Outside Rear View Mirror Issue

-

Demonx2

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Having an issue with the driver door outside mirror and figured I'm not the first guy to have the issue. It's on my 72 Demon avatar car.

The issue is it seems to flop around to an unusable position on hard launches. So you essentially have no outside mirror unless you constantly move it back into position.

It does not feel overly loose but won't stay where you put it with any somewhat hard launch. Does anybody have a way they've "tightened up" one of these mirrors? Need some sand in it or something in that ball swivel area!!

Thx!!

20220929_214140.jpg

I've used super glue with some success. It makes the ball "bigger" so it can regain friction with the sheet metal tab that holds it. Apply the glue, making sure it runs through to the back side. Let it set up, and then adjust. It may take a try or two, and may not hold a long time, but if yours isn't too sloppy, I think you have a good chance for success.

I believe there is a plate on the inside that puts tension on that "ball" to fix it right you need to take the glass off and tighten or rebend that plate unfortunately.

Found this for a '65. May not be exact but.........
One fix is to insert a shim inside the mirror to create more friction and keep the mirror stationary. Door Mirror on a 1965 Barracuda Mopar door mirror with the glass removed; the glass is held on by a snap ring type retainer.
1664539192338.png
1664539297956.png
The arrow shows where the shim stock goes.
1664539344923.png

Found this for a '65. May not be exact but.........
One fix is to insert a shim inside the mirror to create more friction and keep the mirror stationary. Door Mirror on a 1965 Barracuda Mopar door mirror with the glass removed; the glass is held on by a snap ring type retainer.
View attachment 1715992131View attachment 1715992132The arrow shows where the shim stock goes.View attachment 1715992133
I think the main difference between the mirror shown in A56's post and the "Pentastar" mirror in OP Demonx2's post is that the later mirror glass is glued to the shell. The glass on the mirror on my '68 Road Runner fell off, and revealed three posts with blobs of a seam sealer like adhesive. I found a replacement glass on a swiveling display at a parts store. I glued it on, and it held for years, until I sold the car.

I have one of these Pentastar mirrors that is floppy. I'll look to see if I can find a replacement glass. If I can, I'll break the mirror open, and photo the guts.

If the glass has the factory adhesive, soak it in one of those little magnetic dishes in a pool of lacquer thinner and this will loosen up the adhesive enough to pop the glass out.

I have had good luck with a little blue loctite on similar items. After applying a drop swivel it intermittently as it sets up. After it dries it should still be able to be moved with more resistance. I have used this method on swivel sockets that were ‘floppy’.
Yote

Thx fellas. I appreciate each of your suggestions. I'd like to say I need to see people behind me going down the track but if that was so, I probably red-bulbed it anyway! Haha.

I'll give some of these a try and see what might work.

Last edited:
-
Back