Original 1968 battery cable repair

-

68original

Got bourbon?
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Every once in a while I find parts on my cars that I didn't know I had.
Here is a pic of the original battery cable from one of my small block 68's with the Chrysler part number clearly stamped/painted along the entire length. Not a re-pop, original as installed 50+ years ago.
The battery end was cut off, probably a long time ago, by previous owner. I would like to get an original style end put back on this cable so I can install on my unrestored original 68. There is still plenty of cable length so that is not a problem.

Any business or any one here on FABO that could do such a repair? Need somebody reputable as I would think this is a very rare item to have on a car.
Thanks!

Battery cable 2770 662.jpg

May have to find a place that does small runs and repairs for antique and collectors vehicles in general.
I'm trying to recall if I read some place reliable about the forming procedure attaching the wire to the terminal. I think it was a cold formed crimp and 'just' requires the correct tool and terminal.

Every once in a while I find parts on my cars that I didn't know I had.
Here is a pic of the original battery cable from one of my small block 68's with the Chrysler part number clearly stamped/painted along the entire length. Not a re-pop, original as installed 50+ years ago.
The battery end was cut off, probably a long time ago, by previous owner. I would like to get an original style end put back on this cable so I can install on my unrestored original 68. There is still plenty of cable length so that is not a problem.

Any business or any one here on FABO that could do such a repair? Need somebody reputable as I would think this is a very rare item to have on a car.
Thanks!

View attachment 1715714419
I just sent a message to Darin (A12 guy) If anybody knows, he will. (fingers crossed)

I just sent a message to Darin (A12 guy) If anybody knows, he will. (fingers crossed)
I just talked to Darin he doesn't know anyone that has a mold to cast a new cable clamp end.

Maybe time to figure out how to make a mold and make them yourself...and then sell them...

Maybe time to figure out how to make a mold and make them yourself...and then sell them...
The only way that comes to my mind is to purchase a new Cable that has the same gauge wire and has a similar OEM type clamp as you desire. Cut the new cable leaving about 1 inch coming out from the new clamp, Use a NON insulated butt connector of the appropriate size. join your OEM wire with a heavy duty crimper to join the new clamps wire to your OEM Cable. Harbour freight tools sells a hydraulic crimper that can crimp and battery cable size you need down to 00. then use a couple of layers heavy duty shrink tubing to hide the non insulated butt connector. That hydraulic crimper takes both hands to crimp it works. They also sell an inexpensive cable crimper that utilizes your bench vise. Just a thought???

-
Back