Out of a Job...moving back to Florida

-
Good luck with the move i'm praying for ya. Where is home gonna be any ideas. Oldvart thanks that's my opinion also but some of the dumb a--es in this country think the economy is just peachey. Pull your heads out of the sand see how the other half lives if you dare.

Welcome to Florida, As you know Fl is like third in the nation for forclosures. If you're looking for a house, buyers market. If you're looking for a job....................... If you still have kids it's a great place to raise them. The myth that brings a lot of people down here is that it's cheaper to live down here, is only partly true..it's cheaper in a few categories but wages are generally lower and there are a tremendous amount of people who are on a fixed income who are tight as hell. Good Luck

Gary- just read this post... sorry I didnt see it/reply sooner.
I bought a rear stripe from you for my Dart and we spoke ovr the phone earlier in the year.
Please give a call when you get to So FL (Ill pm my #). As you know I live in North Palm Beach so if I can help you out in any way, please dont hesitate to let me know.
Theres some good deals in the Juno Beach/Jupiter area for homes. C'mon up our way!

Best of luck to you and the family on your move back to the sunshine state. Look forward to meeting you. DougC

Welcome to Florida, As you know Fl is like third in the nation for forclosures. If you're looking for a house, buyers market. If you're looking for a job....................... If you still have kids it's a great place to raise them. The myth that brings a lot of people down here is that it's cheaper to live down here, is only partly true..it's cheaper in a few categories but wages are generally lower and there are a tremendous amount of people who are on a fixed income who are tight as hell. Good Luck

Dustoff440 - I am glad to be heading back. When we moved out here 4+ years ago, I did not think I'd ever be able to afford to move back. Thought for sure it was a one-way ticket. The housing downturn is a cloud with a silver lining for me. Selfishly, I hope the market stays low for at least another year or two until my wife and I can save up a sizable down payment for a house. With the BK, our credit is screwed and I figure we will need at least 2-3 years to build it back up to where a mortgage co will approve us for a loan.

Gary- just read this post... sorry I didnt see it/reply sooner.
I bought a rear stripe from you for my Dart and we spoke ovr the phone earlier in the year.
Please give a call when you get to So FL (Ill pm my #). As you know I live in North Palm Beach so if I can help you out in any way, please dont hesitate to let me know.
Theres some good deals in the Juno Beach/Jupiter area for homes. C'mon up our way!

Best of luck to you and the family on your move back to the sunshine state. Look forward to meeting you. DougC

Doug,

I will give you a call for sure. Do you happen to know a realtor that knows the area well and deals with rentals? If so, please either give me a call or send me a PM

Thanks

'nuther qick update - lost my unemployment appeal last week. My former employers argued and won saying I quit for non-job related personal reasons. The Texas Workfarce Commission agreed. I guess honesty and integrity really don't count in the workplace anymore. My wife was PISSED!!! I was too for about 5 minutes. Oh well, would have been nice to get that "back pay" but such is life.

Turned in my 30 day notice at my shop, so looks like I will be "on the road" December 1st! I've got to finish painting a customer's '67 Coronet and then paint the engine compartment in my old Challenger in order to drop the engine and trans in. Then, load up the trailer and tools for the road trip. Plus want to take the family on a little vacation Thanksgiving week. Gonna be a busy month

I won't say what the problem there was...but you can use your imagination. I am sorry about that man. If there is somethin I can do...don't hesitate to ask.

Okay - things are moving along as planned. Painted the '67 Coronet on Friday, now I just have to wet sand and buff it. Got my trailer and some wheels & tires for my '99 Ram last week. Also heard from a Realtor that knows the Jupiter area very well ( friend of a friend). She says our price range should not be a problem (yay) but our credit history, bankruptcy, and me being self-employed may hinder getting a lease from someone (boo). Been selling a bunch of stuff on here, craigslist, and ebay so there will be a lot less going in the dumpster. I think I will place a "free stuff" ad this week so that if there is anything someone can use, it won't end up in a landfill.

Another quick update

Finished painting the LAST Texas customer car for a friend that I met out here. Young guy in his mid 20's. He's had this '67 since he was 15 so it is kind of special to him. We painted it Inferno Red Effect - the "new" Mopar color. Did all of the jambs, engine comp, and the entire car for him. He's picking it up tomorrow.

Today, I re-painted the engine compartment of my old Challenger. The new owner is having me redo it Hemi Orange since he already has a Rallye Red Challenger. I wanted to paint the engine compartment before I set the engine in it for transport - that way I only have to set the engine in it once.

Tomorrow, I will set the engine and tranny into the Challenger and probably go ahead and start on the headliner - that way I can install the windshield and rear glass for the trip to Florida

Overall, I am getting VERY close to wrapping it up here and am getting VERY excited about heading home

Attachments

• jason's 67 finished pic 1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 212
  • jason's 67 finished pic 2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 211
  • engine comp cleared.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 223
  • engine pic 1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 214
  • underside of hood cleared.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 208
Okay - Per my plan - the R/T is loaded up on the triler and the pickup is ready to roll. Hitting the road later this morning for good ole Sunny South Florida!!! My buddy has also found at least 1 shop that sounds perfect - it's bigger than what I am used to but since we will be splitting it, it sounds great. Located in Delray Beach. I will keep you guys posted...

Keep it 'tween the lines man.

Gary, best of luck! I own a sign shop here up in Canada, If there is anything I can do please let me know. Have a safe trip

You have taken the right path, Integrity is something you can never get back as it relates to those with whom you have lost it. Stay positive and positive things will happen. Everything that has every happened in my life that Seemed like the end of the world has led, eventually to something even better.

It's cold here in Arkansas Burrrrr!!
I hope the trans will be ok, and glad to hear you made the trip safe and sound :cheers:

"May" have found a shop - and splitting with my friend, the rent will be the same as I was paying in Texas!!! Now, if I can just find a house soon, I'll be really ready to roll....

Signing a lease on a shop today!!! Still haven't found a house. My truck's transmission ended up gettting hurt on the drive down, however, and just got it back from the shop. Ended up costing $1000 to get it fixed but could have been a lot worse - needed a torque converter, couple of clutches, and both regulator switches.

its call the trickle down effect only the valve is closed .it was a cartoon in a rag i read a man standing at the bottom of a dam on the wall of the dam it states corporate profits he has his cup out with the caption " trickle down already " corporate does not give a rats a## about anyone make the #'s or see ya ...

Hey Gary
Let us know when you get the shop rolling as I have acouple of projects on the go for the winter and will need a couple stripe kits soon. Seems like you have landed on your feet, I know what it is like as I have had to pick up the peices and rebuild for a fresh start before, you are a smart man and God wants you to succeed. Best of luck to you and Happy Holidays
Larry

Effective January 1st

New Shop Address:

Top-Flite Signs & Graphics by ChallengerGary
41 North Congress Ave
Suite 8B
Delray Beach, 33445

New Phone # 561-302-8260

-
Back