from store to store.

Bottom line is a store, any store is only as good as their help and the products they offer. One reason WalMart, in general, sucks, a big one. Lots of cheap chit...cheap. OK so that is better than cheap stuff and expensive. Wait... that is the typial auto parts store these days. Go figure. :BangHead:
:BangHead: :BangHead: :thankyou:

They talk about Amazon using excess packaging...... but I guess it gets the job done.

Overall I'd say speedy shipping, good looking ups guy and now the work starts.

They enclosed packing labels for returns which I don't foresee using.

20230516_172536.jpg

20230516_173015.jpg

I got the disc brake master cylinder I put on Vixen from O'Reilly. They had it the next morning.
Only because you worked there that anything got done at all. Lol
Part stores in general I really gone downhill for customer service let alone parts sometimes. I mean I remember when I was a kid getting bad alternators and stuff from Kragen or Pep Boys, Chief was always decent or Napa. But now everything's crap LOL I'm waiting for my third steering box from nadaZone...

Unfortunately I do shop through Amazon because I can get $30 rotors with free delivery and a ton of other stuff too that Summit wants too much for or wants to get you on the shipping.

Only because you worked there that anything got done at all. Lol
Part stores in general I really gone downhill for customer service let alone parts sometimes. I mean I remember when I was a kid getting bad alternators and stuff from Kragen or Pep Boys, Chief was always decent or Napa. But now everything's crap LOL I'm waiting for my third steering box from nadaZone...
It was after I left.....they all still know me so, yeah. lol

Last edited:
I have access to a mechanic shop only Warehouse, that supplies pep boys also. All the pep boys do now here is Carrie tires and do service they do not carry any parts I don't know how that warehouses doing it was right up 301 from the my home I lost when I got sick. Awesome people there! A 300 and some change dollars steering gear box for my jeep was 110 bucks... RockAuto is okay O'Reilly's actually hooked me up with some USA made engine building tools that were on the shelf. Advance? I do my best to pass them up AutoZone used to have quite a lot of Mopar stuff, the one on Hillsborough avenue prolly still does. Napa is usually good but when I bought some brakes for my Duster they were freaking Chinese after I took the Chinese ones back to O'Reilly's.... Seems like it's kind of a crap shoot these days and yes I hate the fact when some young punk tells me something don't exist (when there's a book shelf filled with catalogs), there's been many times I've went into a store (for some obscure performance part ) and someone will pick up the Accell book or whatever book and they'll find me the exact Part I want, they'll take the time to do it. I haven't been buying any parts anyhow lately heck I blew the water pump on my duster two weekends ago, heck it's a Blessing the fan pop through the hood or through the radiator....

-
Back